Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 18, 2024, 02:35:47 AM
715289 Posts in 53130 Topics by 7756 Members
Latest Member: Anthonynolla
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent viewings « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 272 273 [274] 275 276 ... 795
Author Topic: Recent viewings  (Read 2123821 times)
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #4095 on: September 04, 2011, 08:37:57 AM »

BEREAVEMENT (2011) - I just watched this very dark and disturbing horror film earlier in the week.  Without giving away too much of the plot, the basic premise is about  a deranged serial killer who lives in an abandoned slaughter house and abducts and murders young women there, then puts them in a deep freeze in the basement.  He abducts a young boy who suffers from a rare disease that keeps him from feeling any physical pain, even from major injuries.  The psycho takes the boy's invulnerability to pain as a sign that he is some sort of superior being and makes the child his apprentice in murder.
  Five years later, a teenage girl whose parents have died in an accident comes to the country to live with her aunt and uncle.  Her daily jogging takes her past the old slaughterhouse . . . and weirdness ensues.
  I am not easily rattled by horror films, but the ending of this one was downright difficult to watch.  A dark and disturbing picture, but oddly compelling.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Vik
« Reply #4096 on: September 04, 2011, 10:32:23 AM »

The Thing From Another World
Good scifi, especially for its time, but John Carpenter's version is way better.

Brazil
Interesting film. I should give it a second viewing to make my mind up about it.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #4097 on: September 04, 2011, 11:37:17 AM »

SOLARIS (1972): An astronaut on a satellite circling a mysterious planet that may be alive meets, and falls in love with, a hallucinated version of his dead wife.  A unique mix of hard science fiction, arthouse drama and heavy existential symbolism; making it as "sci-fi" movie was writer/director Andrei Tarkovsky's way of getting around Soviet censors who wouldn't allow him to discuss the concept of God.  Warning to anyone who thought 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY was "too slow-moving"; Tarkovsky's pacing makes Kubrick look like Michael Bay.  4.5/5.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Vik
« Reply #4098 on: September 04, 2011, 12:07:40 PM »

SOLARIS (1972): An astronaut on a satellite circling a mysterious planet that may be alive meets, and falls in love with, a hallucinated version of his dead wife.  A unique mix of hard science fiction, arthouse drama and heavy existential symbolism; making it as "sci-fi" movie was writer/director Andrei Tarkovsky's way of getting around Soviet censors who wouldn't allow him to discuss the concept of God.  Warning to anyone who thought 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY was "too slow-moving"; Tarkovsky's pacing makes Kubrick look like Michael Bay.  4.5/5.
I've been wanting to see some of his films for ages now. Can't find a DVD anywhere, and if I do it's too expensive.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #4099 on: September 04, 2011, 12:10:00 PM »

I've been wanting to see some of his films for ages now. Can't find a DVD anywhere, and if I do it's too expensive.

Too bad you don't have Netflix where you are. 

I think STALKER is the best of Tarkovsky's movies, but SOLARIS may be the most accessible.  If you can get past the first forty-five minutes or so, the pace picks up once he actually gets on the spaceship.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #4100 on: September 04, 2011, 05:45:54 PM »

One Crazy Summer (1986): Hoops McCann (John Cusack) and his misfit friends (Joel Murray as George Calimari, Kristen Goelz as George's little sister Squid Calamari, Bobcat Goldthwait as Egg Stork, Tom Villard as Egg's twin brother Clay Stork and Curtis Armstrong as Ack Ack Raymond) on the island of Nantucket work together to help Hoops newest love interest Cassandra (Demi Moore) in her attempts to save her grandfather's house from falling into the hands of greedy, evil land developers the Beckerstead family.

This was very silly and often stupid but it was also quite funny. I was really surprised by how much I laughed at this one and all the ensuing stupid hijinks that ensues, some of it completely unbelievable yet if you left yourself go and go along with it, it's really quite funny. Best bits involve Bobcat getting trapped in a Godzilla costume and eventually going on a rampage as only Bobcat can do, the car jump, the jaws style mutant dolpin prop attack and the rocket launcher attacks. The Beckersteads also make for great cheesy on-screen villains. *** out of ***** stars.

The Aristocats (1970): A classy family of Parisian cats; Duchess (Eva Gabor) and her three kittens Berlioz (Dean Clark), Marie (Liz English) and Toulouse (Gary Dubin), set to inherit a fortune tries to make their way out of the country and back into their city home, with the unlikely help of a smart and savvy stray tom cat named Thomas O'Malley (Phil Harris), after the jealous butler Edgar, who secretly wants the fortune all to himself, tries to dispose of them there.

