Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:50:50 AM
714392 Posts in 53096 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  OT: NES 20 Year Anniversary « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: OT: NES 20 Year Anniversary  (Read 5032 times)
Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« on: February 26, 2006, 05:50:37 AM »

It's hard to believe that the Nintendo Entertainment System is 20 years old!
I remember getting the full setup with Rob the robot and the light zapper for Christmas 1986.
I was the first out of all my friends to get one and they were always over at my house in our basement with me playing it.

Gamespot.com, is in my opinion THE BEST game website out there.
They recently put up a really cool & funny video that showcases the original NES.
The people at Gamespot talk about everything from the Game Glove, Nintendo Power Magazine, video game thumb, Metroid, Super Mario Bros. 3, The movie "The Wizard"(remember that one?), Contra and more!

This video brought back so many memories for me.
They really go in depth.

WATCH THE "FLASHBACK NES" VIDEO HERE

What do you think?
ToyMan
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2006, 03:43:37 PM »

i love the NES. i'd buy a console, but it's easier to emulate the stuff.

daveblackeye15

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2006, 04:36:01 PM »

"Are you a bad enough dude!?"

I always could never beat Nintendo games, only a few exceptions.

The two Nintendo Godzilla games were really the only games I truely put my heart into playing. I first spotted an advertistment for the Godzilla game in a magazine. It looked so cool! I was only about six or seven and already a huge Godzilla fan. The advertistment had Godzilla with King Ghidorah flying in the back ground (actual costumes not drawing) I don't if there were any other monsters in that advertistment but right away I went up to my parents and asked if I could have it. They said the dreaded words "Maybe when it's your birthday." Time seemed to go on slowly however my B-day came and shockingly I got the Godzilla game! And I'm sure I beat it when I was younger.

One fond memory I have was once when I was playing Godzilla two, a strategy game where you were the military and you had to fight Godzilla and other monsters. The first time I beat one of the scenarios I ran all over the house telling everyone I could that I had won, I was thinking about how everyone was cheering at the end of Terror of Mechagodzilla "HE MADE IT! HE MADE IT!!!"

And in Punch Out I could only beat Glass Joe. A few years later (about 14) I played it again and made it as high as Soda Popinski. And once again I've played it and I nearly defeated the scary Sandman.

Go NES!

Now it's time to sing the nation anthem IN AMERICA!!!

Bandit Keith from Yu-Gi-Oh the Abridged Series (episode 12)
ToyMan
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2006, 08:30:40 PM »

punchout has some funny timing secrets.

daveblackeye15

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2006, 10:40:18 PM »

Ugh and Mike Tyson (or Mr. Dream) is like a trying to fight a god.

One hit and you're on the floor!

Now it's time to sing the nation anthem IN AMERICA!!!

Bandit Keith from Yu-Gi-Oh the Abridged Series (episode 12)
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2006, 12:04:55 AM »

I've beat most of those games they talked about including Mike Tyson's Punch Out, Contra, and Dragon Warrior.

Tyson is pretty easy once you figure out his patterns.
Just Plain Horse
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2006, 10:57:21 AM »

daveblackeye15 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "Are you a bad enough dude!?"
>
>
> I always could never beat Nintendo games, only a
> few exceptions.
>
> The two Nintendo Godzilla games were really the
> only games I truely put my heart into playing. I
> first spotted an advertistment for the Godzilla
> game in a magazine. It looked so cool! I was only
> about six or seven and already a huge Godzilla
> fan. The advertistment had Godzilla with King
> Ghidorah flying in the back ground (actual
> costumes not drawing) I don't if there were any
> other monsters in that advertistment but right
> away I went up to my parents and asked if I could
> have it. They said the dreaded words "Maybe when
> it's your birthday." Time seemed to go on slowly
> however my B-day came and shockingly I got the
> Godzilla game! And I'm sure I beat it when I was
> younger.
>
> One fond memory I have was once when I was playing
> Godzilla two, a strategy game where you were the
> military and you had to fight Godzilla and other
> monsters. The first time I beat one of the
> scenarios I ran all over the house telling
> everyone I could that I had won, I was thinking
> about how everyone was cheering at the end of
> Terror of Mechagodzilla "HE MADE IT! HE MADE
> IT!!!"
>

I loved those Godzilla games. I used to use the code "Destroy All Monsters" (substituting the 0's for O's) and take on the entire monster army in the first round. Monsters like Gezora, Mogera and Baragon made for an oddball mix, but man was it fun! :)

I beat all of the Super Mario NES games, the original Legend of Zelda, and even the NES version of Rampage (god, was that a tedious event).

Neville

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2006, 03:52:09 PM »

I owned an Amstrad CPC and at that age (8) I just too byusy discobering the awful lot of arcade conversions available for that machine. I do like Nintendo's machines, but never particularly cared for the NES; whenever it was finally released in my country it was already the late 80s, and very soon afterwards the Genesis / Super NES were widely available.

