Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 04:13:31 AM
715257 Posts in 53130 Topics by 7756 Members
Latest Member: Anthonynolla
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent viewings « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 282 283 [284] 285 286 ... 795
Author Topic: Recent viewings  (Read 2123573 times)
bob
I survived Bucky Larson
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #4245 on: October 16, 2011, 10:26:35 AM »

loved it, gets better each and everytime

5/5

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4246 on: October 16, 2011, 11:24:37 AM »

The Head (1959) - This is alot like "The Brain That Wouldn't Die" but not as good.
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #4247 on: October 17, 2011, 02:18:19 AM »

The Fog (1980): Creepy, atmospheric and eventually quite suspenseful mystery spook chiller from John Carpenter. It takes its time to establish its plot and characters and some may find it a bit slow moving but in the end, I feel it delivers actually succeeding in making the fog seem villainous and unsettling. Pretty good ghost story underneath it all, it's not an in your face horror film but a more quieter one than eventually builds into something really creepy. A great cast including Adrienne Barbeau, Jamie Lee Curtis, John Houseman, Janet Leigh, Hal Holbrook and Nancy Loomis, adds to the somewhat familiar spook tale as does its seaside and lighthouse settings. **** out of ***** stars.

Village of the Damned (1960): Spooky early 1960s British Sci-Fi film that feels a whole lot more like horror. A mysterious event that renders the community of Midwich unconscious for several hours ends with all the child-bearing women in the town mysteriously pregnant. Things get even weirder after the kids are born and soon show advancement far beyond their years, an unexplainable mind bond between them and worst of all those glowing eyes that glare at those who dare cross them. Again we have a great cast in George Sanders, Barbara Shelley, Michael Gwynn and Martin Stephens. This one is quite gripping and while it does manage to develop its story and characters, this moves rather quickly as something interesting always seems to be happening. In the end, those glowing eyes are the stuff of nightmares. ****1/2 out of ***** stars.

Children of the Damned (1964): This sequel to Village is much more in the realm of science fiction and much less an out and out horror story unlike the original although it does have elements that should horrify. Children from several different countries are found to possess the same extraordinary abilities and advancement far beyond anything seen before. Each country desires to use the power of each child's intellect to further its own individual cause perhaps at the expense of others and some even desire having control over all the children. However once these special kids learn of one another, they become determined to unite with one another realizing they're more powerful together than apart. Humanity however for the most part soon comes to fear them and their potential to outdo us. Only one man, a Dr. Llewellyn (Ian Hendry) sees them as children who have only acted violently, albeit in a most decisive and powerful display of murder, when attacked by others and sees how our fear can get the best of us.  This is a more challenging science fiction story that is much more in the tone of hard SF given it's slow-moving and thought-provoking and doesn't provide easy answers to the viewer. Those looking for out and out Horror may be disappointed but Science Fiction who can appreciate this style of storytelling may well be pleasantly surprised. ***1/2 out of ***** stars.

Fargo (1996): A clueless car salesman named Jerry Lundergaard (William H. Macy) hires two hoodlums (Steve Buscemi and Peter Stormare) to kidnap his wife as part of a plot to steal a large sum of money in ransom from his father in-law and pay off his enormous debt. Later a pregnant policewoman named Marge Gunderson (Frances McDormand) works to track down a pair of serial killers with eventually the two stories intertwining.

This Coen Brothers film is certainly one of their best. It's filled with a certain level of unusualness and surrealness yet nothing happens that doesn't somehow seem plausible as weird as the story seems to ultimately get. In many ways it's still at heart a simple straightforward story albeit told in a clever and unusual way with characters that are anything but normal and everyday (for the most part anyways). It's graphic and gory and downright disturbing at times and in some ways brings to mind film noirs of the 40s and 50s where one man's wrongheaded choice leads him down the wrong path and totally ruins his life with everything spinning more and more out of his control yet it's a very different take on that too. The general craziness that can accompany life and bad choices, yeah that seems at the heart of this movie. ****1/2 out of ***** stars.

Toy Story 2 (1999): When Woody is stolen by a toy collector intent on selling him to a museum, Buzz and the other toys set out to rescue him only Woody finds life with his newfound Woody's Roundup collection toy friends to be a bit tempting. What choice will he make?

This movie had a bit of everything - drama, romance, action, adventure, parody and most of all comedy. It was a blast to watch and I laughed quite a lot too as well as appreciated several of the nods to some old movie favourites. A great story even if it in some ways is a bit of retread of the first film. Still it even manages to outdo that one which was no easy feat and adds some wonderful new characters to the mix. Lots of fun. **** out of ***** stars.

