Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 04:29:00 AM
714503 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7744 Members
Latest Member: MichelFran
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  OT: Where did you get your movie news pre-internet. « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: OT: Where did you get your movie news pre-internet.  (Read 1738 times)
trekgeezer
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

We're all just victims of circumstance

« on: May 12, 2006, 01:39:38 PM »

I read a lot of magazines, some I subscribed to and some that I got off of newstands. I especially liked Starlog, Cinefantastique, and Fangoria. I subscribed to Isaac Asimov's, The Twilight Zone Magazine, and Science Fiction Age (I have all but one edition, which I missed during a move).

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
BeyondTheGrave
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Punks not Ded sez Rich

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2006, 02:04:45 PM »

You know its weird with me, I never use a magazine for my movies. I have magazine for me video games and the music I listen to (I read Punk Planet). I usually get my info here If anywhere.

Most of all I hate dancing then work,exercise,people,stupidpeople

onionhead
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2006, 02:31:54 PM »

Mostly from the Friday insert of the local News Tribune; the cool stuff I read in Forrest Ackerman's Famous Monsters of Filmland, the occasional Fangoria.  As I grew older, and those magazines fell by the wayside, most of the films that have become dearest to me I found just searching through the Horror section of the local video store.

Some people like cupcakes better--I for one care less for them
Chopper
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2006, 04:31:44 PM »

good question there, i think it was in a dark alleyway where i met the greasy pusher with the crumpled brown paper bag. all kidding aside i was an avid Fangoria reader also. also whatever magazine caught my eye when i first got serious into horror and cult films. any magazine or documentary on tv dealing with effects, make-up, or filmmaking, stuff like that.
Menard
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2006, 01:46:25 PM »

I used to read and collect all kinds of horror and monster mags.

In the 70s, what stands out were The Monster Times (a cool newspaper format magazine), Quasimodo's Monster Magazine (only lasted a few issues, but included a full length book in each issue), Famous Monsters (loved Warren mags and the cool mail order section in each issue as well), and Fantastic Films.

In the 80s, I read several magazines including: Fangoria (remember when it was a good magazine before it became the mouthpiece for the self-important Anthony Timpone), Demonique (a really good but short lived magazine from the early 80s), Cinemagic (a magazine for aspiring amateur filmmakers concentrating on special effects), and occasional short lived titles (as many were).

Not too many magazines caught my interest in the 90s, but The Dark Side magazine (a British publication) was one of my favorites.
LH-C
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2006, 09:50:57 AM »

The MovieTime Channel and the local newspaper.

Just Plain Horse
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2006, 11:08:46 AM »

When I was really young & easily swayed, TV Guide. Then I read Cinefantastique, until 1998- something about the development and execution of the American Godzilla made me look for something more obsessive and that led me to Fangoria. Except for the cute cartoony in-jokes, I found Starlog too mild for me, although they did once have an article on Godzilla that amused me. I've flirted with Scifi channel magazine from time to time, but it never holds my interest...
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2006, 05:19:56 PM »

I read Famous Monsters as a kid,Castle of Frankenstien was REALLY good...I used to read Psychotronic Video, but I think Micheal Weldon may have dropped one of his oars. I HAD a subscription, but he seems to have gotten tired of doing the mag anymore...just as well...it USED to be a pretty cool zine once...Cult Movies is pretty cool. I really enjoy this site...it drives my old lady and kids crazy when I watch one of the old clips and turn it up really loud...hehhehheh...

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  OT: Where did you get your movie news pre-internet. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.