Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 09, 2024, 10:52:54 PM
716084 Posts in 53164 Topics by 7773 Members
Latest Member: AlfieQul62
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Terrible Theater Experiences « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Terrible Theater Experiences  (Read 3336 times)
Olivia Bauer
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: December 28, 2019, 07:29:22 PM »

What's the worst experience you've had watching a movie? Annoying crowds? Uncomfortable chairs? That kind of thing. I think I just had my worst.

I went to see Uncut Gems at the theater my sister Angie works at. We sit down, the movie starts, but then some bald dude in a blue hoodie sits across from us.
I paid him no mind until my sister nudged me and said "That guy has been stalking me." Turns out she used to work with this psycho at a different job and he has
a habit of stalking his co-workers even after they quit. I asked Angie if I should get someone and she said she'd do it since I've been looking forward to this movie.

I couldn't even focus on the movie, I was just watching this nutbag out of fear that he might pull out a gun or some s**t. After what felt like an eternity an usher came
and talked to the guy. I couldn't hear the full conversation but the usher read his ticket. What I could hear was the usher telling him he's in the wrong seat and he
needs to move to the one listed on his ticket. He fought with him a bit but gave up and walked passed me. Turns out his seat was on the same row but beyond a large crowd of people.

As he walked by he looked at me and muttered something. I think I heard the word f**k and he sounded angry. I'm guessing he either noticed me staring or was under the impression
that I was her boyfriend or some s**t and insulted me. I couldn't hear him that well. At one point it looked like he was going back to the seat because the usher left and I was prepared to
report him again, but he actually forgot his keys. On his way back he said something to me that sounded an awful lot like a homophobic slur that starts with an "F".

Angie returned but I was too nervous to be in the theater anymore since he was still there so we went outside. We talked to my sister's boss about it. When I mentioned that he
probably called me a homophobic slur, the manager looked absolutely enraged. The guy was forced out of the theater, he got into a fight with an usher, and then, defeated, he
finally left the building. I wanted to go home at this point because I missed a big chunk of the movie but the manager wouldn't have been happy with me if I left after all that.
Besides, I didn't want to risk encountering this loony in the parking lot.

We finished the movie but it was kind of a chore given how much context was missing. I was able to fill in the blanks but the experience was still ruined.
My sister is still shaken about what happened and I was absolutely fuming. I'm still p**sed off right now.

So, anyone else here have a theater horror story to tell?

Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2019, 10:09:01 PM »

Wow.  That is terrible.  The world is sadly full of dirt-bags.  I am sorry you experienced that.  Frankly, I would have left. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
bob
I survived Bucky Larson

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2019, 10:14:14 PM »

When I saw Saw 7 in the theater years ago I was but a few people who saw it.

It was bad enough that I was hating what I was watching, but 2 women who were sitting a few seats from my left kept screaming loudly when someone got killed/injured.

It's like they didn't know what to expect.

Them along with the horrendous quality of the film made me consider leaving before what I paid to watch was done for the only time.

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
Gabriel Knight
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2019, 06:53:37 AM »

To be honest my bad experiences comes just from watching movies like THE FORCE AWAKENS or TOLKIEN, and leaving the place enraged at myself for wasting good cash and paying the coke habits of the producers.

Check my crappy and unpopular reviews and ratings:

https://www.imdb.com/user/ur85652268/?ref_=nv_usr_prof_2
sprite75
The Cat Herder of Badmovies

I'm a Mac...

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2019, 04:45:12 PM »

Nothing too bad.  Mainly crappy seats.

I do remember one time growing up where a movie was delayed about 1/2 hour because of a power failure. This was before cell phones went mainstream so we couldn’t call mom to say we’d be late getting out and she was running errands so we couldn’t reach her in any case. She was grumbling about having to wait on us.

Another time we went to see a movie and the power failed right towards the end due to a storm. It was one we had seen already so we didn’t bother waiting around.

God of making the characteristic which becomes dirty sends the hurricane.
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2019, 05:26:21 PM »

When I went to see Gangs of New York (which was a bad enough experience just by itself), people in the cinema were on their phones throughout. The people sitting right behind us were constantly on the phone until I got fed up, stood up and shouted something. From behind us I heard a whispered "I think I better hang up now."

