Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:29:15 PM
714454 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  New Robert Duvall Western on AMC « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: New Robert Duvall Western on AMC  (Read 2815 times)
trekgeezer
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

We're all just victims of circumstance

« on: June 04, 2006, 03:47:23 PM »

Saw an on the set special this morning on AMC about this mini series directed by Walter Hill and starring Robert Duvall and Thomas Haden Church. It airs on AMC on June 25 & 26. I love Duvall and will definitely be watching.

Official Site

Here's the rundown on the story:

During the late 1800s two unique events were taking place in the American West. The British were deep in the throes of the Boer War and were coming to the U.S. to purchase horses for their military campaigns. Meanwhile, another trade was taking place. Chinese women were being kidnapped from the West Coast and brought to the interior west to serve as prostitutes. In Broken Trail, the story unfolds upon these historical facts, following the story of five Chinese women, kidnapped and destined for a life of misery, whose fate becomes intertwined with two horseman (Duvall/Church) wrangling horses for sale to the British Empire. In the process, we see the personal growth of Print Ritter (Duvall) from lonesome cowboy to father figure. Unlike most Westerns, Broken Trail's focus is on the female characters, making the story unique, compelling, and timely. In Duvall's own words, "Broken Trail completes a personal trilogy for me of Lonesome Dove and Open Range."

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2006, 01:02:04 AM »

Yep, been keeping a watch out for this one. Looks good. Hope I don't miss it when it comes on TV. Might have to actually put it on my calender. I still have LONESOME DOVE one the shelve. Saw OPEN RANGE at the theater. Good film.

Jim H

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2006, 06:49:25 PM »

That picture on the official website is VERY reminiscent of Open Range...  Duvall can carry a movie by himself though, so it'll probably be worth watching.

Edit to add - it is also directed by Walter Hill, who is a quite solid director.  Probably best known for The Warriors, 48 Hours and Last man Standing.
Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2006, 08:55:57 PM »

Trek Geezer that is a fine fine film. Watched Sunday and Monday nights. Really liked the East meets West in this Western. Great story that was well done. Duval is also the producer in this film. Solid Western........

If any of  you missed it I'm sure AMC will be showing it again soon.

trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2006, 07:13:48 AM »

Duvall was on the CBS Sunday morning show and said he had final cut of rights on the film and 90% of it was his cut. What was kind of funny was him talking like he cut some of the violence and put in more character moments.

Acts of violence left in the film were pretty brutal. Thomas Haden Church hung a guy, shot another guys thumbs off, helped Duvall kill  Smallpox Bob and his partner along with their horses and then burned them all.

I did like the film a lot, but I don't know if it was quite up to Lonesome Dove standards.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2006, 01:13:48 PM »

I never saw Lonesome Dove, but I did watch this last night.  It was very well done and I stayed up late watching it.  I wish I could watch the whole thing sometime it was very good.
-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  New Robert Duvall Western on AMC « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.