Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:52:37 AM
714463 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Best Don Knotts movie ever made.... « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Best Don Knotts movie ever made....  (Read 2114 times)
pops_mcfly
Dedicated Viewer

« on: January 20, 2006, 12:35:47 PM »

IMHO without a doubt it would be "The Ghost And Mr. Chicken" followed closely by "The Reluctant Astronaut" both are a riot and I've always preferred his family films than his "adult only" type of movies like the one where he owns a nudie magazine--blech!

God, why did some moron decide to ruin the Dukes Of Hazard with Jessica Simspon as Daisy? Yeaaaaauuurrrgggghhh--the HORROR!
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2006, 01:13:11 PM »

I would probably agree with The Ghost and Mr. Chicken, and add The Incredible Mr. Limpet as a close second. And No Time for Seargents is also a lot of fun.

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
raj

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2006, 03:32:36 PM »

Not to mention "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World" and the Apple Dumpling Gang movies from my youth.
What's funny is that in the 60s-70s hippies loved Don Knotts, yet his humor was apolitical and very clean.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2006, 03:36:14 PM »

I agree with "The Ghost and Mr. Chicken." My favorite of the haunted house comedies next to "The Ghost Breakers."

He also did a number of films with Tim Conway. Probably the best of those is "The Apple Dumpling Gang," which spawned a sequel called "The Apple Dumpling Gang Rides Again."

And while he only had a small part in "It's a Mad,  Mad, Mad, Mad World, it was a memorable one. As the nervous motorist, who picks up Phil Silvers.
Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2006, 04:44:12 PM »

Well, you all named the ones that I saw and of course there are his TV shows Andy Griffin and Threes Company.

Next to Woody Allen I would pick Don Knotts to play me in a movie as mentioned in recent post.

Tim Conway and Harvey Corman were also funny from the Carol Bernett Show.

peter johnson

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2006, 02:01:00 AM »

I have a soft spot for "Limpet", though I do love "Mr. Chicken" too, especially the end when the organ starts to play by itself:  "Whoa!!  There was a real ghost after all!!".
"Incredible Mr. Limpet" was a book originally written during WW2, and was a shameless piece of wartime propaganda -- One thing that the book had that the film didn't was Hitler himself coming out on a rubber raft to plead the case of Naziism to the fish.  The Nazis in the book were much more real/more evil and not at all cartoony.  I find it amazing that someone had the idea, "Hey, this dated piece of wartime memorabilia/surrealia would make a great Don Knotts movie!!"  
And some say Hollywood has no creativity . . .
peter johnson/denny crane

I have no idea what this means.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2006, 07:36:40 AM »

Coincidentally, I just bought the Don Knotts "Reluctant Hero" collection, and I'm trying to find the time to watch them. Always loved his movies as a kid. My favourite at the time had to be the Reluctant Astronaut, although it's been years since I've had a chance to see them all.

The pack I bought has The Reluctant Astronaut, The Ghost and Mr. Chicken (my Mom's favourite, if I recall correctly), The Shakiest Gun in the West, and The Love God. I remember The Love God being pretty funny, with Knotts being turned into a Hugh Hefner type when he takes on some partners to save his birdwatching magazine. Looking forward to watching these with my wife, who has seen none of them. Ooops, I just remembered, we packed all the movies for moving -- doh!

Besides Knotts being funny, I always loved movies from the 60s, they had a certain look and feel to them that I liked. Perhaps it was because I grew up at a time when those movies were getting shown on TV a lot.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
The Conqueroo
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2006, 12:14:54 PM »

Actually "The Love God"is tame by today's standards.I mean the Magazine he found out that he was inadvertantly publishing would basically be the equivalent of "Maxim"or"FHM"or"Hooters"magazine!!A Litttle Trivias Question For You?In What 1958 Movie Will You Find The Future Andy Taylor;Barney Fife;Johnny Yuma the Rebel;Corporal  Max Klinger and Milburn Drysdale?Answer:"No Time For Sergeants"with Andy Griffith;Don Knotts;Nick Adams;Jamie Farr and Raymond Bailey.
raj

RIP
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2006, 06:27:25 PM »

Speaking of Don Knotts, he just died, at age 81.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060225/ap_en_tv/obit_knotts

Amazing that he did so much good work in tv and movies; that still holds up today.  I never saw The Love God? but I can't think of anything he did that would be PG-13 or worse.
The Conqueroo
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2006, 07:29:00 PM »

I Just Heard About That!!Don Knotts Made Me Laugh In One Form or Another in My 47 Years On Earth!!Whether It Was Barney Fife or Mister Furley,Plus Movies As Varied As "No Time For Sergeants"and "The Ghost and Mr.Chicken"to "Pleasantville",Just His Bug Eyes and Shrill Voice Could Reduce The Biggest Sourpuss on Earth To Laughter!!So Long Don,We'll Miss You!!
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Best Don Knotts movie ever made.... « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.