Your kisses turn princes into frogs and passion plays into monologues.
claws
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2019, 05:41:21 PM »

Basically anytime I go to the theater it is more or less a terrible experience: movie ticket is expensive, movie food is expensive, 30 minutes of commercials with only three trailers, almost everyone playing with their phones before, during and after the movie, obnoxious people talking during the movie, people constantly walking back and forth during the movie for whatever reason.

One time we had a bomb threat. The movie was stopped for 45 minutes, police and "bomb" dogs went searching for a possible bomb. They found nothing but it was kind of scary going back and watching the rest of the film. One time we were actually locked in the theater. We had to wait 20 minutes until somebody unlocked the doors.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2019, 05:42:01 PM »

A few years ago, before most theaters widened the aisles and installed reclining chairs, the kid sitting behind me (probably about 6 years old) kept kicking the back of my chair. I turned around and looked at him and his father told him to stop. Within a few minutes he was kicking again. I turned my head and his father told him to stop again. Seemed like the father was oblivious to the constant kicking unless I turned around and looked.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2019, 05:44:48 PM »

One time we had a bomb threat.

A theater I went to a lot back in the 1970s had several bomb threats while I was there watching movies. At that time, no one was really thinking about terrorism and I don't think anyone was really scared. We were all just annoyed that we had to wait in the parking lot until the fire department searched the building.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Poo Person
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2019, 05:59:16 AM »

In April 1988, the Sterland [Star Land] cinema complex in Pretoria was the setting for an attempted bombing which resulted in the person / idiot / terrorist setting the bomb - a limpet mine - having a premature detonation and blowing himself to bits.  BounceGiggle

Screenings of the film Cry Freedom were also targeted by bomb threats.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
chefzombie
zombie chef to the stars

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2019, 04:39:52 PM »

discovering that the night blindness had gotten bad enough to cause claustrophobic panic when i was 35. haven't been to a movie theater since.

don't EVEN...EVER!
retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2019, 09:22:02 PM »

A couple really annoying experiences:

Some folks brought their kid with major cerebral palsy or something similar to Superman Returns and he would HOWL LOUDLY whenever the soundtrack kicked in.  Really, really awful experience.

Another time I went to a Halloween special showing of Evil Dead 2 and some mentally off (maybe high) dude in front of me fell asleep and somehow HICCUPPED NON-STOP.  LOUDLY.  Every few seconds, like clockwork, HYUK!  HYUK!  HYUK!  I bumped his chair multiple times and snapped my fingers in his face to get him to stop but he kept doing it.  Finally I got in his ear and told him to stop.  He finally woke up.  I half expected him to go psycho on me but even though he didn't apologize he finally shut up.  That one was particularly rough.

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2020, 05:10:20 PM »

When we were underage for an R-rated movie my friend and I sneaked into Pulp Fiction and got chucked out of not just the theater but the whole multiplex. Snooty usher even turned down a ten-dollar bribe.  BounceGiggle

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2020, 05:17:55 PM »

Another bad time was when some kid in the next row blew chunks (by the smell I think he'd been eating brined roadkill) when I took my little cousin Tyler to see one of the Harry Potter movies.

Not as bad but still annoying, another time I took Tyler to see Shark Tale, and some black guy behind us kept yelling, "Will Smith my BOY! Will Smith my BOY!" 

Blah. I'm glad God miracled us DVDs and streaming services.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2020, 05:56:11 PM »

For his 18th birthday I took my little brother and two of his school friends to see The Blair Witch Project. The row in front of us had a bunch of drunks from a works night out and they proceeded to be noisy all the way through the movie. One of the passed out and started to snore loudly. I decided to amuse myself by flicking peanut M&M's at his to see if he had any allergies. I don't think he had any allergies as it turned out, but I did make him choke when I got three to land in his mouth at the same time.

Your kisses turn princes into frogs and passion plays into monologues.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Terrible Theater Experiences « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.