Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:36:39 PM
714500 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7744 Members
Latest Member: MichelFran
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  THE CREEPER (1978) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: THE CREEPER (1978)  (Read 2118 times)
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: April 15, 2006, 06:39:31 PM »

This movie is included in the recently released DRIVE-IN MOVIE CLASSICS 50 MOVIE PACK.

This movie was released under at least 2 different titles:  THE CREEPER and RITUALS.  I believe that somewhere along the line it was also released as SEE NO EVIL (or something like that . . . not to be confused with the Mia Farrow movie of the same name or the George Kennedy movie DELIVER US FROM EVIL).

The movie involves a group of doctors (including Hal Holbrook) on a camping trip.  After about one day in the wilderness, someone steals their boots.  Only one guy was smart enough to bring an extra pair of shoes, so he decides to hike through the forest to get help.

Much of the movie involves the doctors having stupid "philosophical" discussions while they wonder who the hell stole their boots . . . and why.  Eventually, they get attacked by bees, one guy steps in a bear trap, one guy gets his head cut off and stuck on the end of a pole, etc.  But whatever is lurking in the forest stays well-hidden.

The major problem with this movie (and there are several problems, but this is the MAJOR one) is that the movie never decides whether it wants to be an adventure movie, a horror movie or a drama.  It ends up being an unsatisfying combination of all 3.  Sort of like a mixture of DELIVERANCE, FRIDAY THE 13TH and a male bonding film.

The most irritating scene occurs near the end.  It involves Holbrook and one of his doctor buddies shouting back and forth at each other through the forest.  The sound of their voices and the fact that they are both screaming at each other at the same time is like listening to someone scrape their fingernails on a chalk board.

This movie rambles on for abouit 90 minutes, but never seems to get anywhere.  I suggest that you stay far away from it.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Menard
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2006, 10:06:33 PM »

Thank you for reminding me of this film.

It has been years since I have seen it, and yes, it was at the drive-in.

I did not have the negative reaction which Burgo had. THE CREEPER certainly has its less than great parts which fall along the lines of ' well, we just couldn't think of anything better, so we improvised'.

I still enjoyed the film, even though the last 10 minutes or so was a bit of a head scratcher. You would hope they would explain some things, as they led up to the conclusion suggesting that something else was happening, and, instead, it just turns out to be a standard slasher plot, and not very conclusive at that (although, this film did preceed most of the glut of slasher films as it was a 1978 film).

Of course, what works most for me now is that any film which takes a group of doctors and offs them one-by-one, and in painful methods, is a winner in my book.
onionhead
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2006, 02:28:30 AM »

Ah, Mr Menard, I am in your boat here.  I remember seeing this often on HBO in its infancy, and scratch my head I did at the final scene.  I recall really liking this thing, however, this Canadian Deliverance knock-off-kinda that is part slasher, part survivalist film.  It is edgy, desperate, creepy.  I'm wondering if it has been released on DVD by itself.

Some people like cupcakes better--I for one care less for them
plan9superfan
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2006, 05:02:27 AM »

Jeepers creepers, where you'd get those peepers, creeper? Where you'd get those eyes?...
LH-C
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2006, 10:08:26 AM »

Which cut of the movie is it? I've heard that the cut that's available in the States is something like 10 to 15 minutes shorter than the Canadian/European cut!

The Burgomaster

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2006, 12:13:33 PM »

It runs about 90 minutes.  I'm not sure if this is the full-length version, but I don't think I could have remained interested for another 10 or 15 minutes anyway.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
LH-C
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2006, 03:03:43 PM »

I've read (but I don't actually know for myself if it's true or not) that the full version is a million times better than the edited.

The Burgomaster

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2006, 04:34:45 PM »

LH-C:

I find it hard to believe that an extra 10 - 15 minutes could make this movie a million times better.  (Unless they inserted 10 - 15 minutes from CITIZEN KANE or CASABLANCA).

The Burgomaster

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2006, 09:45:04 AM »

LH-C:

By the way, please don't confuse this movie with Dario Argento's CREEPERS, a movie that runs less than 90 minutes.  There is a longer version (it runs about 2 hours, I think) of Argento's CREEPERS that goes by the title PHENOMENA.  I have both versions on DVD and there is a HUGE difference between the two cuts of the film.  The longer version is a million times better than the edited version.

CREEPERS and PHENOMENA are in no way related to THE CREEPER, which is the subject of this thread.

LH-C
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2006, 10:16:13 AM »

Burgo - I know that you weren't talking about 'Phenomena'. I have that movie on DVD. I really was refering to 'Rituals', which I really have read there is a longer version of that is superior to the edited version that's available here in the States.

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  THE CREEPER (1978) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.