Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:06:06 AM
714393 Posts in 53096 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Movies that are just too long. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Movies that are just too long.  (Read 12057 times)
akiratubo
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: April 16, 2006, 11:17:28 PM »

The '05 King Kong is a great movie, it's just too damn long.  I got the DVD today so ...

Gonna rip it to my computer and edit out that 90 minutes or so of unnecessary footage. :)

(I'm not going to sell it to anyone or make it available for download, so please don't sue me if you work for Peter Jackson.  This is just for my own amusement.)

What movies would you like to take the axe to in order to improve them?

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
Jim H

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2006, 12:30:23 AM »

Ninja Death 1, 2 and 3.  I've got a plan to edit them down into arounda 2 hour movie, combined otherwise it runs 4.5 hours or so.  Lots of dead weight, but it could be great.
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2006, 01:02:50 AM »

I didn't think King Kong was long at all.
It moves at such a fast pace that I didn't realize that I was already an hour into it while watching it.
King would have sucked if it had been shorter.

You want a really long movie that feels like a really long movie?

The Last Emperor
akiratubo

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2006, 03:33:00 AM »

ASHTHECAT Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I didn't think King Kong was long at all.
> It moves at such a fast pace that I didn't realize
> that I was already an hour into it while watching
> it.
> King would have sucked if it had been shorter.
>
> You want a really long movie that feels like a
> really long movie?
>
> The Last Emperor

What I'll cut out is mainly in the voyage to Skull Island.  We didn't need to see it in the '33 version, we don't need to see it now.

I will agree with you that The Last Emperor feels even longer than it really is.  And it isn't short.

odinn7

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2006, 07:05:19 AM »

Gigli...it was about 90 minutes too long.

Titanic...I was forced to watch this bloated crap years ago and recall wishing that I had the balls to pull my eyeballs out so I didn't have to endure it anymore.

I will catch hell for this I am sure but...all LOTR movies...I just can't stay awake for them...they bore me.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
Ash

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2006, 07:17:37 AM »

odinn7 Wrote:
I will catch hell for this I am sure but...all
> LOTR movies...I just can't stay awake for
> them...they bore me.

I gotta agree with odinn on the LOTR bit.
I want to get into them...I really do.
But they do bore the s**t outta me!

So ok, a few great scenes are in each.
It's all the in between crap (any scene with Frodo & Sam) that puts me to sleep.

Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2006, 07:18:44 AM »

odinn7 Wrote:

>
> I will catch hell for this I am sure but...all
> LOTR movies...I just can't stay awake for
> them...they bore me.
>

I'm with you on that.  Although I'm a bit fond of the LOTR films, it's all I can do to stay awake while watching one.

Akira,

As for ripping King Kong, be ready for some bad sector protecion on that disc.  I recommend using "AnyDVD" if you aren't already.  :)

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2006, 07:39:37 AM »

You guys aren't in LOTR or you could easily sit through them. There are actually whole subplots left out of them.  Not a single bit of them is boring, you guys aren't into it or something like that.

As far as King Kong, the trip was necessary for the story Jackson was telling. I do believe there were about 20 minutes on the island that could've been whacked without affecting anything.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
akiratubo

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2006, 07:58:03 AM »

trek_geezer Wrote:
> You guys aren't in LOTR or you could easily sit
> through them. There are actually whole subplots
> left out of them.  Not a single bit of them is
> boring, you guys aren't into it or something like
> that.

Something like that.  I tried to read TFoTR a long time ago ... couldn't get into it.  The movies just felt too rushed while also being too long.  They skipped over all that silly plot and just gave us action scenes, most of which were people running around shaking swords and going "Ahhhhhhhh!"

> As far as King Kong, the trip was necessary for
> the story Jackson was telling. I do believe there
> were about 20 minutes on the island that could've
> been whacked without affecting anything.

The story he was telling isn't necessarily the story I wanted to see. ;)  Or, rather, it is but it's buried under a lot of other stuff and I need to dig it out.

Ash

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2006, 08:33:23 AM »

Concerning King Kong,
I could've cared less for any of the ship's crew except the captain.
(he was cool AND he saved their asses!)

Jackson spent time too much time focusing on the kleptomaniac kid that Hayes found in the cargo hold and their relationship.
I disliked both characters and felt that the screen time devoted to them were a waste.

plan9superfan
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2006, 08:46:08 AM »

"Moonwalker".

I think the opening segement, "Man in the MIrror", wasn't really necessary. I mean, it didn't have a story or MIchael doing anything cool, it was just him in a concert, singing. And that is not exactly one of his best songs.

I would also cut out the wole introduction in the "Smooth Criminal" segement, and just open it with Michael running from Mr. Big's henchmen.
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2006, 09:11:32 AM »

Five hideous words:  "The Trial of Billy Jack."

Deanzille, aka "Godzilla" (1998) is also padded all to heck.  I could have done without the "Jurassic Park" raptor scene ripoff with the baby Godzillas.  

Oh, and "Jungle Hell" could have cut out one or two scenes where Sabu beat up Kumar without losing anything.  I would not cut any elephant footage out of that one though, it really makes the film.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
plan9superfan
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2006, 09:45:42 AM »

Man, your review of "Jungle Hell" made me p**s my pants with laughter.

"I know what he's poiinting at: STOCK ELEPHANT FOOTAGE!"
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2006, 10:19:40 AM »

David Lynch's DUNE comes to mind.  Of course, I probably would have hated that movie even if it had been cut down to 88 minutes.

Ang Lee's HULK would be better (but still disappointing) if they chopped about 15 - 20 minutes out of it.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
dean

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2006, 11:26:40 AM »

On another note, what about films that sorely lack some parts, despite being a full length film?  Or even a shorter film that could have done with a bit of extra time?  Or maybe you were just really enjoying the film, and was so into it that you were dissappointed it ended so quickly, despite having, say a two hour running time [Scarface, I'm looking at you here...]  

From what I've heard, Daredevil is [marginally] better in the extended director's cut version of the film.

First thing that comes to mind is the Anime short film 'Blood: the Last Vampire.'  I bought it on a whim, and sat down to watch it only to have the movie end 45 minutes into it [I didn't pay attention to the running time.]  It basically ended the film right when I was starting to get into it, and I felt there was a whole half missing from the movie.  The half that was there though was pretty good.

Also I agree on the [new] King Kong call, though I'm not complaining by any means [I just enjoyed it, even though the Skull Island plot went on for quite a while too long.]

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Movies that are just too long. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.