Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 05:10:06 PM
715285 Posts in 53130 Topics by 7756 Members
Latest Member: Anthonynolla
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Weird News Stories  |  George R.R. Martin Among 17 Authors Suing OpenAI for Copyright Infringement « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: George R.R. Martin Among 17 Authors Suing OpenAI for Copyright Infringement  (Read 3605 times)
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« on: September 21, 2023, 01:58:55 AM »

Seventeen authors, including George R. R. Martin, and the Authors Guild are suing OpenAI for copyright infringement. The fantasy novelist behind the Game of Thrones series and FromSoftware's Elden Ring joins the likes of John Grisham, Guild President Scott Turow, and Jodi Picoult in filing the complaint.

The initial complaint, which the group of authors filed in New York's Southern District, claims that OpenAI copied the authors' work by using it to train its AI tools like ChatGPT without permission. This group of lauded fiction writers isn't the first to sue OpenAI and other AI-focused businesses.

The statement does not mince words, claiming large language models (known as LLMs) can, " spit out derivative works: material that is based on, mimics, summarizes, or paraphrases Plaintiffs’ works, and harms the market for them." It goes on to state that AI companies wouldn't have functional models without these authors' work, and LLMs effectively turn authors' own work against them, becoming, "engines of their own destruction."

AI tools like Chat GPT and Dall-E have been lightning rods for controversy and legal issues since they first rose to prominence. But, because these sorts of tools are still relatively new, there's very little legal precedent for courts to work with. However, a judge's ruling on a copyright-based AI lawsuit from last month may point to the future of this and other, similar filings.

On August 14, District Judge Beryl Howell upheld a U.S. Copyright Office finding that AI art could not be copyrighted. This finding dates back to 2018, when the Copyright Office claimed that, "the nexus between the human mind and creative expression" is critical to the grounds of copyright protection. While this ruling deals in different specifics regarding AI and copyright law, New York's Southern District has already been known to take action against AI in previous, non-copyright-related instances, indicating a potentially bright future for Martin & co.

Other parties involved in adjacent, creative-driven industries such as screenwriters, actors, voice actors, comedians, musical artists, and journalists have also criticized AI-driven tools based on similar criteria. In fact, AI is a driving factor in the ongoing Writers' Guild and Actors' Guild strikes in Hollywood. It's also at the center of a handful of similar lawsuits issued by the likes of Sarah Silverman. Others, like Ice Cube and Tom Brady, have publicly threatened suits as well.

You can find a PDF of the 47-page statement, as issued by 17 writers and the Authors Guild, here.

Update 3:27pm PT: OpenAI has responded to IGN's request for comment on this story with the following statement:

Creative professionals around the world use ChatGPT as a part of their creative process. We respect the rights of writers and authors, and believe they should benefit from AI technology. We’re having productive conversations with many creators around the world, including the Authors Guild, and have been working cooperatively to understand and discuss their concerns about AI. We’re optimistic we will continue to find mutually beneficial ways to work together to help people utilize new technology in a rich content ecosystem.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2023, 10:28:45 AM »

On a similar note:

Stephen Fry has revealed that his agents were extremely upset when they discovered the striking resemblance between his own voice and an AI-generated recording that fooled listeners into thinking they were listening to an authentic audio of him reading the Harry Potter book series.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2023, 12:31:12 AM »

Welcome to the machine.....

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
Gabriel Knight
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2023, 03:05:45 PM »

As soon he saw the OpenAI talking about rape and torture, he knew he was being copied.

Check my crappy and unpopular reviews and ratings:

https://www.imdb.com/user/ur85652268/?ref_=nv_usr_prof_2
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2023, 04:45:26 PM »

As soon he saw the OpenAI talking about rape and torture, he knew he was being copied.

BounceGiggle

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Poo Person
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2023, 05:19:58 AM »

One of my former lecturers told me I should take my whole ms and stick it in an AI to re-write it.

This was my answer in full:

F U      F U      F U      F U

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Weird News Stories  |  George R.R. Martin Among 17 Authors Suing OpenAI for Copyright Infringement « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.