Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 08:18:33 AM
714518 Posts in 53098 Topics by 7744 Members
Latest Member: MichelFran
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The New View « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: The New View  (Read 4337 times)
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« on: April 20, 2006, 08:22:49 AM »

Thought I'd share the current view behind my house. You saw the winter view when we moved in.

The ice finally left yesterday, as temperatures hit the low 20s (low 70s for you Americans). The snow has been pretty much gone for a couple of weeks. Having never watched a lake thaw, it was interesting. It gradually melted back from the shore, and darkened as it got thinner, but progress appeared very gradual right up to the end. Over the last few days, it shrank more noticeably, and started to drift around more, but there was still a coating of ice over most of the lake. Then, in the space of a few hours, it just broke apart and was gone. It looked pretty solid, but I guess it had thinned right out to the point where it could just disappear.

Anyway, here's the current view. No leaves yet, but otherwise, it's quite pleasant outside. A nice change from a winter of icy roads, bitter cold and snow up to my ass. Can't wait to get my boat out there. And I'm committed to swimming by Victoria Day (about a week before the American Memorial Day), even if the water is still pretty cold by that time.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2006, 08:36:31 AM »

Looks nice!

Any fish in there?
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2006, 08:54:30 AM »

Still trying to get some idea of what people fish for in this lake. The Ministry of Natural Resources lists quite a few species, but from what I've heard, Pickerel is the big one. There were plenty of huts out on the ice from about January to March, so the fishing must be decent. Now, I believe most sport fish are out of season here until early summer. Got to let them spawn, I guess.

Which reminds me, I have to get a licence. I haven't had a hunting or fishing licence in years, since the ministry complicated the process. Never had much opportunity to fish anyway. I grew up in farm country, where there might be two rivers of any size nearby, and people pay to swim in flood control reservoirs where the conservation authority was nice enough to dump a couple of truckloads of sand on one side. There just weren't any natural bodies of water. I used to have to drive at least a couple of hours to find a real beach or a real lake.

About the only time I ever got anywhere near here (four hours from my hometown) was on vacation. That's the cool thing. I live in a place where people go on vacation.

Now that the weather is nice, the sights and sounds and smells are bringing back some old memories, and it's starting to feel like a vacation. I wonder how long that feeling will last.

---------------------
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2006, 09:22:29 AM »

Wah wah wah...snow this ice that.  At least you HAVE a winter!  :)

I miss winters.  Here it has already been in the 90's, and from about May - September, it will be very unusual to drop below mid-80's.  And it's humid - upwards of 95% RH on many days.

We are considering moving back to Colorado, so one day I hope to have a view to rival yours!

(Congrats, btw, that is an awesome spot).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2006, 09:25:55 AM »

Looks nice AndyC. You'll have to get a boat.

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2006, 09:37:14 AM »

Got a little 12-foot aluminum boat with an outboard motor. Kind of inherited it from my Dad when he stopped using it (he's more of a river fisherman). Just got a trailer hitch installed on the van this week, so I can go down and pick it up. Can't wait.

---------------------
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2006, 09:40:01 AM »

If you squint, I think you can see my house about 1,000 miles in the distance.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Scott

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2006, 09:46:20 AM »

I like those little hills in the background.

trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2006, 10:23:10 AM »

All I can say is, man that is one gorgeous view. You're a lucky man Andy.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2006, 11:06:11 AM »

I wonder if Nessie migrates up to that lake and spends his summers there?

ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2006, 11:56:44 AM »

AndyC Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just got a trailer hitch installed on
> the van this week, so I can go down and pick it
> up. Can't wait.
>

Ah yes, well, you know what they say:  The second happiest day in a man's life is the day he gets a boat.  The happiest is the day he sells it.

(Just kidding, I absolutely LOVE boats - have two right now).

B.O.A.T.:  Bring Out Another Thousand

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2006, 12:14:01 PM »

Well, it's really been my boat since the early 90s, although I had to leave it with my Dad when we moved. It was winter, we already had enough belongings to transport, and the new van had no hitch. Now that it's spring, the old man is almost as eager to get it out of his yard as I am to pick it up. Where it will go in my yard is a question that remains to be answered.

---------------------
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2006, 12:38:01 PM »

From what they tell me, it's not a very deep lake, so Nessie might have a hard time hiding. But, if he can swim the Atlantic and the St. Lawrence River, then hitch a ride up the highway to get here, I'm sure he can manage :)

Thinking of Scott's comment about the hills, that is one of the nice things about this part of Canada. The Canadian Shield is, geologically speaking, a very old part of the continent that was once (hundreds of millions of years ago) volcanically active. What little soil there is overlies well-worn granite that often shows through. Lots of lakes rocks and hills (eroded mountains really) and forest. The highways are blasted right through the granite, where necessary, so motorists periodically pass between jagged walls of pink and grey rock. It's really beautiful.

---------------------
Scott

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2006, 01:04:18 PM »

Even Nessie needs a vacation.

LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2006, 01:25:02 AM »

That reminds me; I need to get my ol' '74 riceburner cleaned up before it gets too hot.

It's been a few years since I did an ironbutt.

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The New View « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.