Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:06:58 PM
714481 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7743 Members
Latest Member: medikam
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  OT: Songs that'll never get airplay: Radiohead's "No Surprises" « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: OT: Songs that'll never get airplay: Radiohead's "No Surprises"  (Read 1236 times)
Just Plain Horse
Bad Movie Lover

« on: February 10, 2006, 11:23:50 AM »

Every once in a while I get the urge to speak about the things that are purposefully ignored by the generalized media... and while I know satellite radio is available- for those who feel like buying their way out of the wasteland convention radio has become- I am unwilling to run away from the it and embrace what Howard stern tells me is the promised land.

To that end, and judging from the response I got on my previous article (AMC who? I'm kidding.) I felt inspired after revisiting a few old Radiohead CDs to comment on how- to the best of my admittedly limited knoweledge- that despite the numerous good/ great/ excellent songs this band has been releasing for some time, "Creep" is still the only one you'll ever hear on the radio. I couldn't help but think anyone "in charge" listening to even a few of their other songs would decide even something as inoccuous, almost pseudo-cutesy as "No Surprises" is just too controversial to get airplay.

"No alarms and no suprises"

Rappers crudely referring to women's body parts hurts no corporations, endangers no political agendas, harms no theocracies. Hearing an ex-American Idol member's bad recordings puts no extremely militant conserative in jeopardy, no Ivy League presidental flunkee in fear for his career.

"No alarms and no surprises, please."

Dumb it down, right into the ground. Dig out old Cheech & Chong albums at Christmas. Let Madonna remake "American Pie", boo the Dixie Chicks until they relent...

"No alarms and no surprises no alarms and no surprises, please."
odinn7
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2006, 12:24:30 PM »

Uhh...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
Just Plain Horse
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2006, 12:53:25 PM »

I did say it was off topic...
odinn7

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2006, 01:08:36 PM »

I know you did.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
Vermin Boy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2006, 02:00:21 PM »

Honestly, I doubt that song's lack of airplay has as much to do with its content as with how the music industry works. Off any given album, the distributors usually pick one to three songs as singles for radio stations to add to their playlists. I might be wrong, but "No Surprises" probably just wasn't sent as a single, or at least not a leading one. It's still a pretty crappy state of affairs that borders on payola, but it has less to do with social conservatism than it does with corporate pansyism.

Also, "Creep" isn't the only Radiohead song on the radio-- "Karma Police" gets pretty steady airplay, at least around these parts, and I'm pretty sure I've heard "Subterranean Homesick Alien" and "Paranoid Android" more than a few times.

-Vermin Boy

My site: The Vermin Cave
My band: The Demons of Stupidity
?????: ?????
Just Plain Horse
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2006, 02:52:55 PM »

Good to know... I've heard musical snatches from "Paranoid Android" gracing various things, but that's all for me. I was curious to see what kind of a response I'd get with this one... Sometimes I just test people by posting random things that come to my mind, sort of as experimentation.
Fearless Freep

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2006, 05:58:20 PM »

Hey, very little of the music I listen to gets any airplay...

New Rush, new Yes, plus  lot of jazz and jazz-fusion., plus some Christian Prog-Rock

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
nobody
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2006, 07:29:17 PM »

None of the music I listen to gets airplay... at least not on terrestrial Arizona radio. And even if it did, I wouldn't listen to that station. I'd rather listen to a CD than hear the same three songs over and over and over again. Vermin Boy is right- the reason for the repetition on the radio is the fault of the music industry, not the radio stations.

"Television is an invention that permits you to be entertained in your living room by people you wouldn't have in your home."  
(David Frost)
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  OT: Songs that'll never get airplay: Radiohead's "No Surprises" « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.