Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 12:53:56 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  V For Vendetta « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: V For Vendetta  (Read 2382 times)
Mr_Vindictive
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« on: August 01, 2006, 07:57:47 AM »

Got my DVD copy of this a bit early and watched it last night.  Best film of the year so far.  I don't want to say much about the film, since it's much better to see it without a hint of spoilers.  I highly recommend renting/buying it today.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
dean

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2006, 08:03:23 AM »

Skaboi, have you read the graphic novel?  There's a few changes made in the movie which are quite interesting, and there's some moments in the novel which don't come up on screen which are equally cool.  Interesting case, for me at least, of an adaptation which does really well, but changes some key things to suit for a more updated time.

Though I have to admit I like the end in the novel better than the end in the movie, but with such a fun film all round, I don't really give a damn...

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2006, 08:25:07 AM »

Dean,

I've read a bit of Alan Moore's work (Watchmen) but V has always slipped by me.  I'll certainly read it after seeing the film.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2006, 03:19:33 PM »

I found it very enjoyable.  Definitely not your "normal" hollywood made action film.  Thank goodness!

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
Neon Noodle
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2006, 07:56:09 PM »

I saw this one in the theater, it was totally excellent. Or as the Massachusetts people would say, it was wicked p**sah.

In the night, the skull came to his dreams and said, 'You are a fool to rejoice in the entanglements of life.'
Chuang Tzu couldn`t believe this and asked, 'If I could return you to your life, you would want that, wouldn`t you?'
Stunned by Chuang Tzu`s foolishness, the skull replied, 'How do you know that it is bad to be dead?'

-From The Matrix: The Path of Neo
Neville

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2006, 11:25:21 AM »

Not a masterpiece in my book (pace flags here and there, and the camerawork isn't exactly innovative), but very probably the best adaptation one could imagine. It's by far one of the best comic book adaptations ever, and surely one of the finest films of the season.

Gotta love those V's speeches.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Shadowphile
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2006, 02:39:42 AM »

I got lost trying to follow his first 'v' speech.  An awesome movie and a gusty move by  Natalie Portman to shave her head.  Kudos to Hugo Weaving for doing the entire movie wearing a mask.  

I found the 'coincidences' interesting especially since it was frequently mentioned that there are no coincidence....
BeyondTheGrave

Punks not Ded sez Rich

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2006, 11:41:49 AM »

I loved this movie. V ideas pretty much sums up alot of things I feel and believe.

I also found the "coincidences" interesting. Everything happened for a reason and it was a chain reaction.

Most of all I hate dancing then work,exercise,people,stupidpeople

Neon Noodle
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2006, 05:17:26 PM »

Okay, so I realized there are 4 versions of this movie to own.

(1) pan and scan version
(2) widescreen version
(3) 2 disc-special edition
(4) 2 disc special edition with Guy Fawkes mask and extra artwork

I of course bought the 4th one, being the sucker that I am. I may have to write a thread on the evils of DVD merchandising again.

In the night, the skull came to his dreams and said, 'You are a fool to rejoice in the entanglements of life.'
Chuang Tzu couldn`t believe this and asked, 'If I could return you to your life, you would want that, wouldn`t you?'
Stunned by Chuang Tzu`s foolishness, the skull replied, 'How do you know that it is bad to be dead?'

-From The Matrix: The Path of Neo
BeyondTheGrave

Punks not Ded sez Rich

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2006, 08:08:45 PM »

Neon Noodle Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Okay, so I realized there are 4 versions of this
> movie to own.
>
> (1) pan and scan version
> (2) widescreen version
> (3) 2 disc-special edition
> (4) 2 disc special edition with Guy Fawkes mask
> and extra artwork
>
> I of course bought the 4th one, being the sucker
> that I am. I may have to write a thread on the
> evils of DVD merchandising again.

Well at least they all came out at the same time. I hate when they delay speical editions like Sin City.

Most of all I hate dancing then work,exercise,people,stupidpeople

Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2006, 01:21:39 AM »

Well, don't let me be the lone voice of dissent.

Yes, V FOR VENDETTA is pretty good.  Much better than most movies being released.

Still, I've spent the better part of the last 15 years reading and rereading Alan Moore's work.  I have a bit of a relationship with V for Vendetta.  It's Alan Moore's first major work.  It's a bit of a wish-fulfillment work on his part.  V is the Ubermensch.  God bless Alan Moore for creating his adolescent fantasy in such a mesmerizing form, but that's still what it is.  I thought it was genius when I was 12, called it out for what it was when I was 20, realized later it was still a pretty goddamn good story.

Don't get me wrong, I liked the movie, but every change from the original was a change for the worse.  It's one of those things.  "The book was better than the movie."  I know people who don't like THE PRINCESS BRIDE because they read the book first.  (I think THE PRINCESS BRIDE is one of the best movies of all time.)

Still, if you like the movie, read the comic.  If you like the comic, go out and read everything else Alan Moore has done.  When something like V for Vendetta is one of an artist's lesser works, and it's pretty good, you should check out the rest of it.

It goes deeper.  Any qualms I have with the movie disappear when I hear Moore's words.  Evie's savior in the jail cell. . .

Whose name is conspicuously missing from the credits?  I don't have much hope for any WATCHMEN movie.

This was a good film, but it's a pale candle to the original.  Seek it out.

EDIT: Yeesh.  Don't write drunk, folks.  Excess swearing removed upon more sober reflection.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  V For Vendetta « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.