Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 02:44:41 PM
715644 Posts in 53149 Topics by 7766 Members
Latest Member: Epiphonecbc
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  spammer!! « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: spammer!!  (Read 2872 times)
ulthar
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2005, 01:13:23 PM »

Blue.Brutal wrote:

>
> Besides, I'm not interested in the people sending the spam.
> I'm interested in the companies sponsoring them; Governments
> world wide can't seem to figure out that it's only by getthing
> those guys that you can stop (or at least, slow down) spam.
>

The point is, the 'companies sponsoring them' are not legit companies that are easy to locate.  The ones who send the spam are doing so at the behest of other criminals.  Governments are having a hard time locating the criminals, whether they be the ones who send spam or sponsor it.

Besides, I am sure 'governments' have figured this out.  Doing something about it is easier said than done.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2005, 01:53:20 PM »

Boy are these handbags cheesy.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
odinn7

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2005, 02:06:17 PM »

trek_geezer wrote:

> Boy are these handbags cheesy.
>

You got some already? I'm still waiting for mine to come in. Gee, I hope it's not a scam since I gave them my credit card number and spent $2000 on their bags...I just couldn't decide which ones I wanted.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
Cullen
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2005, 03:55:02 PM »

Murder victims usually don't continue on with their lives.  Spammer victims and victims of other cons generally do.

It's apples and oranges, really.  You might not want to associate with either, but a murderer is clearly the worse villian.

Cullen - Super Genius, Novelist, and all in all Great Guy.
Blue.Brutal
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2005, 05:48:48 PM »

Menard wrote:

> Is there much difference in the mindset of someone who kills
> and someone who tortures, neither feeling any regret in their
> actions and even getting pleasure from it? There is a
> difference in the end result, as a living victim, although
> perhaps scarred for life, does have a life to try to rebuild;
> but the person who did that will continue to leave many more
> victims. I personally feel that there is no greater crime than
> a crime against a child. There are, however, those who toe the
> line in being able to victimize others and still stay just out
> of reach of prosecution. They get a pleasure out of victimizing
> people and the reactions they get from their victims, and will
> continue to do it to many more. To me, they are no better than
> murderers.
>

You know what I just realized?  We're going to have to agree to disagree on this matter;  I don't think I've run into a more pointless thing to argue about recently, so I think I'm pretty much done here.  I respect that this is how you see things, and that's cool. I just don't agree.

__
"And besides – it simply isn’t possible to hate a film whose ultimate moral is that, yes, all the bad stuff in the world is Ashton Kutcher’s fault; and, yes, many people would be better off if Ashton Kutcher had never come into their lives."
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2005, 07:52:43 PM »

Cullen wrote:

>
> It's apples and oranges, really.  You might not want to
> associate with either, but a murderer is clearly the worse
> villian.

This is getting off-topic by quite a bit, but you raise an interesting point.  Some people see "levels" of right and wrong.

It was only recently (the past half century or so, roughly) that this relativism began.

I'm not sure it's a good thing.  You know, speeding is a crime, yet you often hear people saying "it's only speeding."

Now, what's being debated here is appropriate punishment, and I understand the debate.  As the original "shoot 'em" poster, I'll say I was serious. And here's why:

A few years ago, I was engaged in a debate with someone about whether it was right or wrong for me to kill someone breaking into my house.  I believe it is not only my "right," but also my responsibility.  A person who does that is saying they don't want to play by the rules, and they are willing to put their own selfish greed ahead of the safety of my family.  I would not be shooting someone to save my TV, but, in a sense, to save our way of life: a way that is premised on honoring other people's stuff, and more importantly, their space.

Is a spammer in this category?  I think they are.  They cause a lot of damage.  One may argue that that damage is only "financial;"  I say there is more to it than that.  Spamming is a huge social problem (whether you recognize it or not, it does have large scale economic impact, which influences peoples lives...maybe not to the traumatic degree as murder, but I'm sure being 75 years old and having your life's savings ripped off is pretty freakin bad, or the price of goods going up effects EVERYBODY--that's what unchecked organized crime does).

Basically, the spammers are saying "you are not safe." We can work hard for years and years and through one mistake (say clicking a link when you meant to click delete) perhaps made while being distracted by the phone ringing, it's all gone.  They are damaging the infrastructure of the Internet, which is a PUBLIC RESOURCE (query: if a person went and cut down ALL the trees in the Great Smokies National Park, would folks be screaming for blood?  You bet they would).

We had some money stolen out of our savings account last year.  My wife discovered it one night innocently checking our balance to make sure a deposit had cleared.  Let me tell you one thing:  I *DID* want to kill the person who make my wife feel scared like she did for that first week.  True, that was not a spammer, but again, I shall emphasize: THEY ARE ALL THE SAME - spammers, phishers, identity thieves, etc.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  spammer!! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.