Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 11, 2024, 04:44:04 PM
715085 Posts in 53118 Topics by 7754 Members
Latest Member: PrincessMu
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Doctor Sleep (2019) « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Doctor Sleep (2019)  (Read 6998 times)
Olivia Bauer
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: November 13, 2019, 05:51:35 PM »

Is the entire internet pranking me? Is there some sort of joke I'm not getting?
When I saw a trailer for this before Joker it looked like absolute dogs**t. I figured the internet would tear it to f**king shreds
for even trying to piggy-back off of Kubrik's The Shining and pretending to be a sequel. But the trailer got a massive amount of likes
and few dislikes. My favorite critic gave it a 3/10 and everyone in the comments was like "Hmm... I disagree." I know people have
different opinions but I am absolutely shocked by how many people thought this looked good and enjoyed it.

Is there anyone else here that thinks it looks like s**t?

Archivist

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2019, 07:05:02 PM »

Well, it's the film adaptation of Stephen King's novel, which in itself is the sequel to his novel The Shining. I haven't read Doctor Sleep, but Stephen King films have had a growing number of hits over the years (some have been real stinkers). I think the blending of the two movies is a good idea.

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2019, 09:02:45 PM »

I have read the book. It is a direct sequel to the Shining. In the book Danny is a a drunk, like his father. And bad s**t happens. The book was ok.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
claws
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2019, 01:36:12 AM »

I haven't read the book but the trailer was kind of underwhelming. It didn't get me excited and I didn't notice much excitement on social media either, even though I really like the director. He has made a couple of solid horror movies.

I will check this out when it is available for home video.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Poo Person
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2019, 02:05:21 AM »

I'm going to see it on Saturday and I'll let you guys know what I think.  Smile

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
chainsaw midget

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2019, 12:40:18 PM »

The trailer looked okay.  Not great but not terrible. 

As for it being a sequel, I kinda wonder how that's supposed to work.  I know it's based a book that was a sequel to the novel Shinning, but it seems to be using imagery from the movie, which was quite different (and in my opinion much better) than the book. 

If they're going to adapt this to be more of a sequel to the movie, that seems like it would end up being a major change.
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2019, 01:00:57 PM »

From what I've read the director tried to make it a sequel to both. The events of the movie are how a young, tramautised kid remembers it while the book is more the mothers memories or something.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2019, 01:16:48 PM »

From what I've read the director tried to make it a sequel to both. The events of the movie are how a young, tramautised kid remembers it while the book is more the mothers memories or something.

The mother is not in the book at all. And it has little to do with the Shining, except the main character is Danny Torrance.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2019, 01:25:56 AM »

The mother is not in the book at all. And it has little to do with the Shining, except the main character is Danny Torrance.

The book or the film?

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2019, 11:00:13 AM »

The book or the film?

The book. I haven't seen the movie...

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2019, 01:58:13 PM »

The book or the film?

The book. I haven't seen the movie...

I did try to find the review I read where they were talking about how the director had made it a sequel to both the book and movie but I can't seem to spot it in my history. If I can find it though I'll post the link up for you. I haven't watched the film myself.

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2019, 12:12:06 PM »

I've kept up with most of his books. I had 3 years without a paycheck...I went to the library a lot!

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
bob
I survived Bucky Larson

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2019, 03:22:50 PM »

I'm going to see this today. I'll let every one know what I think of it.  Smile

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
bob
I survived Bucky Larson

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2019, 08:30:46 PM »

So..... how do I make spoilers in text?

I guess what I'm asking is how do create the color of text where people would have to highlight it to see it?  Question

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2019, 08:52:48 PM »

So..... how do I make spoilers in text?

I guess what I'm asking is how do create the color of text where people would have to highlight it to see it?  Question

You can't, exactly. This is the best you can do. To do so select your text, hit the red "A" button, then select "green" from the dropdown menu that says "change color."

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Doctor Sleep (2019) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.