Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 05:54:22 PM
715651 Posts in 53150 Topics by 7766 Members
Latest Member: Epiphonecbc
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Movie Marathon Continues (Welcome Back Everyone ! ) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Movie Marathon Continues (Welcome Back Everyone ! )  (Read 1392 times)
Scott
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« on: October 19, 2004, 08:18:17 PM »

Wow ! Glad to see the messageboard back again. Hope Andrew is Ok out there. My movie Marathon Continues as I saw a few more films and documentaries. Here is what I saw while the board was down:

DAY AFTER TOMORROW (2004) - This film is like a big advertisement from the environmentalist community and the acting is on level with a government industrial film. Some of the scenes were unreal. Even though the film had some bad parts the picture was above average overall in my opinion and the film gave me a chill as I was thinking it was January or February after this viewing this film. With storms that big you would have more problems than are projected on this film, but just sit back, relax, and you may still be able to get something out of this movie.

TEMPTATION OF A MONK (1993) - Wow, Great Hong Kong film directed by Clara Law and starring Joan Chen, Teddy Kwan, and Micheal Lee. This film is rich in color, gore, and much, much more. The movie is about a general who is dishonored and enters a monastery. The Buddhist dialogue at the 2nd monastery is the best ever put on film. The whole film is like a cross between a Kurosawa film and a Alejandro Jodorowsky film. Joan Chen is marvelous as the female lead and the visuals give a surreal feeling. The scene with Joan Chen getting her hair shaved for the monastery is way out there. The film also has many bloody heads and limbs chopped and cut off. This is must viewing if you can get a hold of it. I bought it at Borders for $3.99 on DVD.  Anyone see this one?

THE RECRUIT (2003) - Good film about the CIA starring Al Pacino. Keeps you one the edge of your seat all the way through. Really like films that show the clandestine workings of secret organizations even if they are not accurate.

CHEYENNE SOCIAL CLUB (1970) - Good old fun Western starring Jimmy Stewart and Henry Fonda. It's the story of a Texas cowboy who inherits a bordello in Wyoming and has trouble trying to figure out what to do with it. It's great to hear Stewart and Fonda dialogue especially the type Fonda can deliver in a Western. Believe it or not Gene Kelly directs this one.

THE MOUNTAIN MEN (1980) - Really enjoyed this film starring Charlton Heston, Brian Keith, and Victoria Racimo who played Running Moon. The whole film was shot in the Grand Teton Mountain area. The movie is about fur traders in the frontier of Wyoming struggling against the Blackfeet Indians. Hestons character falls in love is an Indian woman named Running Moon and saves her from an Indian warrior. It was also neat to see a fur trader rendezvous portrayed on film. If you liked JEREMIAH JOHNSON (1972) then you may also like this one.

CNN TRIBUTE: AMERICA REMEMBERS (2003) - Wow, relive the events of September 11, 2001 with this CNN DVD with all the footage and interviews. If you are taking the news at face value then you would and should want to vote for George W. Bush in the November election. His decisions were quite appropriate to the events of that day. The President was the man of the hour. Worth a second look lest we forget and how soon people do forget.

BUSH'S BRAIN (2004) - Here is a film that shows a rather diabolic image of the Bush administration adviser Karl Rove from his work in Texas elections all the way to George Bush's election to the presidency. This documentary is on par with Micheal Moores film which is also aimed at taking down the George W. Bush. Worth a look, but don't forget to vote for George Bush this November. No matter how bad the alternative news or the so called opposition portrays him. I just want to know how I can be part of this Presidents team?

THE FOG OF WAR: Eleven Lessons from the Life of Robert S. McNamara (2003) - Very good documentary originally intended for PBS, but was put to DVD as they had so much that McNamara wanted to talk about. Hired as Kennedy's Secretary of State after serving in WWII after being President of Ford automobiles. He tells us about WWII in Japan and the fire bombings of all the major cities before the use of the atomic bombs. The film plays very revealing audio tapes between himself, Kennedy, and Johnson related to the Cuban Missle Crisis and later how the Vietnam War was started. It shows how really close we were to a nuclear war during the Cuban Missle Crisis and the attitude going into Vietnam and some of the reasoning. You'll be amazed, but perhaps not shocked at what really went on and goes on in places of high power.

With God On Our Side: Bush (2004) - This documentary was on Sundance Channel tonight. Shows the rise of the religious right in politics during the 80's and the rise of George W. Bush to the Presidency. Interesting little documentary and it's an interesting side note to all that is going on. Sundance Channel shows alot of very good independent documentaries that you won't see on other channels.

Post Edited (10-19-04 22:21)

Deej
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2004, 05:48:37 AM »

The Cheyenne Social Club has always been a favorite. As you mentioned, it's a Comic-Western, in the Cat Balou / Support Your Local Sheriff; tradition.Fonda and Stewart make a great team. I seem tho remember a similar film with Henry Fonda and Glenn Ford, but I'm just coming off a 10 hour shift, so I may be imagining the whole thing.

I thought The Recruit was pretty basic. Not good, not bad, just there. Nothing really special, the acting was fair, but no surprises and nothing new plot-wise.

