Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 01:04:36 AM
714819 Posts in 53108 Topics by 7750 Members
Latest Member: Josette
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Recent viewings « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Recent viewings  (Read 1391 times)
trekgeezer
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

We're all just victims of circumstance

« on: June 08, 2005, 08:01:12 AM »

Crimson Force (2005) - SciFi channel cheapie with C. Thomas Howell and Tony Amendola (Master Bra'tac from Stargate SG-1)

Bad corporate types seek unlimited power supply on Mars (the science is kinda stupid), only they don't know that there is a secret civilization living underground. Seems they sent some of their criminals to Earth aways back and they bred with Neanderthals creating the homo-sapiens. There is a rift between to factions, one wants to make nice with the humans and the other wants to destroy us.

Anyway, C.Thomas Howell for some reason to me seemed to be channelling Jim Carrey as the evil corporate toady Captain of the mission. There is a cameo by Jeff Fahey as the Howell's boss.

28 Days Later (2002) Directed by Danny Boyle (Trainspotting) Stars Cillian Murphy, Brendan Gleeson, Christopher Eccleston (Dr. Who)

A group of animal rights nuts breaks into a lab to free the chimps being experimented on and unleashes a virus that turns people into raging homicidal maniacs in about 20 seconds.

A bicycle messenger named Jim (Cillian Murphy) wakes up in the hospital 28 days after getting hit by a car to find himself evidently all alone in London. He doesn't know what's happened until he runs into a group of the 'infected' and is rescued by a pair of unifected folks.

The virus is spread through contact with body fluid and the results are instant.

This movie does have it's share of scares, but the main crux of the story is what the uninfected people are willing to do to each other to survive. Not all the gory action is shown on screen, but that doesn't keep what you think is happening from bothering you.

A good movie with a lot of symbolism. I do wonder how they manage to get all the shots of empty streets and motorways.

The Thing From Another World (1951)  Directed by Christian Nyby (or Howard Hawks)   Starring Kenneth Toby, Dewey Martin, James Arness

I don't have to say much about this movie, it's a classic that started a whole sub-genre in SciFi and Horror. A small group of people in an isolated place menaced by a seemingly unstoppable creature.

Based on a story by John W. Campbell the famous writer and editor of Astounding magazine, the movie changes a great deal about the nature of the creature. Given the F/X capabilities of the time they would have had a hard time replicating the creature from the story. James Arness does a good turn as the Thing (what little we see of him).

There has always been a controversy over who actually directed the movie. James Arness says Nyby did, Tobey and Martin say Hawks did it all. Nyby himself, said jokingly that Hawks did allow him on the set a couple of times. Hawks is said to have let Nyby have the credit so he could get his directors guild card. Whoever directed it, it is studded with Hawks directorial touches.

Another theory is that Hawks didn't want to tarnish his career by letting it be known he directed a Science Fiction movie. Remember SciFi was looked upon as being for children at the time.

Whatever happened, the result is one of the great gems of the genre and when I saw it on TCM's schedule I had to watch.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
SaintMort
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2005, 08:40:28 AM »

I always forget what was the last film I watched on netflix when I do these so if I repeat a few from the old one... sorry.

The Rutles - 4 stars
Very Bad Things - 3 stars
Saturday the 14th Strikes Back - 2 stars
Waiting for GUffman - 3 Stars
Day of the Dead - 3 stars
Hills have eyes - 3 stars
Heavenly Creatures - 4 stars
Splatter University - 2 stars
Kids - 2 stars
Dawn of the Dead (2004) - 3 stars
Orgazmo - 4 stars
Slacker - 3 stars
The Fly - 3 stars
The Fly 2 - 2 stars

If anyone wants a summary of one of them just tell me which otherwise that's alot of films to be writing a review/summary on lol
Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2005, 10:00:43 AM »

Trek Geezer I think I saw about 5 minutes of it on Sci-Fi very late last night. It caught my attention and will look for the replay for CRIMSON FORCE (2005). It sounds a little like STRANDED: Náufragos (2002) which was a product of Spain. Its also good, the difference is that they are stranded like in RED PLANET (2000)and running out of oxygen, but when they find the ancient civilization it's different than CRIMSON FORCE (2005).

Saintmort I have ORGASMO on my Netflix list. Not sure when I'll be seeing it. I hear the DVD is good with extras.

Fearless Freep

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2005, 01:26:59 PM »

Why do I think that "Crimson Force" sounds very similar to the plot from Mars with Olivier Gruner?

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
SaintMort
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2005, 05:12:34 PM »

Check out Andrew's Review on it, he also felt it was high quality, it's not my favorite Parker/Stone film (that'll always be Cannibal) but if you like their films, you'll love Orgazmo.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Recent viewings « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.