Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:52:37 PM
714462 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  OT: Philips patents device that forces you to watch commercials « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: OT: Philips patents device that forces you to watch commercials  (Read 4281 times)
Scott
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2006, 07:30:34 AM »

This is terrible. I think I see enough commericials unintentionally. Now you won't even be able to turn the channel. It's one step to far. Even when you turn to another channel they usually have all the commercials timed anyway for the same moment on all the channels.

ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2006, 08:03:48 AM »

On a related note, I've noticed Saturday programming here locally has been completely overwhelmed with infomercials.  I let my daughter watch Animal Atlas on Saturdays (which they move too often, btw) and this past Saturday, afterward I left the TV on waiting for my wife to get home from work.  All four major networks had infomercials at the same time.

I find it aggravating when they all have college sports on at the same time, but 1000% more aggravating when all are showing New Deals at Bob's Used Car Mart or Manage Your Debt with Diet Pills Now.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Jim H

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2006, 11:21:15 PM »

"Sooner or later, it will be illegal to not own a TV, on the premise that it will increase national security (gotta have quick alerts in case of terror, you know). Then it will be illegal to turn off your mandatory TV for the same reason."

The day that happens is the day I start stockpiling explosives for "personal use".
Jim H

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2006, 11:25:01 PM »

This whole thing reminds me of one of the few times the public outrage really mattered.  Does anyone remember when they started putting adds on the bases in pro ball?  People were so outraged they were gone in like a day.  

It seems like, even though they've gone through babysteps by increasing the amount of ads we see, there are some lines the public won't let them cross.  Not many, but some.  Nice to know, I guess.

Personally, I watch very little TV these days anyway.  Occasional reruns on the Game Show network and the occasional documentary on the History Channel cover most of it, plus the movie channels (which don't have ads I have to watch anyway, outside of in-movie promotion).
ulthar

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2006, 12:25:42 AM »

Jim H Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The day that happens is the day I start
> stockpiling explosives for "personal use".

If you wait until that day to START, you've waited too long.  ;)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--Real Genius
ulthar

« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2006, 12:49:26 AM »

We were watching "Numbers" tonight and one of the FBI agents said to the other something like "I will Nextel you with the information when I get it."  (That's not what she said, but the Nextel part was there in that context).

I groaned, looked at my wife and said, "did she REALLY just say that?"  Forget using a brand name as a verb and the blatant, very forced product placement, but it really is getting to where the TV shows themselves are ads and not just vehicles to get you to watch the ads.

I sure hope somebody somewhere gets an earful about that (though I won't hold my breath).  Dis-gusting.

--Real Genius
dean

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2006, 06:05:22 AM »

Product placement is all over the big shows [well most of them anyways] from a shot lingering a little too long on a certain object, to everyone in a 'family' owning a lexus despite the family themselves not having any money, or just making a big deal out of a certian product, like that Nextel comment, being somehow crucial to the story or some crap.

Reality TV for the most part is just a walking, talking ad, really, and on top of thatt it's all very very annoying.

And yes, whilst there are certain lines that shouldn't be crossed, us as consumers tend to have a lot less power in changing things for the most part [I tend to think we're too complacent when it comes to these things.]

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Jim H

« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2006, 05:06:42 PM »

"If you wait until that day to START, you've waited too long. "

By "That day", I meant "right this second".

;)
Flangepart

« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2006, 12:16:57 PM »

To quote Burt Gummer..."And they call me paranoid."

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
Just Plain Horse
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2006, 08:48:28 AM »

I always said television exists to sell products. If that goes, so does television... which is fine by me. :)
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  OT: Philips patents device that forces you to watch commercials « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.