Haven't seen any of the other films in your lineup, though Mountain Men looks promising! I very much enjoyed JEREMIAH JOHNSON, so I'll try to catch this one.

As for voting for Bush....NO. I'm a police officer in a college town so I deal with enough drunken fratboys, don't need one for president, plus, I'm in a union...that makes me evil, somehow.

So, while we differ in our politics, at least we can agree on the joys of crappy films and that, IMO, is much more important!!!

Everyone has potentially fatal flaws, but yours involve a love of soldiers' wives, an insatiable thirst for whiskey, and the seven weak points in your left ventricle.

DJ
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2004, 08:37:24 AM »

I've only seen a few flicks on your list.  Bush's Brain was an interesting look at Rove's role in politics and his works.

Fog Of War is a beautiful documentary.  I was amazed at just how good it was.  I have a review of it here:

http://keeptheticket.com/reviews.php?searchrid=14

Fantastic film.  Errol Morris' highest point I do believe.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
daveblackeye15

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2004, 10:19:06 AM »

I'm not gonna vote at all because...I'm underage! :( (Okay I'm sorry I don't want to turn this into a flame.) My friend says the Day After Tommorow sucked and he had sat with his friends in the theater and made fun of it MST3K style, boy THAT sounded like fun.

Now it's time to sing the nation anthem IN AMERICA!!!

Bandit Keith from Yu-Gi-Oh the Abridged Series (episode 12)
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2004, 10:29:15 AM »

The Day After Tomorrow was an experience.  It wasn't great, but it wasn't bad either.  What I found so interesting about the film is that it was cold in the theater, and when we exited I expected the air outside to be quite frigid after viewing the film.

Wasn't the case.  Just hot and humid.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Yaddo 42
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2004, 05:15:58 PM »

I rented "The Fog of War" recently. Excellent film overall with a subject who has much to say whether you agree with him or not. Glad McNamara is so willing to discuss what really happened during the parts of American history he was involved with, and to admit mistakes and the points where they just got lucky. The extra/extened scenes on the DVD added about 30 minutes of footage well worth viewing. I did wonder if the incident he related with him telling off the female protester outside the World Bank was legit though. I have a hard time believing out of all the politically involved protesters around only one recognized him. Still a great film though.

Mountain Men - I first saw this as a kid on cable when relatives latched onto it. A fun film that critics usually rip apart for some reason. Lots of humor (especially with Brian Keith hamming it up, I miss him) mixed in with some surprising violence. Probably the last time Heston could play a man of action, but part of the point of the movie was that the characters were getting old.

I believe Deej means the 1965 flick "The Rouders" with Ford and Fonda. Haven't seen it or "Cheyenne Social Club". Both have slipped through the crack for me over the years, but I'll have to check out CSC, since I like a lot of the westerns from this period when actors like Fonda, Stewart, William Holden, Richard Widmark began to get older. Have you ever seen "There Was a Crooked Man" starring Fonda and Kirk Douglas? Another comic western, with a great supporting cast.
Deej
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2004, 04:57:18 AM »

Yaddo 42 wrote:

> I believe Deej means the 1965 flick "The Rouders" with Ford and
> Fonda. Haven't seen it or "Cheyenne Social Club". Both have
> slipped through the crack for me over the years, but I'll have
> to check out CSC, since I like a lot of the westerns from this
> period when actors like Fonda, Stewart, William Holden, Richard
> Widmark began to get older. Have you ever seen "There Was a
> Crooked Man" starring Fonda and Kirk Douglas? Another comic
> western, with a great supporting cast.

I checked out the description of THE ROUNDERS on IMDB, that's it Yaddo!! It was directed by Burt Kennedy who also did other comic westerns like SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL SHERIFF, SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL GUNFIGHTER, and DIRTY DINGUS MCGEE.

I have seen THERE WAS A CROOKED MAN, I remember it as a drama with some comical moments, such as the mass bathing scene. Kirk Douglas was a devious bastard in this one.

Everyone has potentially fatal flaws, but yours involve a love of soldiers' wives, an insatiable thirst for whiskey, and the seven weak points in your left ventricle.

DJ
Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2004, 03:41:32 PM »

Deej as you know both of the canidates are Bones men from Yale. That's our only choice since the television didn't bother to cover the other 300 canidates that are running for president. Well, we still have movies.

I recommend all the films that I saw last week, but I highly recommend TEMPTATION OF A MONK (1993) , as it really surprised me that it was that good. Fantastic film !

I also really liked CHEYENNE SOCIAL CLUB and THE MOUNTAIN MEN.

Post Edited (10-21-04 20:54)

Deej
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2004, 01:58:24 AM »

Scott wrote:

> Deej as you know both of the canidates are Bones men from Yale.
> That's our only choice since the television didn't bother to
> cover the other 300 canidates that are running for president.
> Well, we still have movies.

Yep, ain't it grand to have choices!! I'll definitely check out The Mountain Men and Temptation Of A Monk, thanks for the heads up!

DJ
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Movie Marathon Continues (Welcome Back Everyone ! ) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.