Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:13:09 AM
714503 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7744 Members
Latest Member: MichelFran
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  ANTHROPOPHAGUS (THE GRIM REAPER) - 1981 « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: ANTHROPOPHAGUS (THE GRIM REAPER) - 1981  (Read 1177 times)
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: July 02, 2006, 06:20:01 AM »

Tisa Farrow is back in another cheap Italian gore film that was released a year after her appearance in the infamous ZOMBIE.

** POTENTIAL SPOILERS - BEWARE!!!!! **

Tisa and several acquaintances take a sailboat to a Greek Island where an insane cannibal (played by George Eastman, who appeared in several Italian post-apocalypse sci-fi flicks) has been lurking around eating people.  Flashbacks reveal that he had been adrift at sea with his wife and son and decided that he needed to eat them in order to survive!

Two of the gore scenes in this movie reach new lows in tastelessness:

* A scene where the killer strangles a pregnant woman, pulls the fetus from her womb, and commences to eat it (similar to Samantha Eggar's scene in THE BROOD).

* A scene where the killer chews on his own intestines.

For the most part, this is a boring fim.  Not much happens until the final 30 minutes or so.  The musical score is the usual synthesizer rock that was common in Italian horror movies and thrillers in the 1970s and 80s.  And it has too many scenes of someone pulling a blanket off a corpse, with a close-up of the corpse's face while the synthesizer on the soundtrack goes "DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!"  It wasn't scary the first time they did it, and it was annoying by about the 4th time.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2006, 09:40:28 AM »

Burgo,

Obviously you saw an uncut version but was it an older VHS copy or DVD?  I've looked for it on DVD in the past but seem to only find the cut version.  If it was DVD, who released it?

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2006, 04:48:14 PM »

Skaboi:

It is a 2 disc, widescreen DVD that was released by Shriek Show (which is quickly becoming one of my favorite sources of tough-to-find movies).  It is a fairly new release (within the last few months, I believe).  I bought it at Best Buy for $10.99.  According to the back of the box it "has never been available in the U.S. with all its gruesome scenes intact . . . until now."  I'm not sure if this is true or just hype, but it appears to be the uncut version.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2006, 08:02:02 PM »

Burgo,

That's exactly what I needed to know.  Apparently it's claim is true, as every copy I've found has been cut.  I'll have to hit up Best Buy soon and get a copy.  Thanks!

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  ANTHROPOPHAGUS (THE GRIM REAPER) - 1981 « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.