Toy Story 3 (2010): Woody, Buzz and the other toys are mistakenly taken to a local daycare centre instead of the attic as Andy prepares to leave for college. Now Woody works to try and convince the other toys to return home to Andy only does Andy even really need or want them anymore?

I really didn't think they could outdo Toy Story 2 but yeah I think this one does. It's a bit more emotional and heart-tugging than the previous films and perhaps a tad less humorous but the story and drama is top notch all the way. Again there's loads of action and adventure and even a bit of prison escape intrigue thrown into the mix. There's a few surprises too along the way and some fun new characters added to the mix again. It doesn't get much better than this one. ***** out of ***** stars.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 02:22:48 AM by JaseSF » Logged

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4248 on: October 17, 2011, 06:53:53 AM »

Tron:  Legacy (2010) - Much like the first movie, our hero (Garrett Hedlund as Sam Flynn) goes inside the world of the computer to overthrow the evil forces which rule the grid.  He meets his father, played by Jeff Bridges, and a hot little program by the name of Quorra.  Lots of cool special effects follow.  I liked this quite a bit.  The characters were very likable and there was more than enough plot and action to keep me entertained for the two hour run time.  4.25/5.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #4249 on: October 17, 2011, 07:37:38 AM »

"Damnaton Alley" (1977)
Small | Large

Post-apocalyptic nonsense with a pre-"Airwolf" Jan-Michael Vincent and a pre-"A-Team" George Peppard as two military survivors of the nuclear holocaust, traveling across the bombed out U.S. of A. in their bad-ass futuristic Land Rover from Hell. Along the way they pick up a young orphan (Jackie Earle Haley, later to become the replacement Freddy Krueger) and a Vegas lounge singer, and battle giant mutant cockroaches and scorpions before they reach the promised land of... Albany, New York??

This is one of those movies that I saw on HBO a bunch of times as a kid, I LOVED it then of course, but it's been 25+ years since I've last seen it and as I expected, it has aged terribly. Haha.

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
bob
I survived Bucky Larson

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #4250 on: October 20, 2011, 12:31:32 AM »

5/5 one of the very few movies ever to perfectly combine drama and comedy. also the special effects were amazing consider what the year this Chaplin gem was made

10/5 my all-time favorite is so much better on bluray  TeddyR

5/5 perhaps the most well known exploitation film ever made is a gem, my copy came with a 13 minute short Hemp for America

MST3K Jack Frost 3/5 This movie is incredbily strange. The mushroom guy serves no real purpose in the film, the dubbing is hilariously bad, the title character doesn't show up until 55 minutes into the film yet it's strangely enjoyable

0/5 Where to begin with this jumbled mess? I watched this with a freind earlier who is a gamer, he says that the title and the name of Christian Slater's character are the only things in common with the game. I wouldn't know, I never played it. Reveiwing this purely from a film standpoint it doesn't make much sense. Apparently night can shift into middle day sadly it's not in the Ed Wood funny way, shooting someone through their heart won't kill them, there is a lot of slow motion used throughout for no real reason and for a film attempting to have a serious overone is makes no sense for the main character to have a cool and mellow tone of the voice for the bulk of it. The acting stinks. The ending makes no sense. I don't hate this movie but I think it might be one of the worst movies ever made.....not that surprised since I bought it for 99 cents.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 09:57:49 AM by bob » Logged

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #4251 on: October 20, 2011, 06:34:37 AM »

I watched a Spanish film called THE LAST CIRCUS last night.  Psychotic Happy Clown and neurotic Sad Clown battle it out for the affections of a circus acrobat in the last days of Franco's Spain.  Well done enough, I guess, but not the cheesy horror flick I was expecting.  I hated it.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4252 on: October 20, 2011, 01:35:09 PM »

For the Bible tells me so-The premise of what I thought this was going to be about was interesting: what does the bible actually say about homosexuality and the context and so forth. It discusses that very little though, it's mainly about the struggle for gay rights and so forth, which is fine but I'm from Massachusetts I know the gays are okay I don't need a doc to tell me about it. There's a sizeable part about Dick Gephardt's daughter who came out nationally when he ran in 04, but nothing about John Edwards tacky quasi outing of Mary Cheney at the VP debates. It's okay but something they would show at a fundraiser or something, not all that much about the bible. 3/5
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #4253 on: October 21, 2011, 06:56:07 AM »

"District 9" - weird and unique faux-documentary sci-fi about a controversial plan to move a colony of aliens from one South African city to another, and a doofus government bureaucrat who gets caught in the middle of the battle when he's exposed to an alien fluid that causes some, ahem, changes.

Interesting blend of political/personal drama and sci-fi action.

