Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:15:01 AM
714439 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Attack of the Direct-To-DVD Sequels! « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Attack of the Direct-To-DVD Sequels!  (Read 2521 times)
Foywonder
Bad Movie Lover

« on: February 05, 2006, 07:18:27 AM »

A sequel to the Eliza Dushku getting chased through the woods by inbred hillbilly psychopaths flick Wrong Turn has been discussed and dismissed off and on for quite some time now. I've never really understood why so many horror fans have been hankering (Yes, I just typed "hankering") for a sequel seeing as how the first film really wasn't anything special and didn't do very well at the box office. But in the world of DVD, nothing special and poor box office have rarely hinder a motion picture from making enough money to inspire risk management executives (formerly known as Hollywood producers) to get all creative by greenlighting a low budget, made-for-DVD sequel that's usually just a complete retread of the original film only cheaper and with less famous stars. For those of you that have been wanting a cheap, direct-to-DVD Wrong Turn sequel, good news, Fox is about to grant your wish. According to the site Video Business Online, Wrong Turn 2 is officially a-go and will be hitting DVD shelves anytime between this fall and God knows when, most likely next year.

But Wrong Turn 2 isn't coming alone. Fox has decided to cash in on some semi-successful properties of theirs by unrolling a whole slate of cost effective (roughly $4 million budget each) made-for-DVD sequels.

Up first on April 24 is Dr. Dolittle 3, which reunites original cast members Kyla Pratt and Kristen Wilson (Who?). Norm MacDonald is a returning voice (Whoopee!). Danny Bonaduce and Gary Busey are among new voices featured in the talking animal family film. The disc will be priced at $26.98. Eddie Murphy will not be involved which alone should instantly knock the price down at least $10 dollars.

Coming in June, the ***SARCASM ALERT*** highly anticipated Like Mike 2. The cast will be entirely different from the first theatrical movie. Big Momma’s House star Jascha Washington plays the lead in Like Mike 2, which revisits the adventures of a kid finding magic basketball shoes. Wanna bet it ends up being the exact same film over again only more cheaply made and infinitely worse ala Wild Things 2.

Also coming this summer: Behind Enemy Lines 2. No Owen Wilson. No Gene Hackman. But you will get Peter Coyote and Keith David. The sequel centers around a North Korean nuclear conflict. I'm guessing either Coyote or David ends up getting trapped behind enemy lines.

Coming anytime between this fall and next year will be the previously mentioned Wrong Turn 2 ($10 says Robin Dunne is one of the stars), The Sandlot 3, and a sequel to the 20+ year old comedy Bachelor Party. I'm fairly certain Tom Hanks will not be returning; Adrian Zmed on the other hand...

And those are just the ones coming from Fox. Also in the works:

Two sequels to Walking Tall, and the most ironic thing of all is the plot for the DVD sequel: An ex-wrestler whose wife wants him to settle down moves to his home town in Tennessee where he plans to go into business with his father. When he discovers all sorts of corruption going on he sets out to become the new sheriff in order to clean up the town. Amazing, that's the plot to the original 1973 WALKING TALL which was based on the life of the real life Buford Pusser, almost all of which outside of the basic concept was completely scuttled for the lousy 2004 remake starring The Rock. Ex-Hercules Kevin Sorbo was originally slated to star but dropped out. If history repeats itself from the last time Sorbo bowed out of a mediocre action film then Patrick Swayze will star.

Hollow Man 2 which will reportedly star Christian Slater. I guess he didn't learn his lesson with Alone in the Dark.

Another name-only sequel to Bring It On

House Party 5

I'll Always Know What You Did Last Summer

Save The Last Dance 2

Beethoven's 6th

The Butterfly Effect 2 - Same plot, different characters.

The Cutting Edge 2: Going For The Gold[/URL] hits DVD racks on Tuesday.

Roadhouse 2: Last Call - The sequel will fix on a college graduate who takes over his uncle's bar - slick reward for several years of education, as usual - but butts heads with a local crime boss who wants to take the drinking hole over. Christina Applegate's soon to be ex-husband Jonathan Schaech stars.

Wargames 2: The Deadliest Key - Teenage computer-whiz Cory Carpenter is on a class trip in Europe when the authorities wrongly mistake him for a cyber criminal. Now, Carpenter's on the run, but thanks to his beautiful classmate Anne and his nerdy best mate Dale Darrow, manages to stay one step ahead of the law. This sounds more like a sequel to The Net than to Wargames. Speaking of which...

