Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:12:04 PM
714448 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  overlooked/underrated gems « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: overlooked/underrated gems  (Read 2691 times)
Dolph Lundgren
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2006, 07:32:22 PM »

Victor Salva's The Nature of the Beast would be a great candidate for this thread, as I think it's both underrated and overlooked.

The movie revolves around Jack (Lance Henriksen), a middle-class executive traveling on business, who stumbles on a murder scene.  The policemen at the scene advise him to be careful, as there is a serial killer in the area hitch-hiking in search of his next victim.  After being warned by the police, Jack meets Adrian (Eric Roberts) at a nearby diner, and from then on, continues to follow Jack wherever he goes.  Coincidentally (or not?) the murders continue everywhere the two go.

It sounds pretty straightforward, but Salva does a nice job in setting a bleak, dreary landscape surrounding the characters, adding a bit of creepiness to the movie.  Henriksen does a great job as always and Roberts is decent as well.  That and the movie contains a nice little plot twist at the end to keep things interesting.

Runaway Train is another one.  More overlooked than underrated, I'd say.  This is, without a doubt, the best legitimate movie that's ever come out of the Cannon Group.  The movie focuses on two escaped convicts (Jon Voight and Eric Roberts - again) who bust their way out of a prison in the middle of the Alaskan wilderness.  The two end up catching a ride on a train, expecting to ride their way to freedom.  One slight problem: the engineer dies of a heart attack, leaving the duo, and a female railway worker, to try to stop the train, which is speeding out of control toward a dead end.  Check this one out if you can.
Fearless Freep
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2006, 04:10:13 AM »

Hard to say, I lke a lof of bad stuff most people never hear of; are those overlooked/underated gems or just my bad taste?

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2006, 01:59:47 AM »

Fearless Freep Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hard to say, I lke a lof of bad stuff most people
> never hear of; are those overlooked/underated gems
> or just my bad taste?
>
> =======================
> Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to
> people unsuspecting

Since discovering the internet back in October 2000, and particularly since joining this board last summer, I'm often pleasantly suprised to discover just how many people tend to share my enthusiasm for particular films.

Case in point, for about fifteen years of my life, I never met anyone who liked Mad Max. Every time I mentioned it, people would just roll their eyes at me, some even going so far as to tell me how dumb it was & how dumb I was for liking it. Then I would counter by pointing out that scene where Mudguts (or rather his stunt double) takes a spill & gets whacked across the head by the back wheel of his own motorbike, and they would roll their eyes and grudgingly agree with me on that one scene.

So, no Fearless, it's not a matter of bad taste, just people's aprehension of the unknown.

As for me, I would've gone with Mad Max or Galaxy of Terror, but I've discovered over the past few years that too many people like those to fall under the overlooked/underrated category, so I'm going to have to go with Huntress: Spirit of the Night. Even though the plot (if you can call it a plot) is completely cheesey & unoriginal, I found it to be well directed by Mark Manos, with an excellent soundtrack by Fuzbee Morse, and of coarse, actress Jenna Bodnar has a nice rack.

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
Neon Noodle
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2006, 09:44:49 AM »

Another one I really liked was "The Mechanic".

Since we have a lot of folks in here who liked "Equilibrium", this one will keep you happy, as Christian Bale was in it as well.

The script called for a 'walking skeleton' for the part, and that's EXACTLY what Bale looked like. He barely ate for a few months to look like he did.

Check out the trailer, give it a watch. It's really good.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount_classics/the_machinist.html

In the night, the skull came to his dreams and said, 'You are a fool to rejoice in the entanglements of life.'
Chuang Tzu couldn`t believe this and asked, 'If I could return you to your life, you would want that, wouldn`t you?'
Stunned by Chuang Tzu`s foolishness, the skull replied, 'How do you know that it is bad to be dead?'

-From The Matrix: The Path of Neo
Rombles
Dedicated Viewer

Stupid fat hobbit...

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2006, 06:31:44 AM »

Does Hudson Hawk count?

Brrrrrrrraaaaaaiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnsssssssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!
Fearless Freep

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2006, 09:51:44 AM »

Does Hudson Hawk count?

As underrated or just overlooked :)

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
akiratubo

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2006, 02:54:38 PM »

I love Hudson Hawk.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
onionhead
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2006, 08:40:32 PM »

AUUAUAUUUUUGHHH!!!!!!   HUDSON HAWK DOES NOT COUNT!!! IT SHOULD BE BURNED AT THE STAKE!!!!
Overblown, overbudgeted Bruce Willis ego trip.  Sandra Bernhard--blech!!
Anyway, Runaway Train, certainly overlooked.  Based on a script by Akira Kurosawa.  Terrific.

Some people like cupcakes better--I for one care less for them
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  overlooked/underrated gems « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.