Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:12:11 PM
714462 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Recent Purchases and Viewings. « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Recent Purchases and Viewings.  (Read 1756 times)
dean
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: July 10, 2006, 09:19:41 AM »

Just bought a few handy DVDs and watched and rewatched a few movies as well, which made for a nice weekend [my first two days off in a row in a while, so it's good to catch up.]

First off I bought a nice Mad Max pack which included Mad Max 2 and 3.  Sure the dvds themselves are nothing special [barebones dvd pack] but you just can't go wrong with ol' Max now can you?

Anyway, I'll keep it reasonably short and sweet [and badly written since I can't think straight]

Out of the Mad Max films I bought, I watched Beyond Thunderdome first as it is the Mad Max film I remember the most [and actually the first I remember watching as a kid.]  It may not be the strongest film ever, and has a balding Tina Turner in it, but it's lots of fun, and for some reason I really enjoyed the soundtrack.  We really do need more post-apocalyptic films these days, especially with the whole 'oil-shortages/price rises' theme that's gripping the world at the moment.

Next I went off to see the new Pirates of the Caribbean film.  Fun stuff.  Not a classic by any means, but it's hard not to be entertained by the exploits of Capt Sparrow and gang.  Not as well put together as the first film, but it is difficult to keep your attention for 2 1/2 hours and not have some flat spots.  The film really does have alot of moments where something happens in the background and people turn around and look quizzical.  Kiera Knightley and Orlando Bloom still annoy me [well their characters at least] but you really can't go wrong with a great role like Johnny Depp's.

Again I rewatched Ghost in the Shell the original, which is always interesting, since the whole Ghost int the Shell franchise is one of the things I'm slightly obsessive about.  What can I say, it just sits well with me.

I watched some more anime with the Cowboy Bebop movie, which is entertaining, but since I've only seen a few episodes, I felt as if I was missing out slightly, which is a problem with quite a lot of anime, such as Spriggen and X, where you really have to be a fan of either the manga, or the tv series the movies are based on, to understand it fully.  That being said, the Cowboy Bebop movie is nowhere near as bad as those above-mentioned examples, and is actually pretty accessible.

Lastly, I bought the 50 Sci Fi Movie Mega Pack by Payless [I was feeling the 'spend money vibe']  So many movies, so much trash...  To those who know about it, any suggestions of where to start?  It's just too many films to comprehend at the moment, and I'm not sure if I've just signed up to a whole world of trouble.

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
odinn7

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2006, 09:32:34 AM »

Dean...do you have any knowledge of Road Warrior vs. Mad MAx II? What I mean is, I have heard there are some small differences between the americanized Road Warrior and the original release Mad Max II but then I have also heard there are no differences at all. Do you know about that at all? I am a fan of Road Warrior (as everyone should know by now) and if there is a difference, I would most definitely need to get my hands on a copy of Mad Max II.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
dean

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2006, 09:38:16 AM »

Well I honestly don't know if there is a difference at all, since I haven't watched the Americanized version [that is the dubbed one right?]

I guess it's just a name thing, kind of like how the Peter Jackson film I know and love as 'Braindead' is referred to often in the states as 'Dead Alive'.  Here I always refer to it as Mad Max II: The Roadwarrior since it's obviously a sequel to the first one [and indeed that's the title on the DVD], whereas, if my brain serves me well, Roadwarrior was the title it was given in the states since it was the first to really break through the market there, thus no Mad Max II before it.  I could be mixing it all up for all I know though...

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2006, 10:16:27 AM »

You might want to check the IMDB.
Oftentimes, they'll list the differences in alternate & international versions.
daveblackeye15

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2006, 10:38:55 AM »

I agree you can't go wrong with Mad Max!

Now it's time to sing the nation anthem IN AMERICA!!!

Bandit Keith from Yu-Gi-Oh the Abridged Series (episode 12)
odinn7

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2006, 10:45:59 AM »

As far as RW being dubbed...I'm not real sure. They all do have accents in it. The original release of Mad Max in the states was dubbed and quite poorly. I was able to get a great collectors DVD a few years ago with the original soundtrack on it and it was like watching the movie for the first time all over again.
Maybe I should look into getting a copy of Mad Max II anyway...probably can't hurt to have one.

Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2006, 11:34:05 AM »

odinn7 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> As far as RW being dubbed...I'm not real sure.
> They all do have accents in it. The original
> release of Mad Max in the states was dubbed and
> quite poorly. I was able to get a great collectors
> DVD a few years ago with the original soundtrack
> on it and it was like watching the movie for the
> first time all over again.
> Maybe I should look into getting a copy of Mad Max
> II anyway...probably can't hurt to have one.

Geek!  Fanboy!

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
odinn7

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2006, 11:37:44 AM »

Skaboi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> odinn7 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > As far as RW being dubbed...I'm not real sure.
> > They all do have accents in it. The original
> > release of Mad Max in the states was dubbed and
> > quite poorly. I was able to get a great
> collectors
> > DVD a few years ago with the original
> soundtrack
> > on it and it was like watching the movie for
> the
> > first time all over again.
> > Maybe I should look into getting a copy of Mad
> Max
> > II anyway...probably can't hurt to have one.
>
>
> Geek!  Fanboy!

...And your point?

The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2006, 04:20:06 PM »

As for the SCI-FI CLASSICS 50 MOVIE PACK, there is plenty of cheapo-trasho entertainment on those 12 discs.  Some of the movies will make you laugh, but most of them will make you cry.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Recent Purchases and Viewings. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.