Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:47:30 PM
714474 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7743 Members
Latest Member: medikam
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Need for MST3K tape « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Need for MST3K tape  (Read 2170 times)
D
« on: January 27, 2002, 01:25:09 AM »

Does anybody know where I can find a copy of the MST3K epiode "The Amazing Colossal Man"?  I've tried Amazon, and I have had not luck.
D
Squishy
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2002, 04:46:25 AM »

This is weird; I though this would be a snap to answer, but Rhino Records doesn't even include this one on their MST3K video list anymore. Anyone know wazzup? Rhino lose the rights or something?

Amazon.com does list it as "available in 1-2 days,"  which usually means "we think we'll be able to scrounge up a copy," which often--but not always--means "whoopsie doodle. Sorry about that." (A used copy is available for eighty freaking bucks. Pig. Leech. Enron executive.)

Try popping "amazing colossal mst" in eBay's search engine; there seem to be a few auctions now and then of package deals which include ACM. Be sure to use the "search titles and descriptions" option, and tweak the entry a few times to catch all possible entries.

Also, lots of personal "trade" sites have it; you can find these by entering the same search data into Google.com. (Some will not offer ACM or any other Rhino release because of copyright issues; however, since it seems to be off the market, perhaps these dealers would relent.)

Good luck!
Squishy
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2002, 04:51:26 AM »

"Another episode, 309- The Amazing Colossal Man, was also released, but due to rights problems Rhino had to discontinue shipping copies. So if you happen to find one on your store's shelf, snap it up quick!

...so THAT's why a used copy's selling for eighty bucks at Amazon.

From the FAQs of the "Satellite News" website, http://www.mst3kinfo.com/
Cullen
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2002, 05:45:01 AM »

...the day would come when the words "eighty bucks" would be used in the same context as "The Amazing Colossal Man."  I mean, outside of discussing the special effects budget...

Hey, I liked tACM and I liked MST3K (most of the time), but eighty bucks for a tape?  Ain't no way.
Squishy
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2002, 06:04:10 AM »

All good things will come around if one lives long enough*. One day, all the legal horseflop will be forgotten and all the MST3K eps will see airtime again. O Glorious Day!

(All GOOD things. Even Godzilla vs Megalon will be remembered fondly in the future after you and I are dirt, but there will be no revival for The Alien Dead or Stop! Or My Mom Will Shoot.)

...say, how did the giant syringe fit in the helicopter cockpit like that? Did they punch out the plexiglass? ("Look out, fool! You dropped it!" A couple of hundred feet below: "Mommy, God just stabbed Billy in the head with a big needle! Why, Mommy, why?")
Flangepart
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2002, 05:15:09 PM »

"Well son, God decided Billy had to pay for all those kitty cats he used in his unholy experimants  that were part of his science fair exibit. You just know God never intended Kitty cats to have two heads and shoot flame from their behinds, right?"
Cullen
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2002, 07:53:33 PM »

"All GOOD things. Even Godzilla vs Megalon will be remembered fondly in the future after you and I are dirt..."

Good things.  "Godzilla v. Megalon."  Remembered fondly.  Urg.  I think my brain just popped.  Not sure.  Give me a sec...

(Just to show the world how disturbed I am, I have always preferred "Godzilla v. the Smog Monster" to GvMe, and could never *quite* figure out why GvtSM was chosen as the worst Godzilla movie of all time.  In fact, the more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that GvtSM is better than the two Godzilla movies that followed it (The Mecha-godzilla duo, I believe).  Hell, it's better than G1985...it's glorious...the colors...I...

(You see?  Most disturbed.)

And now for something completely diffrent:
"'Look out, fool! You dropped it!' A couple of hundred feet below: 'Mommy, God just stabbed Billy in the head with a big needle! Why, Mommy, why?'"

I read that and all I could think of was the "Family Circle."  How wrong is that?
Cullen
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2002, 07:55:40 PM »

"Family Circle" is, of course, Cullenese for "Family Circus".  You see?  My brain's gone bye-bye.  I'd miss it, if I ever used it...
Lee
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2002, 08:00:48 PM »

LOL!!! Hey Cullen, we both must be suffering a brain dissorder. I thought Godzilla Vs. The Smog Monster was a cool flick! Granted the first time I saw it I was a little kid, but I still enjoy it when I do catch it every millenia or so. If you ask me the WORST Godzilla movie in excistence is that Aweful Hellish demon know as Godzilla's Revenge! Quite possibley the most annoying kid ever in a movie. And DAMNIT that is saying something!!!!
Cullen
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2002, 07:41:00 AM »

"Granted the first time I saw it I was a little kid, but I still enjoy it when I do catch it every millenia or so."

I think that's my problem, too.  It was the first Godzilla I'd ever seen in a theater and I thought it was GREAT.  Unfortunately, my parents also watched it and hated it.  That killed any chances of me seeing it again for years.

