Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:05:09 PM
714493 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7744 Members
Latest Member: MichelFran
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  CROSS OF IRON (1977) - Finally - - a high quality version on DVD! « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: CROSS OF IRON (1977) - Finally - - a high quality version on DVD!  (Read 5605 times)
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: April 20, 2006, 05:51:39 AM »

The folks at Hen's Tooth Video finally released a high-quality DVD of CROSS OF IRON.  I bought the version they released a few years ago and was very disappointed.  It was a full frame version and the quality was about the same as a VHS tape.

However, yesterday the newly released widescreen edition arrived in my mailbox.  What a difference.  The picture quality is much sharper than the old version and we finally get to see it in widescreen as Sam Peckinpah intended.

This is one of my favorite Peckinpah movies.  It's a tough, gritty World War II movie about German soldiers fighting on the Russian Front.

The cast is strong: James Coburn, Maximillian Schell, James Mason, David Warner, and Senta Berger.  

Peckinpah's smokey, muddy, bloody battlefield scenes are impressive.

If you have the old version, sell it or give it away and get yourself a copy of this new version.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2006, 07:02:54 AM »

Don't know why, but I keep mistaken CROSS OF IRON with WHERE EAGLES DARE. Wonder if I even saw CROSS OF IRON ? When I was a kid I must have seen every WWII movie ever made. Just can't recall what happens in your title Burgomaster.

The Burgomaster

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2006, 08:22:36 AM »

Scott:

CROSS OF IRON is about a wealthy, aristocratic German army captain (Maximillian Schell) who believes that he will be disgraced if he returns home to his family without being awarded the Iron Cross for heroic behavior in combat.  The problem is, he is a coward.  James Coburn (as Sgt. Steiner) has already been awarded the Iron Cross, but he doesn't think it's a big deal.  In fact, he hates the German army and everything it is fighting for.  So, Schell is jealous of (and threatened by) Steiner, yet he needs him because Steiner knows how to "earn" the Iron Cross.  Surrounding this human conflict are some pretty good battle scenes filmed in Peckinpah's trademark slow-motion, "ballet of mayhem" style.  The movie has a running time of 2 hours and 12 minutes, but it seems to pass very quickly.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Scott

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2006, 09:27:32 AM »

Thanks for the info. Still can't recall it. Guess I haven't viewed it yet.

Neville

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2006, 12:03:43 PM »

Then do it, it's a must see. Gotta love the ending:

SPOILERS

I SAID SPOILERS

I SAID SPOILERS, DAMNIT!!

"Steiner, I don't know how to reload!"

(Neville laughs)

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2006, 01:47:32 PM »

Peckinpah could do something besides westerns, and this is the proof.

There was a scene in the original theatrical release that initially got the film a X-rating, and the film was re-rated a R, only after the scene was cut from the film, and what I would like to know is whether the scene has been put back in the film for the dvd release. And the scene goes something like this . . .

The German army retreats in face of the Russian army, but to make the Russians believe that the Germans are still there, some Germans are left behind as a decoy. These being Sgt. Steiner's (Coburn's) platoon. Now these men have to make their way back through the entire Russian army to the new German lines. As they make their way back, they come across an unit of Russian women soldiers, who they capture. Steiner leaves one of his men as guard over the captured Russians. The man takes one of the women into another room and rapes her. Steiner comes back and catches the man in the act. He then locks the man up in a wardrobe and leaves him. When he and the rest of the Germans have left, clad in the uniforms of the Russian women, the women break the man out of the wardrobe and take their revenge on him by castrating him, before killing him.

Is this scene included in the dvd release of the film?

I also would also recommend, if one likes the film, of reading the novel upon which the film is based. "The Willing Flesh" by Willi Heinrich. I have also seen the novel as "The Iron Cross."
Neville

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2006, 01:57:38 PM »

(Yes, we have spoilers)

The detonant of the situation is not exactly the one you mention, but since it is one of the keys of the film's plot, I won't go into it.

However the scene concerning the Russian soldiers is exactly the one you describe, and the events you mention are also there, at least on the Zone 2 DVDs.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
The Burgomaster

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2006, 06:56:03 PM »

BoyScoutKevin:

This scene is in the DVD, but, not exactly as you have described it.

SPOILERS ABOUT THIS "CONTROVERSIAL" SCENE APPEAR BELOW!  WARNING! WARNING!

What happens is the soldier takes the woman into a secluded room and forces her to perform oral sex on him.  She ends up biting off his manhood and he starts screaming and then bashes her on the head with the butt of his rifle.  Steiner hears him screaming and rushes into the room.  The soldier is kneeling on the floor with his hands covering his blood soaked groin.  Steiner says "stupid" and walks out of the room.  He comes back moments later with the rest of the Russian women, looks one of them in the eye, and says "now we're even."  Then he leaves and closes the door behind him.  The women surround the castrated soldier and begin tearing at him and beating him.

Scott

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2006, 08:08:52 PM »

Hmmm, I don't think I saw this film.

The Burgomaster

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2006, 08:22:47 PM »

Scott:

You should put this movie very close to the top of your "war movies I need to see" list.  Just make sure you watch the newly released widescreen version and not the disappointing older full screen version.  Both versions were released by Hen's Tooth Video.  The cover of the superior widescreen version shows a German soldier face down on the ground with one hand reaching out toward an Iron Cross (see picture below).  The cover of the crappy full screen version shows a close up of James Coburn's face with a picture of a tank and three soldiers below it.

Scott

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2006, 09:16:15 PM »

I may have seen CROSS OF IRON if they (a few) are retreating during the Russian winter. Certainly didn't see the uncut version. It's now on my list near THE WAR WAGON which is another film that I would like to see again. I have a list of films I remember titles to, but very little of the actual happenings during the film. CROSS OF IRON might be one of  those films.

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  CROSS OF IRON (1977) - Finally - - a high quality version on DVD! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.