Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 04:23:25 AM
714667 Posts in 53102 Topics by 7748 Members
Latest Member: Lucinda02
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  My Mother's Movies « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: My Mother's Movies  (Read 1197 times)
Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« on: December 10, 2003, 01:53:52 AM »

Maybe your mother is like mine when it comes to movies.
Maybe not.

My mother seems to lately be on a DVD buying binge and loves to purchase films where the main character is a young white female between the ages of 18 & 25.  

I tease her about it all the time but she takes it in stride.

I believe that inside, she is trying to deny the inevitable...that she is growing old and realizes that her days ahead of her are less than those behind her.

She deals with this moral delimma by buying such films.
She seems to be trying to recapture her youth.

Keep in mind that there is absolutely nothing wrong with her liking these types of films....it's just a weird little thing that I happened to notice.  She never buys or seems to like films with women her age.
She's 51 years old.

What do you think?

Does your mother..assuming she's still around, go for these types of films?

wickednick
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2003, 02:35:06 AM »

Hmmm my mother is usually oblivous to movies.What I mean by that is she rarley knows about any new movies that are coming out.Usually when she and my dad go to a movie they look in the paper and read the little reviews and go see it.But if there is a movie that has had its trailer on the tv every 20 minutes she still won't know about it.I just find this weird that I usually know everything about a movie coming out but my own mother dosn't have a clue what movies there are.
You people should remeber my little adventure when I went to go see Kill Bill with my family, and how that went.

Smells like popcorn and shame
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2003, 08:15:17 AM »

My mother is actually the person who got me interested in movies . . . especially horror/sci-fi.  When I was a kid, I remember watching movies with her on Saturdays and Sundays.  WAR OF THE WORLDS, JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH, and THE BIRDS are among the movies I have vivid memories of watching.

She's still a movie fan, but she seems to have a very wide range of interests.  There isn't any one particular genre that she seems to enjoy more than others.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2003, 08:42:24 AM »

My parents aren't actually movie fans.  They usually go see/buy films like "It Runs In The Family".  Crap movies.

Over the past few years I've been trying to get them to watch more quality films.  My successes have been Donnie Darko and Boondock Saints.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Will
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2003, 09:22:17 AM »

My mom likes dirty movies. It makes me uncomfortable.

Vermin Boy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2003, 11:48:25 AM »

My mom has a weird habit of connecting any movie we see to the Wizard of Oz. It's the strangest thing; I haven't mentioned it to her, since that'd probably either make her stop or start doing it consciously.

My dad has cool taste in movies; he loves b-movies and weird stuff, and he turned me on to David Lynch. My mom doesn't like weird movies as much (she can't stand violence unless it's in a murder mystery), but she's supportive of my obsession; she brings me home stripped copies of Fangoria from her job at Barnes & Noble.

-Vermin Boy

My site: The Vermin Cave
My band: The Demons of Stupidity
?????: ?????
JohnL

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2003, 06:37:58 PM »

>stripped copies of Fangoria

What are stripped copies?
Susan
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2003, 09:32:24 PM »

You think you'll be any different when your 51..only buying movies with senior citizens as the lead character? lol

My mom doesn't own any dvd's, my dad does. I can easily buy stuff for him, we have the same taste when it comes to sci-fi. obviously my love for movies is not inherited..in fact in real life i don't know anybody who loves movies as much as I do.

Ellie
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2003, 09:52:23 PM »

When I was a youngster I remember movies like "Porgy & Bess", "Paint Your Wagon" and "South Pacific". I know my mom liked other things. I remember "Dark Shadows" being on the TV all the time.  As a family we watched "National Geographic" episodes. Both parents were/are James Bond movie fans. Me too. These days my mom watches alot of Animal Planet shows as well as The History Channel. She is 62 years old.
Susan
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2003, 10:23:37 PM »

My mother is in her 50's and is june cleaver. And yet...she likes Eminem. Because my father thinks rap sounds like shoes in a dryer she wants me to take her to movies like "8 mile" and knows more about new music artists than I do.

The body ages, the mind never grows up

Vermin Boy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2003, 10:28:00 PM »

When a magazine passes its "sell-by" date, bookstores are required to send back the covers of any unsold copies, and theoretically throw the magazines away. However, it's common practice for bookstore employees to simply take home copies, stripped of their covers. This can come in handy when making a collage; I needed to make a collage for a school project on our artistic identities a while back, and my mom came through with a great assortment of filmmaking magazines, comic books, tattoo mags, Highlights, and paranormal stuff.

-Vermin Boy

My site: The Vermin Cave
My band: The Demons of Stupidity
?????: ?????
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2003, 05:06:17 PM »

Films where the main character is a young white female between the ages of 18 & 25?

Well...why is it NOT odd that my DAD likes those kind of movies??  He's 71.  And my Mom watches them with him.  I think we are all in our prime, in the privacy of our own heads.

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
JohnL

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2003, 01:02:41 AM »

>When a magazine passes its "sell-by" date, bookstores are required to send
>back the covers of any unsold copies,

Ok, I knew they did that with paperbacks.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  My Mother's Movies « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.