Then, a couple of years back, it appeared on the Sci-Fi channel and I watched it again.  By this time, I had seen every one of the Showa Godzilla films and had something to compare it to.  And it came off very good.  Not great (I'd put it fairly low in the standings, liking it or not), but definitely better than "Godzilla v. Megalon."  I have never liked GvMe and probably never will.  By a bizarre twist of fate, GvMe is also the only Godzilla movie I have two tapes of.

Now, on a different note, there is a kaiju movie out there similar to "Godzilla's Revenge,” but in actuality far worse.  It’s called "Super Gamera" and it is, without a doubt, the worst Gamera movie ever made.  (Also the last one, until the new series began.)  G'sR at the very least had new kaiju footage (albeit fairly goofy footage.)  SG is wall to wall rehash with a messed up plot which has nothing to do with the rest of the series (Something to do with a space-girl coming to Earth to defeat an alien threat) and ends with the death of Gamera.  Ouchie.
Squishy
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2002, 09:02:08 AM »

It contains not just stock footage from earlier Gamera entries: it contains EVERY piece of monster-battle stock footage they could cull from every earlier color Gamera movie. (Gamera The Invincible was, of course, B&W.)

Gamera does indeed commit a fatal kamikaze attack against the bad guys' spacecraft, but because there is no new Gamera footage, this is depicted by switching back and forth between old Gamera-in-space shots and a mediocre PAINTING of a Star Destroyer, then throwing in a clip of an "explosion." To get us used to Gamera interacting with 2-D spacecraft, he waves hello to stock shots of the Galaxy Express and Space Cruiser Yamato (Star Blazers). If I recall correctly, the animated passengers and crew of both ships wave back. The screaming you hear right now is coming from inside your own head.

If I recall correctly, "Kenny"s schoolteacher is the Space Chick in disguise, and to cheer him up after Gamera gets turned into soup, she declares him an Official Space Man and they start flying aimlessly around the city (by holding their hands out in front of a rear-projection screen. Ed Wood eat your heart out.). Yessir, screw Gamera, I'm flying around my ugly dump of a city with my adolescent fantasy of an older woman in a body stocking. Hot for teacher!

Yahoo! I made Cullen's brain pop! (Struts.)

(RANT WARNING: Actually, the "Family Circus" thing was intentional. Remember when it was perfectly acceptable--even cute--to show the tear-filled aftermath of Mommy beating the kids? Awwwwww. I have always hated this one after seeing the jawdropping Sunday strip that showed one of the abused runts praying to God to watch out for Daddy, followed by a scene of a giant invisible hand preventing Daddy from stepping in front of a speeding car. Does this mean that when a loved one dies, it is because one didn't worship hard enough? That God could've saved them, but chose not to--because a third party didn't ask nicely? That I don't need to watch where the hell I'm going as long as I force a child to pray for my safety? Bill Keane, you sick-ass bird fart--eat me with salsa.)
Cullen
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2002, 10:31:38 AM »

"If I recall correctly, 'Kenny's schoolteacher is the Space Chick in disguise, and to cheer him up after Gamera gets turned into soup, she declares him an Official Space Man and they start flying aimlessly around the city (by holding their hands out in front of a rear-projection screen. Ed Wood eat your heart out.). "

You are correct.  It's been at least ten years since I watch that bad boy, but the way you've described it has brought it all back.  All the unpleasant, messy details.  Ugh.  

Fortunately for me, I no longer have a brain, and thus am partially immune.  So far, I haven't noticed any real changes, which is either good, or really, really sad...
Flangepart
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2002, 12:19:51 PM »

Brain,brain,.. what is brain? That thing that turns into puree of grits from watching too many movies with..(Shudder)...Kennys in them. Any form of Kenny, male, female, neuter.....its important to have all Kenny spayed and neutered, to prevent the reproduction of small Japanese children with disterbingly small pants, and unhealthy relationships with giant, rampageing  hellbeasts. However, as the Hellbeasts are less threatining to the planet, they may be allowed to reproduce willy-nilly, with Milli-Vanilli, on the side of a hilli.......time for my medication, Nurse Ratchet............
D
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2002, 12:19:45 AM »

You know, I just saw a Thundarr the Barbarian tape for sale on amazon. For 64 freakin dollars! How do these people sleep at night? (Beside on a large pile of what used to be MY money)
On a slightly different track, does anybody remember a tape caled Gamera VS Godzilla? I saw a box like that when i visted a local mom and pop video store, It had 2 black and white photos of the monsters, and the box was a bright blue. I think it was just a compliation tape of various fights the monsters had. The video was checked, and the place closed last week, so was it real, or did I have a another freak out?
D
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Need for MST3K tape « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: osmosis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.