This was pretty good. A solid, entertaining Disney animated effort albeit perhaps not quite the classic many others are. Still it has some great moments of drama, romance and comedy. It never quite seems to succeed in the suspense department though although it attempts it on a few occasions, one just never gets the feeling our heroes are ever in serious danger even when we should feel that way. Especially funny here though are the two constantly bickering retired army dogs Napoleon and Lafayette who soon set their sights on Edgar and his motorcycle as their next target. Honestly they were what I enjoyed most about this film. *** out of ***** stars.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #4101 on: September 04, 2011, 05:49:22 PM »

Too bad you don't have Netflix where you are. 

I think STALKER is the best of Tarkovsky's movies, but SOLARIS may be the most accessible.  If you can get past the first forty-five minutes or so, the pace picks up once he actually gets on the spaceship.

SOLARIS is unquestionably one of the greatest science fiction films of all-time but yeah it is extremely slow-moving. Definitely more for hard SF fans and those who have a lot of patience and can bear slow-moving films.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #4102 on: September 04, 2011, 09:34:55 PM »

The wife and I tried to watch "Sucker Punch" tonight, but bailed out on it after about 45 minutes. It's an incomprehensible friggin' mess. Nice eye candy but if there's a narrative in there, I couldn't find it.

Avoid.

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
claws
« Reply #4103 on: September 05, 2011, 12:50:55 AM »

The Candy Snatchers (1973)

At times odd and off beat crime flick with some black humor and brief violence. Very Grindhouse and very entertaining. 4.5/5

Three... Extremes (2004)

Three tales of the macabre done very artsy, sick, slick and with style. The second story drags but the other two are just amazing. One of the last good Asian horror movies to come out during the J-Horror craze. 4.5/5
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4104 on: September 05, 2011, 12:53:39 AM »

The wife and I tried to watch "Sucker Punch" tonight, but bailed out on it after about 45 minutes. It's an incomprehensible friggin' mess. Nice eye candy but if there's a narrative in there, I couldn't find it.

Avoid.

Give it another chance.  I found it to be a masterpiece of surrealism, and it is still (as of September) my favorite movie of 2011.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #4105 on: September 05, 2011, 07:45:30 AM »

Avoid.

Give it another chance.  I found it to be a masterpiece of surrealism, and it is still (as of September) my favorite movie of 2011.

Well, I went back and watched the rest late last night and it didn't get any better. The action/fantasy scenes were cool, but the stuff in between... zzzzzz..

Zack Snyder has done the impossible -- he took a can't miss prospect (i.e. a zillion dollar action epic STARRING A CAST OF SCANTILY CLAD HOT WOMEN) and somehow managed to make it boring.

Ehh, well, it was RedBox, so I'm only out a buck. Sorry, man, I tried. It just wasn't my thang.

indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4106 on: September 05, 2011, 10:02:20 AM »

Different strokes for different folks, I suppose.  My wife hated it, for the record.
As long as you don't start dissin' on the LOTR trilogy, we'll get along just fine! TeddyR

FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #4107 on: September 05, 2011, 12:44:53 PM »

Different strokes for different folks, I suppose.  My wife hated it, for the record.
As long as you don't start dissin' on the LOTR trilogy, we'll get along just fine! TeddyR

Oh, my wife was HATIN' Sucker Punch. She was the main reason I turned it off at the halfway point (and went back to finish it after she went to sleep)... I couldn't take her running commentary anymore (i.e. "Did I miss something? What is this movie about? Does this movie make ANY sense? What the f*ck is going on?" etc,. etc.) I have a feeling she's going to be bringing that one up every time I complain about a movie she picks out for quite a while. (Me: "Another Twilight movie? Ewww." Wife: "Well, YOU brought home that damn Sucker Punch movie!"

As for the LOTR trilogy, I guess you could say I'm "ambivalent." I don't hate'em but I don't love'em either... I've seen the first two films and though I'll grant that they are beautifully made, they're just not "my" thing either. Is that OK?  TeddyR
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 12:52:10 PM by FatFreddysCat » Logged

bob
I survived Bucky Larson

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #4108 on: September 05, 2011, 02:50:42 PM »

4 out of stars 5

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #4109 on: September 05, 2011, 07:08:21 PM »

X-Men: First Class: It was available on the plane ride back from my vacation.  That was a great movie, despite one shoddy preformance.  Probably the second best comic movie we had this summer (I thought Captain America was better).

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
Pages: 1 ... 272 273 [274] 275 276 ... 795
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent viewings « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.