Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 11, 2024, 03:46:06 PM
715084 Posts in 53118 Topics by 7754 Members
Latest Member: PrincessMu
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Star Wars Plot Inconsistencies « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10
Author Topic: Star Wars Plot Inconsistencies  (Read 108823 times)
bob
I survived Bucky Larson
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #105 on: April 22, 2012, 10:07:33 AM »

not really a flaw, but more of an observation

with all the adjustments Lucas has made with the Star Wars franchise frankly I'm a little surprised he didn't insert the ghost of Qui-Gon Jinn inserted at the end of Return of the Jedi...

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
66Crush
« Reply #106 on: April 26, 2012, 03:05:53 AM »

Not a plot point here, but some flawed science. In The Empire Strikes Back, Han and Leia go outside with the ship with gas mask on to track the little creature (mynock or something). They don't yet know they have been swallowed by a giant creature. So, if they really thought they were on an asteroid, wouldn't they be wearing full spacesuits to compensate for the lack of gravity?
Pacman000
« Reply #107 on: April 30, 2012, 12:18:07 PM »

Not a plot point here, but some flawed science. In The Empire Strikes Back, Han and Leia go outside with the ship with gas mask on to track the little creature (mynock or something). They don't yet know they have been swallowed by a giant creature. So, if they really thought they were on an asteroid, wouldn't they be wearing full spacesuits to compensate for the lack of gravity?

In real life, yes.  In fiction they can wear whatever the writer/director/producer thinks is appropriate.  As long as it doesn't break the audience's suspension of disbelief it's ok.
66Crush
« Reply #108 on: May 01, 2012, 11:30:42 PM »

In real life, yes.  In fiction they can wear whatever the writer/director/producer thinks is appropriate.  As long as it doesn't break the audience's suspension of disbelief it's ok.

I agree. That's the main reason I brought it up, because I don't like too much real science in my science fiction. I think that is a problem with almost all of today's science fiction. I also hate all the realistic military stuff that began with "Aliens." I loved the cheesy uniforms and cheap ray guns of the original "Battlestar Galactica." That's part of why I hate the newer one. It looks more like the Colonial Warriors are going to invade Iraq instead of attacking the Cylons.
Archivist

« Reply #109 on: May 02, 2012, 01:23:07 AM »

I made the enormous mistake of buying the 2004 release of the original trilogy that was enhanced to tie in with the prequels. What can I say? I didn't realize what I was buying at the time. The only one I can stomach is Empire because it is the least altered. Return of the Jedi is hideous. The complete reconfiguring of the band scene at Jabba's Palace is atrocious, and sticking Hayden Christensen (sic?) in at the end to show Anakin's spirit was unforgiveable.

I saw that there is a special edition of the original trilogy that contains both the 2004 abortion and the originals, completely unaltered. I must pick that up because I can't take the altered versions except for Empire.

OMG.  I watched The Return of the Jedi just a few weeks ago and I had no idea that they had inserted Hayden Christensen!  It has been well over a decade, maybe more, since I had seen the movie, and I thought it a remarkable coincidence to get an actor (Hayden) who looked like the actor they used at the end of Return!  You're saying that it was someone ELSE in the original version?  I feel seriously duped now.  George Lucas, eat my mucus.  I will have to hunt down the original versions now.

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #110 on: May 02, 2012, 04:02:24 AM »

OMG.  I watched The Return of the Jedi just a few weeks ago and I had no idea that they had inserted Hayden Christensen!  It has been well over a decade, maybe more, since I had seen the movie, and I thought it a remarkable coincidence to get an actor (Hayden) who looked like the actor they used at the end of Return!  You're saying that it was someone ELSE in the original version?  I feel seriously duped now.  George Lucas, eat my mucus.  I will have to hunt down the original versions now.

Here's the original guy.
66Crush
« Reply #111 on: May 03, 2012, 11:01:44 PM »

If it's the first time a person has seen "Return of The Jedi" and they haven't seen Episode II or III, they probably won't know what the hell is going on when they see Hayden's ghost at the end.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #112 on: May 03, 2012, 11:18:45 PM »

If it's the first time a person has seen "Return of The Jedi" and they haven't seen Episode II or III, they probably won't know what the hell is going on when they see Hayden's ghost at the end.

