Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 11:22:06 AM
714526 Posts in 53098 Topics by 7744 Members
Latest Member: MichelFran
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Da Vinci Croaks « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Da Vinci Croaks  (Read 2844 times)
Inyarear
Bad Movie Lover

Slimo! Slimo! Slimo!

« on: May 18, 2006, 03:44:53 PM »

Well, well, well. In the tradition of "The Last Temptation" and "Saved!" the "Da Vinci Code" movie seems to be headed for failure. Not only are professional critics (who rarely know what they're talking about) panning this crap, but the audience (which usually knows much more than elitists about why it likes or doesn't like a film) is jeering it too. Wanna bet we'll be seeing a review of it on this site someday?
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2006, 06:49:28 AM »

Now there's a clearly unbiased opinion.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Mr_Vindictive
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2006, 07:21:46 AM »

I have no doubt that the film will make quite a bit of bank, but apparently it's not too good.  I have yet to read a glowing review of the film.  Most of the reviews so far have said the film is mediocre at best.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2006, 08:02:04 AM »

I've heard a little bit of the (negative, if there is such a thing) hype of this, but I find it hard to believe Tom Hanks would be in a movie that is mediocre at best.  Doesn't the presence of Tom Hanks usually MAKE a movie good?

Is this the one that he will be saying "yeah, I blew it that time"?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
ulthar

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2006, 08:10:26 AM »

How much of the negative hype is based on:

(1) Expectations based on the book's popularity.  A lot of people liked the the book, and found it 'interesting.'  SHOCKER: The movie is not as good as the book upon which it is based.

(2) Expectations bases on the popularity of The Passion of the Christ.  I think some in Hollywood thought 'the time was right' for ANY movie with a religious theme to be popular.

Is it really being judged on its merits, or is it being compared to source material and other recent 'successful' religious themed depictions.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--Real Genius
Neville

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2006, 08:13:17 AM »

I'm not a believer, and I really wouldn't mind watching a movie that attacks the Catholic Church, because I've never liked them, but chances are "The Da Vinci Code" won't be any good. I read the novel like one year ago and though it was pretty lame, with all those cardboard characters, cliffhangers every two pages (Mr. Brown, that is not suspenseful, it's annoying, get it?) and endless exposition scenes.

I had some faith that the movie would try to do things right, but form the reviews and opinions I've been reading these days it looks like they haven't.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Mr_Vindictive

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2006, 09:04:27 AM »

Ulthar,

Most of the reviews I have read have been by people who actually haven't read the book.  It doesn't seem to me that the reviewers are comparing it to the source material, as much as being just out right bored with the film.

I've not read the book, so I have no opinion either way on the film.  I'll probably skip it and wait until it hits cable a few years from now.  Like I said earlier though, it's going to be a hit despite what any critics say.  People love the book, and they'll be more than willing to sit through what might be a "meh" film just out of devotion to the source material.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
ulthar

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2006, 09:17:45 AM »

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing.  A bad review has never kept folks from going to a boring movie, has it?

--Real Genius
Neville

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2006, 09:28:29 AM »

With the adecuate dosis of poorreviews, controversy and idiots saying all the wrong things, everything can be a box office success. Except "Showgirls", which is the exception that proves the rule.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Just Plain Horse
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2006, 03:43:38 PM »

I'm waiting for the day they make The Da Vinci Crowed, where Jesus comes back from the dead as a goth punk mime who kills every person he comes in contact with in odd, yet darkly humorous ways. Remember, when the meek enherit the Earth, take it back by force.
Mr_Vindictive

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2006, 06:20:22 PM »

JPH,

I'd see that in an INSTANT!

Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2006, 06:50:56 PM »

"Jesus is back, and this time...ITS PERSONAL"
-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2006, 09:47:02 PM »

Just came back from DA VINCI CODE tonight. First I'd like to say that I believe you have to be into the subject to appreciate the movie. I mean they say things that are very offensive to "Christians" and also if you figure that most of the critics are probably following Cannes Film Festival lead by putting it down. Then you can understand those elements putting down the film.

It's not an art film as Ron Howard simply fills a functional role as director to put this story forward. Again you have to be into the subject to appreciate it. I'm not a big fan of Dan Brown who wrote the DA VINCI CODE as I read HOLY BLOOD, HOLY GRAIL many years ago, so I just never read the DA VINCI CODE for that reason and the fact that he is simply just rehashing the work of HOLY BLOOD, HOLY GRAIL in novel form.

For myself I thoroughly enjoyed the film DA VINCI CODE just as I liked similiar films like THE LAST TEMPTATION OF CHRIST and even NATIONAL TREASURE.

No matter if the legend or myth is true I like real historical mysteries. Like any news story or historic note it's a challenge to seek out the truth when the official version leaves reasonable doubt and that's not to say I lean one way or the other. It's simply that I enjoy a good mystery.

Perpetual doubters have always annoyed me and I have always liked to keep the alternate possibilities open.

DA VINCI CODE has my approval. The theater was sold out so the usher told us, but I saw some empty seats. The large crowd was good and you where able to listen to the film without much distraction.

Foywonder
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2006, 03:46:56 PM »

Inyarear Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well, well, well. In the tradition of "The Last
> Temptation" and "Saved!" the "Da Vinci Code" movie
> seems to be headed for failure. Not only are
> professional critics (who rarely know what they're
> talking about) panning this crap, but the audience
> (which usually knows much more than elitists about
> why it likes or doesn't like a film) is jeering it
> too. Wanna bet we'll be seeing a review of it on
> this site someday?

A $90 million opening weekend box office, international box office through the roof, nearly breaking records in heavily Catholic countries like Italy & Mexico, and reasonably good word of mouth from casual moviegoers thus far would seem to disagree with you.

NOW SHOWING IN FOYEURISM:
GOLDEN BAT - Feast your eyes on the wildest, wackiest, funkiest, Chiba-est Japanese superhero movie you've probably never heard of
B-WARE THE BLOG! - My blog devoted to the schlocktastic!
LH-C
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2006, 04:57:38 PM »

<>
<>

Me too!!

As for The Da Vinci Code - had no interest in the book, have no interest in the movie.

Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Da Vinci Croaks « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.