Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 01:34:36 AM
715451 Posts in 53138 Topics by 7762 Members
Latest Member: HoustonJac
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The All New Adventures of Laurel & Hardy in 'For Love or Mummy' (1999) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The All New Adventures of Laurel & Hardy in 'For Love or Mummy' (1999)  (Read 2507 times)
Raffine
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: March 21, 2007, 12:57:39 PM »

Just curious: has anyone else ever seen this winner?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0143096/

It stars Bronson Pinchon as "Stan Laurel" and Hee-Haw alumni Gailard Sartain as "Olliver Hardy".
They dress and act just like the famous duo did in the 30's, except it takes place in modern California.
F. Murray Abraham is in it, too.

It turns up sometimes on "Premium" ( BounceGiggle!) movie channels.

The first time I stumbled on this at 2 in the morning I thought I had overdosed on Nyquil.

Some people at imdb seem mad it gets such lousy reviews.

This would make a good double feature with that Little Rascals movie they made a few years ago.
Best part of that one is when Reba McIntyre asks Alfalfa  "Is that a cowlick or are you just glad to see me?"  Buggedout

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
Doc Daneeka
The Game is Finished?

It's neVer over!

« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2007, 01:37:06 PM »

...For Love or Mummy?...

*Looks at poster*

Ohhhhhhhhhh, I get it!

https://www.youtube.com/user/silverspherechannel
For the latest on the fifth installment in Don Coscarelli's Phantasm saga.
Raffine

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2007, 01:51:34 PM »

Maybe it was supposed to be a remake/homage of Abbott & Costello Meet the Mummy but they couldn't get Gailard to look enough like Lou Costello.

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2007, 05:10:20 PM »

I can't find words to say.
Uh...mebbe I can...lesse...
Stupid? Lame? Bad? Useless? Useless seems to fit....ok...
A stupid,lame bad,and ultimatly USELESS idea!What market are they aiming for? Older fans who will find it offense ?The worst part about it is they way they dress is of the 1930's,and to set them in modern times is way to bizzare!What team of idiots came up with this concept,and WHY? They only thing I  can see resulting of it,is that people who watch it,may be turned off by it,and when the real McCoy shows up on TV,they'll turn it off,and pre judge it as "lame" because they might identify the crappy rehash with the original films. BAD IDEA!!!  Thumbdown

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Doc Daneeka
The Game is Finished?

It's neVer over!

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2007, 06:23:56 PM »

Maybe there was someone who preferred the old style of humor and wanted something different from all the gross-out teen comedies on the market.

https://www.youtube.com/user/silverspherechannel
For the latest on the fifth installment in Don Coscarelli's Phantasm saga.
Raffine

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2007, 11:42:35 PM »

Maybe there was someone who preferred the old style of humor and wanted something different from all the gross-out teen comedies on the market.

Well, the road to hell is paved with good intentions.  Smile

If the intention was to make a good, old-fashioned comedy for the kiddies and win a new generation of fans for Laurel & Hardy they fell a bit short. There's some really embarrassing PG attempts to hip things up (people thinking L&H are a gay couple, mild drug references, etc.), the comedy is terrible, and most of the time is spent on a really confusing plot. Nobody seems to notice Laurel & Hardy, who are supposed to be the original duo's nephews (?!?), are dressed in 30's fashions.

I can't quite put my finger on it but there's something just really wrong about trying to recreate an actor's screen personality, as opposed to a just different actor recreating a role in a remake.

I mentioned The Little Rascals movie before: The more I think about it the more I'm convinced the single most depraved moment in film history is a 60-ish year old woman woman asking an eight year old boy if she's getting him sexually aroused!

peter johnson

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2007, 12:30:06 AM »

I do remember this -- though I never did see it --
What I wonder about most is whatever became of Bronson Hilliard -- There was a time when he could do no wrong & was courted by every studion from here to Moscow --
Another one for the "Fame is Fleeting" files . . .
peter johnson/denny moviestar

I have no idea what this means.
Kooshmeister
The King of Koosh!
Bad Movie Lover

Must have caffeine...

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2007, 04:47:16 AM »

Nobody seems to notice Laurel & Hardy, who are supposed to be the original duo's nephews (?!?), are dressed in 30's fashions.

Well looking at the picture above, apart from their bowlers I can't see too much in their wardrobe that would be out of place today. I mean, guys still wear suits and ties do they not? Bowties aren't as common but you still see them outside of parties and the Academy Awards occasionally.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Poo Person
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2007, 05:48:32 AM »

I have seen it ~ believe it or not, it was actually made in South Africa, but was never released onto the cinema circuit, instead it went straight to VHS.

Not too bad as these things go.  Drink

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
the ghoul
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2007, 10:36:48 AM »

I have seen it.  Well actually only about 1/2 hour of it.  I couldn't stand the torture of watching it.  I love Laurel and Hardy, but this was just not funny at all, and excruciatingly boring.  It's very bad but not in a good way.  What an abomination!  It's too bad that this will never become a lost film.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The All New Adventures of Laurel & Hardy in 'For Love or Mummy' (1999) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.