Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:27:20 PM
714454 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  the legend of the 7 golden vampires « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: the legend of the 7 golden vampires  (Read 2442 times)
ToyMan
Bad Movie Lover

« on: February 21, 2006, 09:22:04 PM »

just picked this up last night.

not so bad. not everything i imagined it might be, either.

if you're coming at this film, having seen "mr vampire", "vampire vs vampire", or "a chinese ghost story", you're likely to be underwhelmed. if you're coming at this from a "horror express", "the satanic rites of dracula" standpoint, you'll probably also feel missed.

however, if you can put everything you might suppose about the film, you'll probably enjoy it. there's a lot of very atmospheric and over-wrought lighting, in a sort of good, "dario argento" sort of way.

also, for you sleaze fans, there are plenty of naked asian lady teats to be seen.

Menard
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2006, 11:06:18 PM »

I am about middle of the fence on this one as well.

I had read some reviews about this Shaw Brothers/Hammer Studios co-production which raved about the film; I at least hope they got paid for those reviews.

It does have its action moments, as would be expected from a Shaw Brothers film, but it is lacking in its Hammer influence, despite the inclusion of Hammer regulars Peter Cushing and Julie Ege.

Cushing is again playing Van Helsing on the trail of Dracula, yet again, this time, however, in the company of 7 brothers and a sister who are expert martial artists (hmm...I wonder if the musical version could be called 7 Vampires for 7 Brothers)

Dracula has taken a sideline to his usual tricks and has possessed the body of a Chinese warlord to resurrect 7 vampires.

Where Hammer Dracula films have succeeded before, as in many good horror films of the past, is our protagonist having to fight a force which is more powerful than them and overcoming it. In Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires, despite a good number of deaths along the way, this is a relative cakewalk for Van Helsing, who usually steps aside when a fight begins. The addition of a son for Van Helsing, who is a literal clutz, does not help the story.

Mandatory fight scenes are to be expected, and are delivered, whether they make sense or not; such as an ambush in the middle of a field (I wonder how long guys really would crouch down behind field grass only to rise and announce themselves before they attack).

What this film does have is entertainment in its martial arts scenes. It unfortunately tries to marry another film style with it and does not succeed where it is not a martial arts film.

There are several cuts of this film, so one could feasibly be a little better than another; though the core elements of the film which make or break it would still be there.

Scott
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2006, 11:35:50 PM »

It's the neat combination of genres here that draws us to this one. Though it isn't that great a film it is still worth a good look. Nice recap of the film Menard. The film is a must see for all Hammer and Kung Fu fans. It's an oddity for sure.

Neville

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2006, 05:38:19 AM »

I rather enjoyed it when I was younger.

Hammer-style prologue? Check

Peter Cushing? Check

Martial arts? Check

Zombies? Check

Naked Asian girls tied to a giant squeezer? Check

Peter Cushing doing action scenes? Check

Not among the best Hammer films, no doubt, but still lots of fun.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
ToyMan
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2006, 02:07:52 PM »

the anchor bay disc (which came boxed with "frankenstein created woman") has a flipside, with the supposedly horrible american cut "seven brothers meet dracula" on it. maybe if i watch that version, the original cut won't seem as bad?

Dr. Whom

Cthulhu for president! Why choose the lesser evil?

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2006, 02:51:23 PM »

Hmm

This one is difficult. As a concept, it was 20 years ahead of its time. As a movie, it has its weaknesses. For a start Dracula himself is less than impressive (though his 'I am Dracula, I help no one, Die! is pretty good) For seconds, it is very much two movies, with Hammer scenes alternating with Shaw brothers Kung Fu. Still, it is good fun. Perhaps not a must see, but worth the effort.

"Once you get past a certain threshold, everyone's problems are the same: fortifying your island and hiding the heat signature from your fusion reactor."

Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer? Ja! ... Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2006, 05:17:13 PM »

I have this on a double DVD.  It has LEGEND OF THE 7 GOLDEN VAMPIRES and THE 7 BROTHERS MEET DRACULA (2 different cuts of the same movie).

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
ToyMan
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2006, 05:32:58 PM »

the aforementioned anchor bay disc, i assume.

BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2006, 12:36:41 PM »

East meets West. Kung-fu meets horror. Like many such genera films, towards the end of their run, it tried to do something a lifftle different. That's what I like about it. Besides the fact that Cushing plays Van Helsing, once more. What I don't like about the film, is that Dracula is not played by Christopher Lee, this time.
ToyMan
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2006, 09:12:55 PM »

i disliked the lack of hopping vampires, and that some of the 7 golden vampires died far too easily, and were not fully-developed characters. i'd point to the devils of kimon in the feature-length animation"ninja scroll" as an example of how a cadre of fiends could be better-characterized.

Neville

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2006, 03:40:38 AM »

I have to admit ToyMan is true about the vampires dying too easily, but since this is more a seven-samurai style movie than a gothic horror, they couldn't spent much time with the individual vampires. This also applies to their backgrounds.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
ToyMan
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2006, 05:17:10 PM »

they could have focused on the last three, or even the final golden vampire as a character.

Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2006, 02:07:26 AM »

It does seem thrown together at times, almost like a Reese's commecial.  "Hey, you got your kung-fu all over my Dracula!" to "Hey, you got your Dracula all over my kung-fu!"  I did enjoy the one battle in the middle of the field, which was offered up to establish the fighters' skills.  The fights against the vampires' minions were not nearly as interesting, even the grand battle at the end.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
ToyMan
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2006, 03:42:01 PM »

i sort of liked the last battle scene. i was surprised at how graphic some of the injuries were, especially the one where the hands get cut off.

by the way, i tried watching the american cut from side 2 last night, and it made my brain hurt.

Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2006, 11:57:44 PM »

Check out Andrew's review of LEGEND OF THE SEVEN GOLDEN VAMPIRES.

Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  the legend of the 7 golden vampires « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.