Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:52:33 PM
714481 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7743 Members
Latest Member: medikam
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Un-official Badmovie.org Movie Database Experiment « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Un-official Badmovie.org Movie Database Experiment  (Read 1323 times)
Scott
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« on: January 15, 2006, 05:58:42 PM »

BADMOVIES.ORG MOVIE DATABASE EXPERIMENT

A

The Adventures of Buckaroo Bonzai
Army of Darkness
Attack of the Crab Monsters

B

Beast of Yucca Flats
The Beginning of the End
The Blob

C

Carnavel of Souls
The Crawling Eye
Creature from the Black Lagoon

D

Dawn of the Dead
Dead Alive
Devils Rain
Dinosaurus !  
Dog Soldiers  
Dracula

E

Evil Dead
Evil Dead II

F

Flesh Eaters
The Forbidden Zone
Frankenstein
Freaks
For Y'ur Height Only

G

Gamera the Invincible
Giant of the Unknown
The Giant Gila Monster
The Godmonster of Indian Flats
Godzilla  

H

Halloween
Horror of the Black Museum
Horror Hotel
House on Haunted Hill
Howling

I

The Incredible Shrinking Man
The Invisible Man
Island of Lost Souls

J

K

The Killer Shrews
King Kong

L

M

Man with the X-Ray Eyes
The Manster
Maniac !
Mesa of the Lost Women
Motel Hell
The Mummy

N

Naked Lunch
Night of the Ghouls
Night of the Living Dead
Nosferatu

O

P

Panic in the Year Zero

Q

R

Return of the Living Dead
Robot Monster

S

Santa Claus
Santa Claus Conquers the Martians
The Seven Faces of Dr. Lao
The Shining

T

Them !
The Thing

U

V

Valley of Gwangi

W

Wicker Man
White Zombie
Wild Women of Wongo
The Wolfman

X

Y

Yongary

Z

Zardoz

Been thinking about compiling a Movie database with the names of all significant films of each genre for this messageboard. A checklist of sorts for those who want to see it all...........

The breakdowns could be by genre and maybe even year. We could start lists of films and keep adding till we can think of no more. It will be different in the sense that it will simply be a list of movie titles with nothing else.

The checklist would be brought together slowly by editing the post and making it a "sticky" when closer to completion. Visitors could print the list out and check which films they have viewed. A kind of "Film School Degree" offered right here at badmovies.org.

When we are done it might very well be the only real movie checklist available on the internet with thousands of titles to consider. Anyone want to contribute to the greatest movie list of all time? Only we B-movie fans here on the messageboard know the really obscure and rare films that are out there.

Going to start the first list which will be from the Horror genre and will add all other list to the main post for our movie title library and will try to break it up to make it more navigatable. Here are the first films:

That's 9 Horror films for now. When I get time We'll add more of course if anyone is interested. We can also do sub-genres either now or later.

odinn7

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2006, 09:52:01 PM »

I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for but to add to the horror list:

D

Dawn of the Dead
Dead Alive
Devils Rain
Dog Soldiers

E

Evil Dead

H

Halloween
Howling

M

Maniac!
Motel Hell

N

Night of the Living Dead
Nosferatu

R

Return of the Living Dead

T

The Thing

S

The Shining

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
Scott

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2006, 10:58:10 PM »

Yep, that's the idea Odinn7. I added them to the checklist. So many films that I wouldn't never have time to type them all out. As you all post I can cut and paste them to the top of the post.

We'll see how it goes. Thanks. Once the checklist gets big we can make it more elaborate and maybe add a couple posters years and maybe some links to the films to enhance the checklist and eventually make it an official page for badmovies.org some day.

Scott

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2006, 11:54:05 PM »

This my take up to much space. : ) Wonder it you can make columns within a post to double and triple the rows to save space?

LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2006, 12:06:04 AM »

I tend to have trouble sorting out genres.
I've got so many titles from $2.00 bulk closout VHS & $1.00 double feature DVDs scattered all around my apartment, that I've lost track of them all.
And yet, so many titles that I have yet to find/see, titles I would love to recomend, and so many titles I feel obligated to recomend against... It's like that painfully long line-up at the beginning of Santa Claus (1959).

Well, while I've been slowly sorting through this pile of old socks that's been accumulating over the past five years in hopes of finding my walkman, I recently discovered this feature available for registered IMDB users, called "My Movies".

Basicly, if you're registered with IMDB, you'll find an "Add to My Movies" link just below the title of a movie. If you click on this link, it will place the title in a "Pending" folder, and then you can move or copy the title to a category of your choice.

For example, here are My Lists;

Must See - http://www.imdb.com/mymovies/list?l=9362640
To See - http://www.imdb.com/mymovies/list?l=16047939
Must Miss - http://www.imdb.com/mymovies/list?l=16047948
Just Plain Weird - http://www.imdb.com/mymovies/list?l=16466925
Stuff I've Updated - http://www.imdb.com/mymovies/list?l=15960109
Pending - http://www.imdb.com/mymovies/list?l=9362638

I'm not sure, but I think you need to be registered with the IMDB in order to view these links.
Of coarse, it's still a Work In Progress, and I'm still trying to rearrange some of these categories, but it's saved me the trouble of cluttering up my Favorites menu with all these titles.

I'm not sure if this is the sorta' thing you're talking about, but I wanted to pass it along.

In the meantime, I just found my channel locks & a flashlight, and I'm not sure whether I should put them in my desk drawer, or that cardboard box under my stereo, or if I should dig out that toolbox I've got buried under a stack of old magazines. I think I'll just leave them in the refridgerator until I decide.

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
peter johnson

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2006, 12:44:04 AM »

Scott:
Please don't forget that the name of the site here is "Badmovies", ergo, the only real "must sees"here should be enjoyably bad films --
You have listed some -- shudder -- "good" films on your initial list, eg:  Freaks, Frankenstein, etc. etc. --
Seriously, what is the point?
If you wish to compile a "must see" list for people to THIS site, I would think a better list would concentrate on things like P:  Plan 9 From Outer Space, R:  Robot Monster, etc. etc. etc.
Now, THIS sort of list would have some value, re. it would presume that we're all proceeding from a shared point-of-departure when we go on to then call a newer, or less-well-known movie a BAD one, in the sense that it's something we'd like to see --
See my point?
If I wore a hat, it wouldn't show . . .
love
peter johnson/denny crane

I have no idea what this means.
dean

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2006, 03:38:04 AM »

What a great idea!

I agree with Pete; we need some sort of guidelines to make this work right, and to select 'bad' movies is a must.

Anywho, I'm not going to add any to the list just yet [so I can think it through] but I do think this could be a great idea to have as a kind of 'introductory to B-movies' listing and such, and like suggested, perhaps split into genres as well.

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Scott

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2006, 06:15:22 AM »

I agree with you both Peter Johnson and Dean. It would be more appropriate to the website and less time consuming for sure.

Lilcerberus I'll look into those features at imdb.com

Well, here are some starting bad movies to mention.

Plan 9 From Outer Space
Manos Hands of Fate
Robot Monster
Beast of Yucca Flats
Eegah ! ! !
Attack of the Killer Tomatoes
Santa Claus Conquers the Martians

If we can get a good agreeded upon bad movie list we'll make it a "sticky". I'm shooting for the top 100 bad movies for the post. I think Andrew has reviews of most of  the ones above and we can make links later.

Scott

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2006, 07:11:17 AM »

Just signed up for the imdb.com personal movie list. Great feature and I've put up 15 of my yet to view movies on the list. I really like this feature. Thanks.

Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2006, 09:34:48 AM »

Here's a few more:

A: The Adventures of Buckaroo Bonzai

D: Dinosaurus!

