Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 05:49:17 PM
715287 Posts in 53130 Topics by 7756 Members
Latest Member: Anthonynolla
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  What have you been listening to? « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 493 494 [495] 496 497 ... 966
Author Topic: What have you been listening to?  (Read 2691250 times)
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #7410 on: October 07, 2011, 05:04:45 PM »

"Heart Attack and Vine" by Tom Waits

"You know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk."

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Flick James
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #7411 on: October 07, 2011, 05:19:31 PM »

Good album. A precursor to his weird years. Plenty of stuff that resembles his 70's work, but also some little hints of things to come.

Are you still listening to the entire Tom Waits catalog in reverse order?

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #7412 on: October 07, 2011, 05:24:39 PM »

Also, according the wikipedia article about his album, it says it was his best-selling album until 1999's Mule Variations. I like both albums, but it's hard for me to imagine that either one of them out-sold his seminal 80's trilogy releases: Swordfishtrombones, Rain Dogs, and Frank's Wild Years. I wonder if that information is accurate.

Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #7413 on: October 08, 2011, 06:00:01 AM »

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7414 on: October 08, 2011, 08:48:29 AM »

Also, according the wikipedia article about his album, it says it was his best-selling album until 1999's Mule Variations. I like both albums, but it's hard for me to imagine that either one of them out-sold his seminal 80's trilogy releases: Swordfishtrombones, Rain Dogs, and Frank's Wild Years. I wonder if that information is accurate.

No, I abandoned the mini-project of listening to all the albums in reverse order.

Love HA&V, but as you point out it's definitely a transition album: sort of 1/2 the 70s style and 1/2 the eighties style. "Small Change" is the same way.

As far as the charts go, I guess it's not too surprising.  The Island releases are classics in retrospect but they were way too strange for the mainstream (still are).  I never even heard of Tom growing up or through high school, it wasn't until 1987 that I first heard him on an underground radio station. 

Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #7415 on: October 08, 2011, 10:33:56 AM »

No, I abandoned the mini-project of listening to all the albums in reverse order.

Love HA&V, but as you point out it's definitely a transition album: sort of 1/2 the 70s style and 1/2 the eighties style. "Small Change" is the same way.

As far as the charts go, I guess it's not too surprising.  The Island releases are classics in retrospect but they were way too strange for the mainstream (still are).  I never even heard of Tom growing up or through high school, it wasn't until 1987 that I first heard him on an underground radio station. 

I first heard him in 1986, the same year graduated HS and started getting into indy films. I saw Jim Jarmusch's Down By Law, my first experience actually going to an indy theatre in Hollywood, and the film contains two Waits songs (and Waits himself in a primary role) from Rain Dogs, "Jockey Full of Bourbon" in the opening sequence and "Tango 'Till They're Sore" in the closing credits. I think the combination of the first song accompanying a steady sequence of driving pan shots of old New Orleans in black and white instantly drew me to the music and I immediately started acquiring albums. Sadly, my ex-wife ended up with all my old LPs, which includes ALL the 80's stuff, plus Small Change, Closing Time, and Nighthawks at the Diner.

Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #7416 on: October 08, 2011, 10:53:55 AM »

Inspired by Rev and I's recent posts, I remembered I have a copy of this release on vinyl I found at a used record store, and I'm listening to it as we speak. What a great album.

The story behind it is interesting. The album was performed live in front of an audience, but not at a nightclub. Due to the logistical difficulties of getting a quality music recording at a nightclub, they decided to invite a crowd into the old Record Plant Studios in Los Angeles, set it up like a nightclub, and have Tom, accompanied by a 4-piece jazz band (although he replaces the hired pianist on some numbers), perform new material live. This way they could get a quality recording but still have a live performance. None of the material appears on any of his studio albums. The band he hired had to memorize the material over a few days of rehearsals because Tom Waits didn't provide sheet music.

What you get is a live performance of very loungy jazz, but legit jazz. Tom growls out the songs in his fashion, telling numerous stories and jokes throughout. I love the name of the fictitious nightclub he is performing that he mentions in the opening intro "welcome to Rafael's Silver Cloud Lounge." They did it so well that you can almost smell the smoke filled air and the bourbon-stained naugahide.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 11:00:20 AM by Flick James » Logged

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7417 on: October 08, 2011, 11:34:03 AM »

Inspired by Rev and I's recent posts, I remembered I have a copy of this release on vinyl I found at a used record store, and I'm listening to it as we speak. What a great album.

The story behind it is interesting. The album was performed live in front of an audience, but not at a nightclub. Due to the logistical difficulties of getting a quality music recording at a nightclub, they decided to invite a crowd into the old Record Plant Studios in Los Angeles, set it up like a nightclub, and have Tom, accompanied by a 4-piece jazz band (although he replaces the hired pianist on some numbers), perform new material live. This way they could get a quality recording but still have a live performance. None of the material appears on any of his studio albums. The band he hired had to memorize the material over a few days of rehearsals because Tom Waits didn't provide sheet music.

What you get is a live performance of very loungy jazz, but legit jazz. Tom growls out the songs in his fashion, telling numerous stories and jokes throughout. I love the name of the fictitious nightclub he is performing that he mentions in the opening intro "welcome to Rafael's Silver Cloud Lounge." They did it so well that you can almost smell the smoke filled air and the bourbon-stained naugahide.

I'd just like to emphasize that the stories he tells before each song are comic masterpieces.  He's talking about eating at greasy spoons and he tells the story about how his veal cutlet is so undercooked it gets up off the plate and tries to beat up his cup of coffee, but "the coffee just wasn't strong enough to defend itself."

There's also the whole prologue to "All My Friends Are Married" where he talks about calling himself up and taking himself out on a date. 

Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #7418 on: October 08, 2011, 11:59:00 AM »

My favourite Scorpions album. A hard rock masterpiece.

Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #7419 on: October 08, 2011, 05:44:43 PM »

I'd just like to emphasize that the stories he tells before each song are comic masterpieces.  He's talking about eating at greasy spoons and he tells the story about how his veal cutlet is so undercooked it gets up off the plate and tries to beat up his cup of coffee, but "the coffee just wasn't strong enough to defend itself."

There's also the whole prologue to "All My Friends Are Married" where he talks about calling himself up and taking himself out on a date.  

Another added note. Tom did two shows a night for two nights to make that album, and he hired a typical 70's stripper to perform as the opening act to get the crowd in the proper mood, while the jazz band he had assembled for his act played 60's/70's bump and grind music. Tom makes the joke in his opening intro "I'd like to thank Lewanda for opening the program this evening. I'm so g**damn horny the crack of dawn better be careful around me."
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 05:47:00 PM by Flick James » Logged

Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #7420 on: October 08, 2011, 05:45:33 PM »

My favourite Scorpions album. A hard rock masterpiece.

I used to have that on vinyl. Fine album. "The Zoo" is legendary.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7421 on: October 09, 2011, 08:05:17 AM »

Bartok: Concerto for Orchestra; Music for Strings, Percussion and Celesta; Hungarian Sketches

Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #7422 on: October 09, 2011, 08:19:58 AM »

The poor man's Giant. The heavier follow up to their rather pedestrian 1989 AOR debut.

HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #7423 on: October 13, 2011, 09:31:15 AM »

Back in Black by AC/DC

Flyleaf by Flyleaf

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7424 on: October 13, 2011, 12:23:14 PM »

"Our Beloved Revolutionary Sweetheart" by Camper Van Beethoven

Pages: 1 ... 493 494 [495] 496 497 ... 966
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  What have you been listening to? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.