What I didn't like of the NES is how crude the color palette was. The colors were so pale it almost felt like watching an Eastern Europe cartoon. This, however, didn't plague the later Nintendo systems. I have fond memories of the GameBoy I bought more or less at that time, and of the games I bought, susch as Navy Seals or the Super Mario series.  

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Neville

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2006, 05:50:39 AM »

Hey people, wanna do something useful with your old Famicon stuff?

http://www.techeblog.com/index.php/tech-gadget/coolest-nes-mods-ever

Check this out.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
plan9superfan
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2006, 06:16:46 AM »

NES videogames based on movies:

-Gremlins 2: The New Batch

-The Goonies

-Back to the Future 3

-Terminator 2: Judgement Day

-A Nightmare on Elm Street

-Friday the 13th

-Jaws

-Platoon

-Tron

-Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

-Ghostbusters

-Batman

-The Little Mermaid

-Star Wars

-Total Recall

-Hudson Hawk

-The Blues Brothers

-Fist of the North Star

LH-C
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2006, 05:16:39 PM »

What's really funny and odd is that we never had an original NES. We didn't have a video game system between the time our Coleco Vision finally broke down around 1990-1991 (Yeah we had that thing for nearly 9 years!) to when the Playstation 1 was finally released. My brother bought the first series of PS1 that had problems playing some of the games, and was able to get a replacement from his warranty.

Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2006, 05:49:08 PM »

LH-C,

Thank you for calling it a Coleco Vision instead of a ColecoVision.  I'm a bit of a purist when it comes to video gaming, and I can't tell you how many times I've seen people call it a ColecoVision as if that was the model name.  Just one of those things that never fails to irk me.  Glad to know that someone else actually had respect and love for that machine.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
LH-C
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2006, 06:51:33 PM »

Prologue to my e-mail -

The first video games we had my dad bought from Radio Shack (I think). We had video black jack and some other really lame games. We played this crap all the time. This was in the days of home Pong systems. Oh and it was in B&W.

Skaboi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> LH-C,
>
> Thank you for calling it a Coleco Vision instead
> of a ColecoVision.  I'm a bit of a purist when it
> comes to video gaming, and I can't tell you how
> many times I've seen people call it a ColecoVision
> as if that was the model name.  Just one of those
> things that never fails to irk me.  Glad to know
> that someone else actually had respect and love
> for that machine.

Hell yeah I did! Of course I would go without playing it for six to eight months at a time. And I would hate it when my cousins would come over and hog it. (They eventually had their own, and some other cousins of ours had an Atari.) It was my game system! My dad bought it for me because I was just too young at the time (6 1/2 in 1982) to be at arcades. The first game I had for it was the Smurf video game. It was so fun! And of course we had Donkey Kong and quite a number of others. It was strange though to have a knockoff of another game - I'm talking about Ladybug by SEGA (I think it was). It was a knockoff of Pac Man. My all time favorite game for the Coleco Vision was Venture by SEGA. From what I remember it came out some years down the line after the game system was released. I was very good at this game, and it's one of the few games that I was actually very good at.

When NES came out, we were still playing with our Coleco Vision, but my brother was restless for an NES. Really I didn't care either way, although I did like any Mario Bros. games at that time.

As far as video games are today, I don't know. It's just so different now. The last video game I was really into was a PS1 game my mom bought me for Christmas 1996 called . I was really great at this game, and my brother ended up wrecking the disc.

Of course I still play Tetris on my phone. Who doesn't?  

Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2006, 07:00:16 PM »

See, I never had a Vision as a kid.  It came a bit before my time (I was born in '83), but I fell in love with it years later at a friend's house.  He bought one at a flea mall one day for a couple of bucks and it ran great.

I remember begging for a NES when I was a kid, and woke up one Christmas morning with an Atari 7800 under the tree.  It was the later Atari that they sold in the mid-80s as competition to the NES.  At the time, I was disappointed but now I realize I was damn lucky to get it.  I still have it hooked up and have well over 100 games for the system.  Still runs fine to this day.  

I eventually went on to pick up an Intellivision at a pawn shop for about 10 bucks and still play that on ocassion as well.  In addition, I still have my SNES, Gameboy, PS2, GameCube, and Dreamcast and all work well.  Even though I have these systems, I game more on my computer than anything.  I'm almost 23, married, have a child and am still in love with video games.  A bit sick isn't it?

Video games have changed quite a bit over the years, but I still find a lot of fun in them.  It is nice though to go back to the 8-bit graphics and simple gameplay.  

Just as a side note, if anyone has a functioning Atari Jaguar that they are looking to get rid of, then please please please let me know.  :)

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
LH-C
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2006, 07:13:15 PM »

Oh and there was that one computer game called 'The 7th Guest'. I loved playing that.

Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  OT: NES 20 Year Anniversary « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.