Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 09, 2024, 09:50:31 AM
714985 Posts in 53116 Topics by 7753 Members
Latest Member: john
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent viewings « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 304 305 [306] 307 308 ... 795
Author Topic: Recent viewings  (Read 2120533 times)
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #4575 on: February 01, 2012, 03:57:29 PM »

I haven't even seen the film yet, but I'm certain it will take best picture.  If it's as good a film as I keep hearing, plus a socially relevant message, it's a dead lock.

Wanna bet?  Wink

Sure. What's your pick? I'll bet 10 karma on it The Help for Best Picture.

Can I have the field?  If not, I'll take THE ARTIST.  But one karma is sufficient stakes.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4576 on: February 01, 2012, 04:54:47 PM »

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (2009) - It's like they made the stupidest movie they could, then called in a team of experts to go through it frame-by-frame and insert additional stupidity into each and every one of them, then soaked the whole mess in a pool of liquid stupidity for 72 hours. If I could have made it through more than 20 minutes of this I'm sure it would be down in the 0.5/5 range.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Flick James
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #4577 on: February 01, 2012, 05:02:40 PM »

I haven't even seen the film yet, but I'm certain it will take best picture.  If it's as good a film as I keep hearing, plus a socially relevant message, it's a dead lock.

Wanna bet?  Wink

Can I have the field?  If not, I'll take THE ARTIST.  But one karma is sufficient stakes.

Well, if you take the field then you have to give me odds, like 4 to 1 or something. Otherwise, The Artist vs. The Help would be fine for 1 karma, and if neither wins, then all bets are off. Actually, now that I think of it you probably have a slight edge with The Artist, but don't underestimate the Oscar power of movies with a minority struggle message. They pack a wallop. Both films have been raking in so far in the award season.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4578 on: February 01, 2012, 05:57:37 PM »

Wanna bet?  Wink

Well, if you take the field then you have to give me odds, like 4 to 1 or something. Otherwise, The Artist vs. The Help would be fine for 1 karma, and if neither wins, then all bets are off. Actually, now that I think of it you probably have a slight edge with The Artist, but don't underestimate the Oscar power of movies with a minority struggle message. They pack a wallop. Both films have been raking in so far in the award season.

I accept your bet, ARTIST vs. HELP or a push.  Smile

lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4579 on: February 01, 2012, 09:10:49 PM »

Margin Call- really like this one. It's based on the 08 crash and does a great job of conveying the two elements that will probably stay with us on that: the complexity of the trading schemes and the moral repugnence of the banks. A young super intelligent trader stumbles on some charts that "change eveything". namely the AAA rated securities the bank holds may drop in value below a certain point at which the levered to the hilt bank will lose a ton of money. more than a ton. and it will have repurcussions way beyond just them. It's sort of like a disaster movie. The charts and stuff are like radioactive time bombs.

Demi Moore is okay and looks pretty good. It's an understated performance. Simon Baker is great. Kevin Spacey  and jeremy irons are not initially what you would imagine big wall street guys are like but they pretty much pull it off. takes place over a single night, I watched it late and felt like I was there. 5/5
bob
I survived Bucky Larson

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #4580 on: February 01, 2012, 09:33:08 PM »

lately I've been giving ratings what I've been watching in the track what you watch in 2012 thread but I want to elabrote on this as it's the first thing I've watched in a while that I've been really excited about watching since I first discovered that there was a follow up to 2001 a few weeks ago

2010 is awesome, is on the same level as 2001 no --- very few movies are

Hal, Dave and the monlith concept all return from 2001 in 2010

the shots of space are excellent

2010 also sheds some light on what happened in 2001

SFX are great

2010 is paced much differently from Kubrick's

this contains much more dialogue then 2001

I'm guessing this would look excellent on bluray

15/5
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 12:55:49 AM by bob » Logged

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4581 on: February 02, 2012, 04:31:40 PM »

Margin Call- really like this one. It's based on the 08 crash and does a great job of conveying the two elements that will probably stay with us on that: the complexity of the trading schemes and the moral repugnence of the banks. A young super intelligent trader stumbles on some charts that "change eveything". namely the AAA rated securities the bank holds may drop in value below a certain point at which the levered to the hilt bank will lose a ton of money. more than a ton. and it will have repurcussions way beyond just them. It's sort of like a disaster movie. The charts and stuff are like radioactive time bombs.

Demi Moore is okay and looks pretty good. It's an understated performance. Simon Baker is great. Kevin Spacey  and jeremy irons are not initially what you would imagine big wall street guys are like but they pretty much pull it off. takes place over a single night, I watched it late and felt like I was there. 5/5

This was my vote for "Best Original Screenplay" for the Online Film Critics Society, but it didn't even make the final five nominees.  Glad to see it was nominated for an Oscar, but I don't think it will win there either. 

Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4582 on: February 03, 2012, 07:51:50 AM »

Appleseed (2004) - In a post-apocalyptic world, a Utopian society has been set up where half the population is human, and the other half are androids (pretty much indistinguishable from humans). The androids are fairly cheerful, and the thinking is that this will keep the humans from wiping out the planet yet again. Of course there are various pro-human and pro-android factions, and if I said any more than that I'd be spoiling it. In the middle of this malaise we've got our hero, Deunan Knute, a female soldier with lots of combat experience, trying to navigate her way through the various plot twists and do what's ultimately right. A really good anime movie, with likable characters and a fairly interesting plot. Plenty of action as well. The ending was actually quite dramatic and emotional.  4.25/5.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #4583 on: February 03, 2012, 10:03:40 PM »

House on Haunted Hill (1999)

High tech remake of the '50s William Castle oldie is pretty fun stuff in its own right. Geoffrey Rush, Famke Janssen and Chris Kattan chew the scenery for all they're worth, and there's some cool set pieces and gory bits.

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #4584 on: February 03, 2012, 11:36:43 PM »

Real Steel (2011):

A former boxer (Hugh Jackman) and now robot fighter has to watch over his son for a couple of months while his aunt is out of the country.  While watching his son, they discover this old robot which they fix up and pit it a series of robot fights that led them to face the world champsionship.  Meanwhile, the father and son bound after being apart for 10 years.

Okay, this thing is cliched to hell with different parts from underdog and father & son bonding films.  It is also a film that takes itself seriously, but the subject matter and the overacting from side, minor, or one-shot characters really clash with that aspect of the film.  First time I ever laughed unintentionally at a film.  Also, the product placement was getting really distracting, especially during the final fight when it was suppose to be so intense and very serious, sort of distracted me.  Also, there is a plot hole that is never resolved and plot threads that are left dangling all over the place.  I think the movie needed 10 more minutes to wrap up everything.

Positively, the acting was good when it wasn't hammy.  I liked the kid and the girl in the movie and after awhile, I sort of like Hugh's character.  The CGI wasn't too bad, but nothing really special either.  Served it's purpose well.  The fighting is pretty solid and quite intense in some parts, where I almost feel the blows myself.  The computer animators must of watched a few boxing fights to see how the people moved and fight in it to get action in this pretty solid.  Even though the story was built upon cliches, I still a bit touched by the father and son bonding in here and I did like the conclusion at the end.

For a Rockem Sockem Robots movie, this was better than what I thought it would be.  It's not great, but at least it was fun for a one time watch.  Defenitely something for the little kids to watch and probably enjoy more than me.  I say Real Steel is a 2.5 out of 5.

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4585 on: February 04, 2012, 10:25:45 AM »

MST3K Zombie Nightmare- A mike episode with no Pearl is a real jackpot, too bad this wasn't a "better" movie. the first hour is really dull, in the last part there were some okay campy zombies but all in all a typical good episode with another Dondi refernce! 4/5
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #4586 on: February 05, 2012, 07:02:06 PM »

My girlfriend's pick last night so...

Must Love Dogs (2005): Romantic comedy focused on the struggle of the recently divorced, here primary characters Sarah Nolan (Diane Lane) and Jake Anderson (John Cusack), to get back in the dating world and search for love including the world of personal ads.

This was alright. It featured a likable cast (Christopher Plummer and Stockard Channing both get some good moments here) and Cusack and Lane seemed to have good chemistry together. I liked some of the comedy at play here and while the romance felt a little cliche at times, I enjoyed it. The biggest problem here was swallowing one's disbelief especially when Lane starts actively pursuing Cusack.  *** out of ***** stars.

Pocahontas (1995): Disney style fantasy myth take on the real-life Pocahontas legend has the daughter of an Indian Chief meeting and falling in love with Englishman Captain John Smith and then the pair trying to prevent a war between the Indians and the White Man.

There's a nice anti-hate, pro-acceptance/pro-peace, anti-war message at work here. Of course there's also a level of Disney comedy cuteness and fantasy with animals and trees being important supporting characters in the plot. Lots of songs here and lots of long, drawn ourt dramatic gazes especially between Pocahontas and Smith. This all seems far away from reality but is entertaining escapist fare. How much one likes this probably depends on one's tolerance for a movie with lots of songs and a threadbare plot that holds it all together. It's beautiful to look at but aside from the message it's promoting, this seems to lack a certain depth. *** out of ***** stars.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4587 on: February 06, 2012, 10:23:12 AM »

BELLE DE JOUR (1967):  Catherine Deneuve stars as a young housewife with masochistic fantasies who feels compelled to work as a prostitute during days while her husband is at work.  An ambiguous, dreamlike ending caps this subtle, psychologically complex drama.  4.5/5.

FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #4588 on: February 06, 2012, 01:57:37 PM »

"Thor" (2011)

Marvel Comics' Thunder God gets banished to Earth by his father, Odin (Sir Anthony Hopkins) to learn some humility, which gives Thor's evil half brother Loki an opportunity to take control of Asgard in his absence. Fun stuff, great special effects.

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4589 on: February 06, 2012, 04:41:29 PM »

Leprechaun 4: Leprechuan in Space  -  The comedy was not exactly Larry David level stuff, more like Gary David ( ??)  but I have to admit I liked this. Ive never seen any of the other segments. Some people are in space and they face the leprechaun in Buck Rogers type scenerios. The female lead was sci fi channel type and the other female lead was kind of like the blonde chick on Xena type. I liked her alot more. The sets are boring and the dialogue is beyond cliched but I enjoyed it. 4/5
Pages: 1 ... 304 305 [306] 307 308 ... 795
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent viewings « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.