The Net 2.0 also comes out this Tuesday. The fact that the film is set in Istanbul should speak volumes of how cheaply made this one is.

Undisputed 2 with Michael Jai White as former Heavyweight Champ George "Iceman" Chambers who finds himself in jail on trumped up charges. Oh, it's a Russian jail because the cheapo sequel was shot in Bulgaria. Chambers soon discovers that the Mafia controls the jail and... I'm sure you can fill in the rest of the blanks.

The Prince & Me 2 which is apparently a sequel to a Julia Stiles comedy I don't even remember.

Creepshow 3 from the makers of liked by absolutely no one Day of the Dead 2: Contagium

American Psycho 3 comes later this year

Inspector Gadget's Biggest Caper Ever starring Bernie Mac? Yes, Bernie Mac!

FX 3 brings back Brian Dennehy but replaces Bryan Brown with (Ugh!) Scott Caan.

Men in Black: Maury Island with Rip Torn back as the MIB honcho, Tommy Lee Jones nowhere to be found, and D.L. Hughley in the Will Smith role. I've found no evidence proving this one actually being made but it has been talked about. I know MIB 2 wasn't very good but did it really kill the franchise to the point of Sony making this?

And finally, a sequel to the Luke Perry bull riding flick 8 Seconds, which seems especially odd seeing as how the original was based on the true story of a real life cowboy who got gored to death. I guess the sequel will have him coming back from the grave to see revenge on the bull that killed him or something like that.

Now keep in mind that this list doesn't even include the unlimited number of Disney sequels and I'm sure there are even more being discussed that will magically appear on DVD shelves leaving us perplexed in much the same way most of us reacted upon first seeing the box for 8mm 2.

NOW SHOWING IN FOYEURISM:
GOLDEN BAT - Feast your eyes on the wildest, wackiest, funkiest, Chiba-est Japanese superhero movie you've probably never heard of
B-WARE THE BLOG! - My blog devoted to the schlocktastic!
dean
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2006, 08:50:30 AM »

There is no God...

Just looking at that list makes me shudder in fear at the mindset of those in charge.

I mean, I went on a direct to dvd/video binge a while back in which I set out to watch the crappy sequels to 'ok' movies, those mainly in sets of three.  Brain still hurts bad...

Amongst them I plowed through the Skulls trilogy, the Cruel Intentions trilogy and the Wild Things Trilogy.

I'll go through the basic formula: Most of the time the plot of the first sequel reads as a basic repeat of the plot of the first one in the series [or in the case of Cruel Intentions 2, they just reverse the plot of the first one] and have a few different things happen.  For the next sequel they take all the 'cool' elements of the first two [such as hot sexy babes and insane yet still hot and sexy plot twists from Wild Things], and then just change the characters slightly so it can be a 'new story' but with a slightly different twist [in the case of Skulls III this was the added character plot change of the main being a girl instead of a guy.  Wow, so brilliant...]  So there you go: that's what you can basically expect.

All of which were terrible.  But I guess they must have done ok in sales to make it an easy profit.

[The first sequel to Bring it On was the extremely intelligent title of 'Bring It On: Again.' by the way]

There's always been a somewhat big business in direct to video films and I guess crappy sequels cashing in on the fame of other films must be the best way for unoriginal, talentless hacks to make some money and see some T&A, because let's face it; most of those sequels are to trashy films that aren't exactly known for their top notch story lines but for their sexy marketing [though one wonders where this sexy direction will go for Like Mike 2, which involves another severe shudder of fear just typing it!]

When I tell my loving girlfriend about Wrong Turn 2 I'm sure she will laugh and then start worrying: we went and saw this film [my idea] at the cinemas, and it took her a long while to forgive me for taking her to see such crap [though our recent expedition to see 'Rumour Has It' has more than evened the score...]

I wonder how many of these will star Robin Dunne the incredibly 'talented' lead of at least four direct to video sequels of good/average cinematic movies...

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
daveblackeye15

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2006, 12:06:16 PM »

Guh, too many sequels!

BTW there's a Bambi II coming out soon, or it's out now.

Disney no longer has soul.

Now it's time to sing the nation anthem IN AMERICA!!!