You can solve that problem by watching them in Machete Order! http://static.nomachetejuggling.com/machete_order.html

This is actually a pretty good idea, if you take the point of view that the prequels exist, for better or worse, and the best you can do is fit them in where they won't detract too much from the originals. And if you leave out Episode I, you really don't lose anything important, but you do tighten up the story and get rid of most of the Jar-Jar, midichlorians, little Annie, pod racing and whatnot.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
66Crush
« Reply #113 on: May 03, 2012, 11:35:33 PM »

It would be OK with me there was a way to digitally replace Hayden Christiansen with a better actor.
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #114 on: May 03, 2012, 11:38:03 PM »

You can solve that problem by watching them in Machete Order! http://static.nomachetejuggling.com/machete_order.html

This is actually a pretty good idea, if you take the point of view that the prequels exist, for better or worse, and the best you can do is fit them in where they won't detract too much from the originals. And if you leave out Episode I, you really don't lose anything important, but you do tighten up the story and get rid of most of the Jar-Jar, midichlorians, little Annie, pod racing and whatnot.

But... but if you skip episode 1, you miss out on all the awesomeness that was Darth Maul!  Remember that scene where he ...umm... or where... hmm... pretty sure he did something at some point. 
bob
I survived Bucky Larson

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #115 on: May 04, 2012, 01:39:07 AM »

as individual movies I love all of them except Episode 2........but when you're trying to peice them together, especially with the many changes Lucas has made, as as series of events with the happenings iwthin them directling resutling it just gives me headaches pointing out all plot holes/inconsistencies

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
WyreWizard
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #116 on: May 16, 2012, 06:36:12 PM »

Yes this question is about one of Star wars most beloved characters, Chewbacca.

I have read many articles that say Chewbacca is a 200-year-old wookie from the planet Kashyyk.  What these articles don't clarify is where Chewbacca is 200 in Kashyyk years or Earth years.

I highly doubt Chewbacca is 200 in Earth year so it must be in Kashyyk years.

Kashyyk has to be an Earth-like planet that orbits a small red star.  And because its star is so small, then the golden radius for life is closer to it.  And with that, Kashyyk orbits much closer to its star, 2 to 3 times close than Earth is to its parent star Sol.

So with that, Kashyyk takes around 3 months to make a full orbit around its parent star.

So if that was the case, in Earth years Chewbacca is really around 70 years old.

This is not a conclusion, just an analysis.

Babe, I'm leaving.  I must be on my way.  The time is drawing near.  The train is going.  I see it in your eyes.  The love beneath your tears.  And I'll be lonely without you.  And I'll need your love to see me through.  So please me.  My heart is your hands.  And I'll be missing you...
Jim H

« Reply #117 on: May 18, 2012, 11:53:39 PM »

Chewbacca really is supposed to be 200ish by Earth standards. 

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Chewbacca

He lived from 200 BBY (BY = Battle of Yavin) to 25 ABY (225 years, in other words).  Each year in there is 368 days with each day 24 "standard hours".  So almost identical to standard human calendars, coincedentally enough.

Humans just get the short end of the stick as far as life expectancy goes, apparently.  Though it might be noted humans with force powers can live Yoda-type lifespans too, so hey.
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #118 on: May 19, 2012, 07:41:52 AM »

This was probably already pointed out somewhere in this thread but R2 knew everything in ANH and doesn't bother to inform anyone.   That kinda makes him lose street cred in my eyes.

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #119 on: May 19, 2012, 09:23:04 AM »

This was probably already pointed out somewhere in this thread but R2 knew everything in ANH and doesn't bother to inform anyone.   That kinda makes him lose street cred in my eyes.

To me, it kind of puts him more on the level of Ben or Yoda, part of the trusted inner circle. He knows what's going on, he's in on all the secrets, and he's much more of an instigator of events than a sidekick. It's pretty consistent with his behaviour when we first meet him. He knows the situation, he knows where to go and who to see. And if he's privy to inside information that only a handful of people share, he has a better grasp of the situation than the princess does, even though she's sending him on the mission. Makes him into a bit of a mastermind, in my view.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Star Wars Plot Inconsistencies « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.