Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 02:53:32 PM
714700 Posts in 53102 Topics by 7748 Members
Latest Member: Lucinda02
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Turkey Day? « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Turkey Day?  (Read 1602 times)
Scottie
« on: November 27, 2002, 08:39:18 PM »

Since when was Thanksgiving, a day of giving thanks for being alive in America, reduced to the commercialized title of Turkey Day? I am completely against ever calling Thanksgiving "Turkey Day." I don't think people ever mean any disrespect when they say "Turkey Day," but it still bothers me to no end that a day that once saved our existence in North America is now known by the food that was eaten.

-Scottie*
Chadzilla
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2002, 08:52:37 PM »

Seriously, it was probably a PC move to get away from the overly 'Christian' religious theme of it being a day of Prayer and Thanksgiving so other groups (some of which do not pray) would not feel excluded from the Public Circle.  Felt good to explain the real reason of the holiday roots to my son.

Still, maybe we can do a Turkey Day movie - kind of a take off on Blood Freak - where PETA type Vegans get brain damaged, think they are giant turkeys, and begin killing everybody cooking turkey!  Of course their brain damage gives them super powers/indestructability, so they cannot be stopped UNTIL....

...it begins to rain and they all look up and eventually drown.

Smells like a winner!

Chadzilla
Gosh, remember when the Internet was supposed to be a wonderful magical place where intelligent, articulate people shared information? Neighborhood went to hell real fast... - Anarquistador
Scottie
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2002, 09:18:21 PM »

I'm not someone to go around preaching the importance of prayer and religion and blessedness before eating a meal. I personally don't agree with what the Catholic Church tells the world to do, nor the Jewish belief system, or any other organized religion, but that's beside the point. The point is that it's TRADITION. It doesn't matter if you believe in what the Pilgrims believed, what matters is that you respect what they went through, and be thankful for it. THANKFUL, not Turkey. Sorry. I'll let this message run its course.

-Scottie*
J.R.
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2002, 09:41:42 PM »

Thanksgiving is kind of a mixed bag for me. I'm part Indian, and also have ancestors who were on the Mayflower. So celebrating part of my ancestry having a meal with another part and then later killing them and stealing their land as a day of thanks is pretty off-putting, but turkey is delicious, so I eat it. I just don't think of the pilgrims as great people, especially after reading up on them and learning that almost everything we're told about them is untrue.

~I cried because I no shoes, until I met a man that had no feet. I killed him and made shoes out of his skin.~
JohnL
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2002, 11:32:41 AM »

So, are there are Thanksgiving themed horror movies?
Creepozoid
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2002, 01:03:47 AM »

How about BLOOD FREAK? :)
wheresthecarrot
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2002, 07:44:40 PM »

I just personally get bored with saying one word continuously all the time, so I mix it up with "turkey day" and "eat 'till ya puke day" depending on the compay im in....yeah, I'm still thankful and all, though Im not sure how much respect I have for the pilgrims, but as far as I'm concerned, traditions are meant to be challenged, sometimes broken.  Often, it's the spice of life.

"Anybody want a peanut?"
Dano
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2002, 10:23:04 PM »

Seriously, it was probably a PC move
*****  Oooh.  Careful Chadzilla.  Don't you know that "PC" is an imaginary term made up by talk radio personalities??

Dano
"Today's Sermon: Homer Rocks!"
Squishy
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2002, 01:25:54 AM »

Hee hee hee.

As I watch the confusing spectactle of right-wing windbags Henry Hyde, Bob Barr, and Dick Armey lining up to become "Card-Carrying Members of the ACLU"--scared to death of what Chimpy's handlers and their squads have in store for the American people--and seeing the only people "PC-whining" around here are ones whining about "PC," it's comforting to know our own version of Eric Cartman will never change...after all, change requires growth.

Remember, everyone: "People who find broad racial slurs offensive are just stupid whiners--but "redneck" is wrong wrong wrong and you can't say it 'cause it (sob) offends ME. Wuh-wuh-wuh-we lost the Civil Waaaahhhhhhaaaar!! (snifffff!)"

:D
raj
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2002, 05:29:04 PM »

Yeah, I sometimes call it Turkey day just because it is shorter than Thanksgiving.  Same as I'll write Xmas, not to cross out "Christ".

I can't think of any Thanksgiving themed horror movies.  Although, if you broaden it to include any movie with Pilgrims/Puritans in it, there is "A Scarlet Letter", starring Demi Moore.
wheresthecarrot
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2002, 02:07:00 AM »

And "The crucible" with winona....that dirty little thief....

"Anybody want a peanut?"
J.R.
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2002, 02:12:57 AM »

Squishy, what the HELL are you babbling about?

~I cried because I no shoes, until I met a man that had no feet. I killed him and made shoes out of his skin.~
Dano
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2002, 06:51:14 PM »

Squishy wrote:  Remember, everyone: "People who find broad racial slurs offensive are just stupid whiners--but "redneck" is wrong wrong wrong and you can't say it 'cause it (sob) offends ME. Wuh-wuh-wuh-we lost the Civil Waaaahhhhhhaaaar!! (snifffff!)"

*****  Remember too, everyone, that people who blast the very concept of broad racial slurs and insist that their use under any circumstances is wrong... but who then turn around and use broad racial slurs themselves are called "hypocrites."

*gasp!*

By the way, "Turkey Day" is nothing new, nor is it PC.  My mom, a devout Christian who is well aware of the historical background of the holiday, has been saying "Turkey Day" since I was a kid.  I think it's because she's psyched about getting to eat turkey or something.

Dano
"Today's Sermon: Homer Rocks!"
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Turkey Day? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.