Bandit Keith from Yu-Gi-Oh the Abridged Series (episode 12)
Foywonder
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2006, 04:39:50 PM »

As I said, I didn't include all the Disney ones because then the list would have been three times as long.

NOW SHOWING IN FOYEURISM:
GOLDEN BAT - Feast your eyes on the wildest, wackiest, funkiest, Chiba-est Japanese superhero movie you've probably never heard of
B-WARE THE BLOG! - My blog devoted to the schlocktastic!
daveblackeye15

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2006, 05:16:06 PM »

Oh, I missed that last line.

Now it's time to sing the nation anthem IN AMERICA!!!

Bandit Keith from Yu-Gi-Oh the Abridged Series (episode 12)
BTM

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2006, 08:41:24 PM »

Wow... I REALLY hope you're just kidding about some of these... please tell me you're making some of this stuff up.. please?

> House Party 5

Part Five?  I'm still trying to figure out how part one left anything to be desired....

> I'll Always Know What You Did Last Summer

No, no, no, noooo!

> Save The Last Dance 2

They'll get creative on this one and change the genders of the main character.  Or, ooh, ooh, they'll make it like a Latina guy and instead of a black one...

> 3, and a sequel to the 20+ year old comedy
> Bachelor Party. I'm fairly certain Tom Hanks will
> not be returning; Adrian Zmed on the other
> hand...

DEAR GOD!  Is there ANY movie they're NOT going to make a sequel to??  Remakes are bad enough, but does Hollywood need to keep digging in the grave of older films?

> Hollow Man 2 which will reportedly star Christian
> Slater. I guess he didn't learn his lesson with
> Alone in the Dark.

That guy still has a career?

I'd say some more, but my head is hurting bad enough...

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2006, 08:28:56 AM »

This weekend on SciFi "House of the Dead 2", the sequel to Uwe Boll's epic premiers.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
odinn7

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2006, 09:51:37 AM »

"This weekend on SciFi "House of the Dead 2", the sequel to Uwe Boll's epic premiers."

I'm so there. Now, if I can just stay awake.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
LH-C
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2006, 05:06:02 PM »

Yet, Final Destination 3 is going to be playing in the theaters.

raj

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2006, 06:10:50 PM »

Men in Black: Maury Island

That just makes me think of promising young actresses who quickly go from "up and coming" to starring in skinemax flicks.

MIB II was not that bad, more like a "meh."
The premise actually could work well with a series of low budget movies.
nshumate
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2006, 08:33:02 AM »

Wargames 2: The Deadliest Key - Teenage computer-whiz Cory Carpenter is on a class trip in Europe when the authorities wrongly mistake him for a cyber criminal. Now, Carpenter's on the run, but thanks to his beautiful classmate Anne and his nerdy best mate Dale Darrow, manages to stay one step ahead of the law.

Wrong.  Wrong in nearly unhead-of proportions.

Nathan Shumate
Cold Fusion Video Reviews
Sci-fi, Horror, and General Whoopass
Just Plain Horse
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2006, 04:46:04 PM »

I didn't take the time to read all the responses, so pardon if I am repeating a comment already amply stated, but...

WHO IN THE HELL IS GOING TO WATCH ANY OF THESE SEQUELS???

Even for DVD's, I'm inclined to think such is a waste...
BeyondTheGrave

Punks not Ded sez Rich

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2006, 09:10:27 PM »

Just Plain Horse Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I didn't take the time to read all the responses,
> so pardon if I am repeating a comment already
> amply stated, but...
>
> WHO IN THE HELL IS GOING TO WATCH ANY OF THESE
> SEQUELS???
>
> Even for DVD's, I'm inclined to think such is a
> waste...

Well this is a B-movie site so I think most of us will be seeing some of them.

Most of all I hate dancing then work,exercise,people,stupidpeople

BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2006, 10:52:28 AM »

The one that I hoped would get a theatrical release was "Creepshow 3." Because as I understood it, it was not so much a remake as a continuation of the first two, featuring five new stories.

As for, what I'll call "Inspector Gadget 3." They must be going for name recognition alone. As that is three different actors in the three films, and  Bernie Mac looks nothing like Matthew Broderick.
At least in "Inspector Gadget 2," they tried to get someone who looked similiar to Matthew Broderick, even if it wasn't Matthew Broderick.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Attack of the Direct-To-DVD Sequels! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.