F: The Forbidden Zone
    For Y'ur Height Only

G: The Giant Gila Monster
     The Godmonster of Indian Flats

I: The Incredible Shrinking Man

K: The Killer Shrews

M: The Manster
     Mesa of the Lost Women

N: Naked Lunch

S: Santa Claus
    The Seven Faces of Dr. Lao
(not a good bad movie, just a good one)

V: Valley of Gwangi (another good one, but cheesy)

W: Wild Women of Wongo

I'll post more as I think of them. I like this idea!

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
Scott

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2006, 10:44:06 AM »

Thanks Derf.

Added them to top of the Horror movie checklist.

peter johnson

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2006, 12:43:40 AM »

Once Upon a Time, In a Galaxy Far, Far Away . . .
There once was a book, called the Golden Turkey Awards.
Even though this book is by the Medved brothers, who currently enjoy little critical respect, due to , I dunno -- their political POV? -- Whatever . . .
IN ANY CASE, the Golden Turkey Awards book first alerted a lot of us out here that there were "others" out there:   Like minded individuals who also enjoyed the sound of Forbidden Laughter, re. Certain Films . . .
The Golden Turkey Awards book first codified how to judge given "BAD" movies, and what we were looking for to admire or simply stare at in drop-jawed awe --
There are too many films listed therein to replicate here,
HOWEVER -- (Didn't you know there'd be a "however"?) -- There does need to be certain standards:  
Is the film representative of a desire to produce Grand Art, yet falls far of the mark by Grand Degrees?
Does the film aspire to "Produce", either mirth, fear, introspection, excitement, awe, reverence, etc., and somehow miss the mark by an almost circular mile?
Do the Production Standards of said films employ, in the immortal words of Frank Zappa, "Visible nylon strings attached to the jaw of a giant spider"?
I think we can all get on the same page here --
I propose the very basic book, The Golden Turkey Awards, as a very basic point of departure from which to extrapolate within this site.  By all means, dissent, argue ,etc,  All schools of Scholarship have been thereby creaated.
peter johnson/denny crane

I have no idea what this means.
LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2006, 03:10:48 AM »

peter johnson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Once Upon a Time, In a Galaxy Far, Far Away . . .
> There once was a book, called the Golden Turkey
> Awards.
> Even though this book is by the Medved brothers,
> who currently enjoy little critical respect, due
> to , I dunno -- their political POV? -- Whatever .
> . .

Yeah, Ilike it when Michael Medved fills in for Rush Limbaugh. Yeah, sadly, I'm one of "them".

But I digress.

My dad once told me that Joe Bob Briggs was the grandaddy of the movement, having been the first "serious" critic in a major newspaper to write reviews about the kind of movies that most critics avoided. He even hosted his own signature line of videos back in the late '80s or early '90s of movies he'd reviewed.

As for the Golden Turkey Awards, I once came across a copy in my high school library, but I didn't actually read it, I just thumbed through it, but I do recall the mention of Santa claus Conquers the Martians, and that Prophecy was "The Most Unbearable Bear Movie Ever Made".

Anyhoo, one of my favorite books (back when I used to read) was The Book of Cult Movies by Danny Perry.
It was formatted alphabetically, starting with a one page synopsis, followed by a two page review, and it had an awful lot of pictures.

I was thumbing through this one when I came across a rather glowing review of Mad Max. I figured that if this guy could write a glowing review of Mad Max, then it must be about the kind of movies that I watch.
Sadly out of print, Danny Perry put out two sequels, which I never got a chance to read. Still, if it weren't for the Book of Cult Movies, I probably never even woulda' heard of El Topo, Billy Jack, Emanuelle or Freaks.
I think there were even once a couple of Danny Perry/Book of Cult Movies fansites, but I lost the links a couple of hard drives ago, but I still have the book... If I can find it in this mess.

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2006, 08:46:15 AM »

I used to watch Joe Bob on TNT, I really miss shows like this.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Un-official Badmovie.org Movie Database Experiment « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.