Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 06:28:06 PM
715372 Posts in 53136 Topics by 7759 Members
Latest Member: Daniel Kay
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  STUPIDEST criticism of a movie you ever heard! « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: STUPIDEST criticism of a movie you ever heard!  (Read 7310 times)
judge death
Bad Movie Lover

« on: August 08, 2010, 12:13:30 AM »

Ok it's been a while since "Avatar" was news, but I heard some criticism of it that I thought was the stupidest criticism ever made of a movie.

Some boring, intolerant, rabid fanatics wanted the movie to be rated r, or even x, to keep kids from seeing it because-OHMIGOD!-Sigourny Weaver played a good character who-SWEET MARY, JOSEPH  AND BABY JEEZUS!-smoked!

AAAIIIEEE!!!!! Cover the kids eyes and run them out of the theater, for humanities sake! We can't let kids see a good character smoking!!!!! Only evil, stupid, vile people can be seen to smoke in a modern movie!!!!!

Ok, admittedly I'm laying the sarcasm on a little heavy here, but then again I'm royally sick and tired of these rabid, fanatical, stark raving insanely intolerant anti-smokers who, in all honestly, kind of remind me a little of the nazis in that they seem to be hell bent on utterly annihilating a group of people they don't like.

Seriously, the anti smokers seem to be intent on not stopping until it's utterly impossible for anyone to smoke anywhere. When they endorse laws allowing employers to fire smokers and to test for tobacco like it was cocaine or something, they've gone beyond reasonable and  into absolute fanaticism, AFAIC.

I don't smoke, I think tobacco execs are some of the most evil people who ever existed and I wouldn't like to be in a small space with a cigarette going, but I don't favor this endless jihad against smokers or allowing employers to essentially control worker's lives 24/7. Don't give me the economics argument either, rights and liberty are more important.

So I think the attacks on avatar for having a good character smoking were the stupidest attack on a movie I've ever seen. Runners up include ann coulter attacking superman returns for making superman gay and people who attacked 300 for not being historically accurate.

What's the stupidest attack on a movie you ever saw?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 12:15:45 AM by judge death » Logged
Joe the Destroyer
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 01:50:25 AM »

One person went off on Final Fantasy 7 because there was no way in hell Sephiroth's or Cloud's swords would ever be physically possible. 

Never mind the presence of magic, giant monsters, aliens, giant cannons that shoot magic, undead creatures, full on genetic engineering, and all that. Those are minor details.  I mean, it's a Final Fantasy game.  A series where even boobs, hairstyles, and clothing aren't obligated to obey physics or logic.
judge death
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 01:58:32 AM »

One person went off on Final Fantasy 7 because there was no way in hell Sephiroth's or Cloud's swords would ever be physically possible. 

Never mind the presence of magic, giant monsters, aliens, giant cannons that shoot magic, undead creatures, full on genetic engineering, and all that. Those are minor details.  I mean, it's a Final Fantasy game.  A series where even boobs, hairstyles, and clothing aren't obligated to obey physics or logic.

Sounds like you've got a valid point about the criticism being stupid.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Poo Person
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 06:53:55 AM »

Not a movie but the British film critic Leslie Halliwell once described Sir Christopher Lee as "a limited actor". Halliwell also slammed the film The Gods Must Be Crazy as "racist: one for the Race Relations Board".  Question Question

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2010, 07:00:26 AM »

I once heard a teenager say about THE SOUND OF MUSIC: "That would have been a really good musical if it weren't for all the songs!"

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2010, 07:23:34 AM »

People who rent some cheesy '80s slasher, probably with scantily clad babes on the box cover, and then go on a rant about how they were expecting to see something like The Exorcist or The Omen. 

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2010, 09:36:57 AM »

I was reading some review the other day that said the movie was very short, only 90 minutes. 

like 95% of movies! 
zombie no.one
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Oookaay...

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2010, 09:41:46 AM »

search for any thread on this forum by WyreWizard  TeddyR

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2010, 09:50:47 AM »

I think I remember on the imdb someone complaining that The Thing had to many men in it!  Question
It needed a woman.
Apparently.

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2010, 02:54:08 PM »

Not a movie but the British film critic Leslie Halliwell once described Sir Christopher Lee as "a limited actor". Halliwell also slammed the film The Gods Must Be Crazy as "racist: one for the Race Relations Board".  Question Question

Halliwell had some crazy opinions.  He criticized PLAN 9 FROM OUTER SPACE for being "boring."  Of the dozens of legitimate complaints he could have made about the movie, he felt he had to attack it's one strength---the fact that "at least it's not boring!"

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
akiratubo

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2010, 04:26:46 PM »

I've heard a lot of people complain that foreign movies are bad because of the dubbing.  The fact that the dubbing has nothing to do with how the movie was made apparently means nothing to such people.  Of course, they won't even consider watching it in the original language with subtitles.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
The Gravekeeper
addicted to the macabre
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2010, 09:58:43 PM »

I seem to recall someone complaining about a film (possibly a play...I can't recall) having a bad influence on children because the villain smoked.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm generally not inclined to emulate the one person in the narrative who's the most likely to be unlikeable for one reason or another and is the most likely to have their plans foiled by other people.
Joe the Destroyer
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2010, 12:56:23 AM »

My ex-sister-in-law slammed Christmas Story for being "lude, toilet humor."  Really?  Toilet humor? 

Yet she listens to a country station where the DJ's constantly play farts on air and spend a full two minutes laughing about.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2010, 06:43:01 AM »

People who complain that the movie left out stuff that was in the book.  Well duh, the movie would have been 20 hours long otherwise.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
The Gravekeeper
addicted to the macabre
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2010, 12:07:35 PM »

People who complain that, in the case of video game movies, they could have just transferred the plot to a movie and not lost anything. Sorry, but things get lost any time you move a narrative from one media to another. Case in point: Silent Hill. Yes, the games have interesting plots and characters, but you find out about a lot of that plot through exploration and piecing together clues you get over 20+ hours of play. I'm sorry, but watching characters wander around for extended periods of time is tedious in "Let's Plays", let alone actual films.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  STUPIDEST criticism of a movie you ever heard! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.