Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:15:23 AM
714463 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  OLIVER TWIST, THE GORILLA and THE HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: OLIVER TWIST, THE GORILLA and THE HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL  (Read 1341 times)
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: February 05, 2006, 09:34:56 AM »

Yup, those are the 3 movies I watched this weekend (along with 3 episodes of THE TIME TUNNEL).

OLIVER TWIST (2005) - This is Roman Polanski's very worthy remake of the Charles Dickens classic.  This version is probably the most downbeat that I have seen and does a good job capturing the filth and decadence of the seedy sections of 1880s London.  The cast is excellent, although the casting of the musical version (especially Oliver Reed as Bill Sykes) will never be beat.  Recommended.

THE GORILLA (1939) - This is a forgettable Ritz Brothers comedy co-starring Lionel Atwill, Bela Lugosi (as a butler), and Patsy Kelly (who was in ROSEMARY'S BABY three decades later).  If you aren't familiar with the Ritz Brothers, they are 3 guys who all have the same personality, which makes them very boring to watch.  The Marx Brothers, Abbott and Costello, the Three Stooges, and other comedy teams were all appealing because each member of the team had a distinct personality and an individual schtick.  Not so with the Ritz Brothers.  You can't tell one from another because they all act the same.  In this movie, they play three detectives (wearing hats and trench coats) trying to solve a series of murders committed by a mysterious killer known as "The Gorilla."  Every time something scary happens, the Ritz brothers "mug" for the camera.  That's the extent of the comedy: making funny faces.  This is in the HORROR CLASSICS 50 MOVIE PACK.  But don't be fooled.  It isn't a horror movie.  It's a comedy that isn't very funny.

THE HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL (1958) - This is a fun William Castle flick that I have seen about 7 or 8 times.  Any movie that features Vincent Price, Elisha Cook, Jr., and a floating skeleton is definitely worth repeat viewings.  This is also in the HORROR CLASSICS 50 MOVIE PACK.  It has one of the best audio and video transfers of any movie in this 12 disc set.

I also watched 3 episodes of THE TIME TUNNEL:

* Doug and Tony emerge from the time tunnel just before the attack on Pearl Harbor.  They get involved with Tony's father and with Tony when he was a little kid.

* Doug and Tony get captured by British Troops during the War of 1812.  Carroll (Archie Bunker) O'Connor is one of the guest stars and he plays 2 roles.

* Doug and Tony find themselves on the island of Krakatoa shortly before it exploded in the most massive volcanic eruption of all time.  Ellen (THE EXORCIST) Burstyn is one of the guest stars, but her name appears as "Ellen McRae" in the credits.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
peter johnson

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2006, 11:21:26 PM »

3 of the best episodes --
The 1812 one involved lots of footage from other films --
Just a great series all around --
peter johnson/denny crane

I have no idea what this means.
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2006, 10:01:34 AM »

I saw the title of this post and immediately started trying to make them all into a single movie: Oliver Twist, the Gorilla, and the House on Haunted Hill starring George Barrows (Robot Monster) as a poor, orphaned gorilla ("Please, sir, may I have some more banana pudding?") who encounters flying skeletons in a creepy mansion near the orphanage and defeats the plans of the evil Frederick Loren (Vincent Price) to drive a small, diverse group of primates (a chimpanzee, an orangutan, a howler monkey, a gibbon, a ring-tailed lemur and Tom Cruise) to suicide. He manages to save all but Cruise, who commits (career) suicide by jumping on the furniture repeatedly, singing "Ten Little Monkeys Jumping on the Bed/ One fell off and broke his head," at which point he does precisely that, to the cheers of all.

I think it's a hit!

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
odinn7

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2006, 10:32:49 AM »

Nice idea Derf. I'd pay to see it.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2006, 11:04:22 PM »

OLIVER TWIST (1948) is a great one.

THE GORILLA isn't great, but I liked this Bela Lugosi film and even though the Ritz Brothers aren't really funny, somehow I enjoyed seeing this comedy team of the era. THE GORILLA is much better than Bela Lugosi's THE BROOKLYN GORILLA which had a very very bad comedy team that looked like Lewis and Martin. Bela Lugosi's best Ape film is APE MAN. So this is how I rate Lugosi's ape films

1) Ape Man (1943) ******
2) The Gorilla (1939) *****
3) The Brooklyn Gorilla (1952) *

THE HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL is a must for all on this messageboard. Starring Vincent Price and directed by William Castle.

LH-C
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2006, 01:26:00 PM »

<>

I haven't seen Polanski's version yet, but the 1999 miniseries was very good. Robert Lindsay's portrayal of Fagin was haunting and disturbing.

The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2006, 05:48:33 PM »

Ben Kingsley plays Fagin in Polanski's version and he's very good.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
The Conqueroo
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2006, 08:29:18 PM »

And Don't Forget To Have Cindy Sheehan Show Up On An Episode of ":Desperate Housewives"Along With Ben Affleck and The AFLAC Duck Trtying To Sell AFLAC Insurance,Then Have Morgan Freeman Narrate An Episode of "Desperate Housewives":"I Wish I Could say That Mary Alice Young,Like Andy DuFrain,Fought The Good Fight.Unfortunately,She Did Not Survive!!".Then Heath Ledger and Jake Gylenhaal Ride Up To ASsk For Directions To "Brokeback Mountain"and Hank Hill Shows Up To Deliver Some Propane When Theyr'de All Taken Hostage By AlQuida,And Bruce Willis Shows Up Guns Blazing And Yelling "YIPPIE KI YAY PAMELA MARTHA FOCKER!!And Will Smith Does The Same Yelling "AWHELLNAW!!!"While Tom Cruise Tries To Convetrt Them All To Scientology!!Then It All Ends Up On "American Idol"With Simon Cowell Saying "I Don't Mean To Be Rude,But That Waas The Worst Performance Ever!!"But Paula and Randy Overrule With Randy Jackson Saying "DAWG!!!WELCOME TO HOLLYWOOD!!!",While Jessica Simpson Wonders "How Chicken of the Sea Be Tuna When The can Says Chicken?"Then The Warner Brothers Orchestra Plays The Closing Theme To Looney Tunes and Porky Pig Says "ThThThThat's All Folks!!".
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  OLIVER TWIST, THE GORILLA and THE HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.