Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 03:31:48 AM
715256 Posts in 53130 Topics by 7756 Members
Latest Member: Anthonynolla
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Faces of Death (Reimagining) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Faces of Death (Reimagining)  (Read 1779 times)
claws
« on: May 08, 2021, 02:10:26 PM »

Faces of Death, a faux documentary that became a grizzly cult hit in the VHS era, is getting a 21st century makeover.

Legendary Entertainment, currently basking in the box office glow of hit Godzilla vs. Kong, has picked up the rights to the title with the goal of launching a new horror franchise. Isa Mazzei and Daniel Goldhaber, the team behind the 2018 psychological thriller Cam, will write and direct, respectively.

The original movie, released in 1978 and meant to act like a documentary, had the conceit of a pathologist exploring gruesome ways to die via footage purportedly culled from around the world. In reality, most of the death scenes were staged and faked, but no matter, the movie had its producers’ desired effect: outrage, revulsion, banning (although not in 52 countries as hyped by the film’s makers), and, of course, a money-making hit that spawned sequels and imitators. It was written and directed by John Allan Schwartz, who used multiple pseudonyms for several crew jobs on the flick.

The new plot revolves around a female moderator of a YouTube-like website, whose job is to weed out offensive and violent content and who herself is recovering from a serious trauma, that stumbles across a group that is recreating the murders from the original film. But in the story primed for the digital age and age of online misinformation, the question faced is are the murders real or fake?

Producing will be Susan Montford and Don Murphy of Angry Films, who are behind Legendary’s fast-tracked multi-platform Buck Rogers reboot, are producing. Cory Kaplan will co-produce while Rick Benattar of BT Productions will exec produce. John Burrud, the producer of the original movies, will also work on the new iteration.

source: hollywoodreporter.com

Faces of Death was a gritty yet cheesy but still effective product of its time. I wonder how this will translate in the digital age.
jimpickens
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2021, 02:41:07 AM »

Looks like the people behind this have never watched the original series and have no concept as to what they were about.
JPickettIII
A BAD MOVIE IS A TERRIBLE THING TO WASTE!
Bad Movie Lover

HELP! WE ARE STUCK IN A GOOD MOVIE!!!

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2021, 06:50:10 PM »

I watched it, not bad but not the greatest.

Not sure why they need to reboot it.  Hollywood needs to get better ideas.

\\\\\\\"Freedom is not free\"\\\\\\ or ///\"Where ever you go, there you are!\"///
claws
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Occidentali's Karma

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2024, 12:23:11 AM »

Rated R for strong bloody violence and gore, sexual content, nudity, language and drug use.

No release date yet. Distributor listed as Legendary Entertainment.

Is it October yet?
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2024, 08:12:43 AM »

The original was a waste of film, IMHO, and I have no desire to see the new one either.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
claws

Occidentali's Karma

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2024, 08:30:30 AM »

It spawned like ten sequels and countless imitations, grossing over $35 million worldwide, according to wiki. That would be $173m in 2024. That is a crazy amount of money they made back then.

I wonder if the makers of the remake are eyeing a similar success.

Is it October yet?
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2024, 09:31:49 AM »

Now that everyone is going to know it isn't real deaths I can't imagine that it will have the same success. And if people don't know it isn't real, well the truth would hopefully get out there quite quickly.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
chainsaw midget

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2024, 10:34:57 AM »

This sounds like they're actually trying to make a movie out of this thing.  They even said it has a plot.

That hardly seems to be in the spirit of the original.
claws

Occidentali's Karma

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2024, 11:23:15 AM »

That hardly seems to be in the spirit of the original.

'Mondo' movies went extinct in the early 1990s. I assume the reimagining will be adjusted to today's viewing habits and morals, which have changed drastically over the last few decades.

Is it October yet?
M.10rda
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2024, 04:29:17 PM »

The original was a waste of film, IMHO, and I have no desire to see the new one either.

I'm w/ you. Furthermore, CAM was interesting (occasionally even unsettling) but deeply flawed and unsatisfying. I can't imagine the filmmakers of CAM are the visionary team equipped to transform the FACES OF DEATH i.p. into something worth watching.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Faces of Death (Reimagining) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.