Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 11:24:25 PM
714501 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7744 Members
Latest Member: MichelFran
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  the best cult classic ever: basket case « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: the best cult classic ever: basket case  (Read 1592 times)
Pablo
« on: January 17, 2002, 11:47:26 AM »

When talking about Basket Case, Im referring not only to a movie but also to all the environment that surrounded it. Im talking about the New York of the late 70s, early 80s. Im talking about the end of a way of making b - horror movies, as I consider Basket Case as the last example of real "credible" low-budget cinema making. After this movie, it came all the Nightmares and Fridays you can imagine, rushing into a degradation that produced such crap as Scream or I Know What...
Therefore, I want to share, with people that really love b-horror movies, some comments on this really marvelous movie.
StatCat
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2002, 05:50:02 PM »

I wouldn't consider it the last example of "credible"  low budget horror film making (there are tons that pop into my head that came in the 80s and somewhat in the 90s) I don't think you could really compare basket case to a friday or nightmare film as they weren't for the most part low budget and really can't relate to basket case at all. I have the basket case dvd (SWV) and it is definitely worth it. It's oe of my favorites and I do like the sequel slightly (doesn't even compete with the original though), but the 3rd film is where it went to hell.
Trevor the Rat
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2002, 08:42:04 PM »

basket case was made too early in the decade to be one of the best of it's kind. i suggest you go beyond blockbust and check out some of the really good underated stuff that popped out of the 80s. basket case was great. the musical score, the setting, atmosphere, and belial himself were seriously eerie. thoughout the movie you went back in forth from seeing belial as a monster and as a person. one minute you see his hand reaching out of a grabage can for his brother which is pretty damn sad to him raping dwayne bradley's first love AFTER killing her. followed by two incredablly unfunny and s**tty sequals that were pretty much made for the sake of getting money for frankennhooker, another kick ass movie
Pablo
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2002, 09:51:33 AM »

First, thanks for replying. What I meant with credible low budget horro movie, was that Basket Case was the last movie to bring one an atmosphere and a culture of its own. This in the sense that Basket Case was not as obvious and predictible as the rest of the horror movies we saw in the 80s, when the subject of the super evil serial killer monster (Freddy, Jason) was overused. Basket Case also embraced the environment it was set on and used it the same way Taxi Driver did (although different genre, another late 70s NY movie). You had the feeling you were there, in that cheap hotel, surrounded by all those bumps and loosers. That just enhaced the beauty of the whole picture and propelled the feeling of deepness that Basket Case had. In my personal opinion, never before a movie did so much in such a wide spectrum (regarding culture and atmosphere) as the first Basket Case. The sequels sucked like hell, but it was because they wanted to catch-up with the way horror movies were in the mid and late 80s. Thats a probe of the greatness of the original movie.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  the best cult classic ever: basket case « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.