Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 06:05:36 AM
715862 Posts in 53157 Topics by 7771 Members
Latest Member: VernMolone
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Ray Harryhousen « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ray Harryhousen  (Read 1985 times)
Ed, Ego and Superego
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: December 01, 2009, 01:56:47 PM »

I just noticed this piece of (obvious) similarity between two Harryhousen creations....
Ymir

Kraken

-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
skuts
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 11:32:10 AM »

Poor old Ray was losing his touch by the time he did Titans. I saw a lot of rehash there. The real similarity is between Ymir and the 7th Voyage Cyclops, which was built upon the Ymir's armature.

Babies taste best.
WilliamWeird1313
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Bad taste is just an acquired taste!!!

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 02:25:54 PM »

Also in Clash Of The Titans, you'll notice that the Calibos model is just a reworked version of the Trog model from Sinbad & The Eye Of The Tiger. I wouldn't go so far as to say "losing his touch," though. I didn't think there's necessarily anything wrong with adapting the old creatures for the purposes of a newer movie.

"On a mountain of skulls in a castle of pain, I sat on a throne of blood. What was will be, what is will be no more. Now is the season of evil." - Vigo (former Carpathian warlord and one-time Slayer lyric-writer)
Jim H

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 03:39:06 PM »

Also in Clash Of The Titans, you'll notice that the Calibos model is just a reworked version of the Trog model from Sinbad & The Eye Of The Tiger. I wouldn't go so far as to say "losing his touch," though. I didn't think there's necessarily anything wrong with adapting the old creatures for the purposes of a newer movie.

I don't think his work on Clash of the Titans is as good as some of his older work in emotive expressiveness of the creations.  That may not be all his fault though, depending on how and if he was directed to animate, or how the background plates were done, etc. 

IIRC, when I saw Harryhausen speak at a showing of Jason and the Argonauts, he said he reused and altered the Ymir design as he really liked the creature and thought it didn't get enough props.  Something like that anyway.
WingedSerpent

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2009, 10:09:19 AM »

Being designed by the same artist-and remember, these where both fictional creatures, as opposed to the dinosaurs and prehistoic animals from a lot of his other films, its no real surprise that there some repeating looks and motifs. 

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2009, 01:39:01 PM »

What bugs me is that I never ever noticed.  I have seen both of thes emovies several times. 

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
Nathan
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2009, 02:46:41 PM »

His Medusa was still Iconic, to the point where if a traditional Medusa appears in fiction without the lower body of a snake, I cry fowl.   Smile
Criswell
i got better
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2009, 04:06:12 PM »

has anyone here seen the Blu ray box for Clash of the titans? it looks like crappy photo shop, I mean the dvd cove is freaking awesome

compared to this

skuts
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2009, 02:20:56 PM »

I love Harryhausen's, films, except for Clash of the Titans, which I thought was pitiful. I was embarrassed to be sitting in the theatre for the premier. Halfway through the film, I knew it was the end for Harryhausen.
I was at a film festival in NY about a hundred years ago where Harryhausen was the keynote speaker. This was just before Titans was released and tanked his career. A little kid, about seven or eight years old was there with his dad. During Q & A, the kid asked Ray where he could write to him and Ray says don't bother writing to me, kid, I'm too busy to read fan mail. Geez, Ray, at least give the kid your agents address. Nice way to downsize your future fan base.

Babies taste best.
D-Man
Bad Movie Lover

Only my head is tiny...

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2009, 11:46:18 PM »

According to Wikipedia, Clash of The Titans was actually the 11th highest grossing film of 1981, so it was far from "tanking" his career.  He actually meant for that to be his last film, and on his own wishes, retired after its release. 

You have to understand, he's an old man, from a different era in hollywood. He doesn't really get modern filmmaking, or fandoms, so it's not surprising that he doesn't quite know how to handle hardcore fans of his work. 

One other thing, I think that viewers who think his creatures look fake are kind of missing the point.  He never meant for his monsters to look "real", but, in his own words, "fantastic".  I think that's one idea from Harryhausen that the CG artists need to grasp in order for their work to start really getting good. 
Criswell
i got better
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2009, 05:50:40 PM »

According to Wikipedia, Clash of The Titans was actually the 11th highest grossing film of 1981, so it was far from "tanking" his career.  He actually meant for that to be his last film, and on his own wishes, retired after its release. 

You have to understand, he's an old man, from a different era in hollywood. He doesn't really get modern filmmaking, or fandoms, so it's not surprising that he doesn't quite know how to handle hardcore fans of his work. 

One other thing, I think that viewers who think his creatures look fake are kind of missing the point.  He never meant for his monsters to look "real", but, in his own words, "fantastic".  I think that's one idea from Harryhausen that the CG artists need to grasp in order for their work to start really getting good. 

Very well put. Karma!

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Ray Harryhousen « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.