Small | Large

lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4254 on: October 21, 2011, 02:30:00 PM »

Bad Girl (1931) - This was sort of pre code light. It's better than average and worth seeing if you like old movies.

An ambitious guy meets an attractive girl and they have to have a shotgun wedding because they couldn't control themselves. The leads are decent and likeable enough but not a whole lot happens in the first part. Towards the end there is a little more tension but in general it's just they do this, then they do that, then they do something else. It could have used more visuals and/or other diversions from just them talking to each other.  At the same time, the girl is sweet but human and the guy has a kind of extreme modesty and dignity not seen very often in films or life. 3.75/5
Couchtr26

« Reply #4255 on: October 22, 2011, 12:58:35 AM »

I Spit On Your Grave (1978) - I felt odd watching this movie, not bad but like it was some sort of surreal dream.  Out of place and you knew it was out of place so lost some impact I think.  I guess it was good for what it was but I just can't help feeling detached from it.  It is sad.  After hearing so much (could have caused loss of impact), I just felt like it was a dream state that was out of place.  I think more then anything it speaks poorly of me or shows a certain loss of connection with people. 

Anyways, I think I'm rambling.  Wasn't really a fan for the most part, felt the ending was very tacked on to the film.  It made little sense.  There were also many times in the movie that it seems things should have fallen apart for all involved.  Too many nervous people and such leads to someone saying something at which point our villains should have been arrested.  Maybe some of these observations lead to that dream like state and detachment. 

Jonah Hex - Yes, this was bad.  Can I ask Netflix for a dollar or two refund?  Oh well, I have Tideland.  Maybe it will lift some of these feelings and I can feel good about watching something out there again.  Terry is usually good for that purpose.

Ah, the good old days.
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #4256 on: October 22, 2011, 08:38:52 AM »

Last night I had me a Schlock-Tober Slasher Flick Double Feature!

First outta the chute: "Blood Night: The Legend of Mary Hatchet"
http://www.youtube.com/v/b4jcoQ7G-Vg
Silly but fun 80s style slasher nonsense. An annual local "holiday" in honor of a deceased (?) ax murderess is the backdrop for a whole lotta splat. Mostly terrible acting, loads of hot girls, a large body count and some neat old school (i.e. no CGI) gore effects. I've seen better but I've also seen loads worse.
Random note: Daneille Harris, who played little Jamie Lloyd in "Halloween 4 and 5" is in this movie, and daaaaaaamn, she grew up hot.   Buggedout

And speaking of Halloween...last night's second feature was...

"Halloween: Resurrection"
http://www.youtube.com/v/Qwt_Qx4OQE4
Totally, completely, utterly unnecessary sequel that kills off Laurie Strode in the first ten minutes (!!) and then sics Michael Myers on a new group of generic slasher movie victim types a year later, while they're broadcasting an Internet reality show from the Myers house. Awful, awful crap. Worth a look only if you're a Halloween completist or you just want to hear Busta Rhymes say "Trick or treat, motherf***er" while he kung-fu fights Michael Myers. (?)

This series should've ENDED with the preceding "H20."

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #4257 on: October 22, 2011, 09:54:42 AM »

Oh well, I have Tideland.  Maybe it will lift some of these feelings and I can feel good about watching something out there again.  Terry is usually good for that purpose.

TIDELAND is not exactly a feel-good, pick me up movie.  By far the darkest thing Gilliam has ever done.  But I hope you like it!

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
alandhopewell
A NorthCoaster In Texas

Hey....white women were in season.

« Reply #4258 on: October 22, 2011, 12:21:24 PM »

This was on an eight-film compilation set that I got at Wal-Mart. I'd never seen it before, believing that dead teenager flicks were an insult to brain cells everywhere, but I might at least get a laugh or two out of it.

This was boring. Not just boring, but toxic in its boringness. I remember people telling me at the time, "Man, it's scary, you gotta see it!"

I'd rather watch CURSE OF THE SWAMP CREATURE again, TWICE, followed by SPY IN THE SKY.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 12:33:06 PM by alandhopewell » Logged

If it's true what they say, that GOD created us in His image, then why should we not love creating, and why should we not continue to do so, as carefully and ethically as we can, on whatever scale we're capable of?

The choice is simple; refuse to create, and refuse to grow, or build, with care and love.
major jay

« Reply #4259 on: October 22, 2011, 12:29:19 PM »

THE GAMMA PEOPLE

What a strange little movie. It's part sci-fi, part comedy, and part commentary on the Nazis.
You have a mad scientist, Hitler style youth, a Mardi gras carnival, zombie like henchmen, and a few good lookin' babes. I liked it.

Pages: 1 ... 282 283 [284] 285 286 ... 795
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent viewings « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.