Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 03:31:03 PM
714644 Posts in 53102 Topics by 7748 Members
Latest Member: Lucinda02
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Any Good Macross (or AKA Robotech) DVDs? « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Any Good Macross (or AKA Robotech) DVDs?  (Read 1418 times)
daveblackeye15
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: June 02, 2006, 08:14:27 PM »

Hi.

For the last few weeks I've been rereading the Robotech books which were adapted by from the anime Robotech (of course)

I've been wanting to get buy the Japanese version (Super Dimensial Fortress Macross) because that's the orginal and it's not uncut and with the orginal languge. Don't get me wrong I've been thinking of also getting the Robotech version just for pure nostagia and enjoyed rewatching a few episodes alast year. So is there a good DVD set of Macross that anyone would recommend?

Now it's time to sing the nation anthem IN AMERICA!!!

Bandit Keith from Yu-Gi-Oh the Abridged Series (episode 12)
Just Plain Horse
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2006, 08:40:10 AM »

This may be slightly off-topic, but it does have giant robots in it... briefly. On the low key end of this spectrum, I happened to catch WXIII:PATLABOR about a month ago. Since the only Patlabor stuff I'd seen before were the half-hour lighthearted tv episodes before this, I was quite surprised and intrigued. I was pleased to see they had discarded everything about the series I found annoying.

It turns into a sort of detective story, putting the decidely absurd cast of Patlabor aside and focuses on two detectives and their attempts to solve a bizarre case of accidents. The first half, like GMK, builds tension slowly- almost imperceptively- so that when the jolt comes it hits you clear out of nowhere. By the time this happens, I was paying so much attention to the characters, I almost completely forgot the ominous presence that was about to make itself known.

I will repeat this is not the insane, somebody gets splattered or raped every 10 minutes anime most uninformed viewers look for in the extremist category... it is quite the opposite; but that's what makes brief graphic moments work so well in this genre, especially when it fits the mood. If I was going to hold a lecture on how to structure a movie involving giant robots who battle a strange menace without a hint of absurdity or silliness, I would be strongly inclined to show this anime.
LH-C
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2006, 03:50:57 PM »

Macross, Southern Cross, and Mospeda, which made up the Robotech series here in the States are all on R1 DVD in their original forms.

daveblackeye15

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2006, 04:37:37 PM »

Do you own these DVDs yourself or just heard about them? I'm hoping for a few extras or something, but I'm fine with barebones for something like Macross.

LH-C
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2006, 06:32:56 PM »

Nah, I haven't gotten around to buying them, but I was a huge Robotech fan back in the day, and everyone I'd talked to who'd seen the original shows (this was way before they were on DVD) said that they were much better. BTW - I met the woman that did the voice of Minmay 6 years ago.

daveblackeye15

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2006, 07:53:23 PM »

You met Minmay's V.A.? Too cool!

I'm buying Macross DVDs for sure now.

Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2006, 07:57:17 PM »

I always enjoyed the old "Clash of the Bionoids" Macross from 1984.  It was a compact version of the story, with quirks, and it also was much more tragic.  Max kills Myra in their duel, then dies himself when the battlecruiser they fought inside explodes.  The storyline did not have less deaths, but pushed them in there since in a great war there will be great loss.  It is something that struck me in watching the film as very believable.

The animation in it was also superb.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Any Good Macross (or AKA Robotech) DVDs? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.