Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:07:54 AM
714463 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  One thing I hate about DVDs.... « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: One thing I hate about DVDs....  (Read 1971 times)
BTM
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: July 23, 2006, 05:02:44 PM »

This is one of the FEW advantages of VHS or DVDs....

Okay, imagine this, you're playing a movie you rented from Netflix (or bought used from half or whatever) and you're an hour into it, getted real intriqued, then suddenly, the picture crackles, and stops.  Then resumes.  Then stops again....

Frustrated you pop the tape out and, sure enough, there's some stratches on it.  Something they're barely noticeable, but still, they've causing trouble.  You clean the DVD, put it back in, and hope for the best, sometimes even then, no go.  

Maybe my memory's faultym but I've rented hundreds of VHSes back in the day, and usually if they were messed up and couldn't play, you could tell within a few minutes after putting them in (and sometimes even before that.)  While the occasional tape break or even a VHS gumming up a VCR wasn't unheard of, them seemed to happen a LOT less frequently than a stopped (or stopping) DVD.

In short, you gotta take REAL good care of those freaking things, I guess.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 07:19:29 PM by BTM » Logged

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2006, 06:01:18 AM »

Hmmm . . . I VERY rarely (almost never) have trouble with DVDs.  I have nearly 2,000 DVDs in my colection, and I've probably had trouble with about 3 or 4 of them (which I promptly returned to the store and they gave me a replacement copy that worked perfectly).

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2006, 07:41:49 AM »

I'm with Burgo.  Rarely do I have any problems playing DVDs, even ones that are quite scratched.  I've had many many less problems with them than VHS which seemed to always have some type of trouble.

Do you happen to be using a Sony DVD player by any chance?  For some reason, their players are MUCH more sensitive to scratches and such.  I've noticed that problem myself and had it confirmed from others that use Sony dvd players.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
BeyondTheGrave

Punks not Ded sez Rich

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2006, 09:05:29 AM »

Skaboi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm with Burgo.  Rarely do I have any problems
> playing DVDs, even ones that are quite scratched.
> I've had many many less problems with them than
> VHS which seemed to always have some type of
> trouble.
>
> Do you happen to be using a Sony DVD player by any
> chance?  For some reason, their players are MUCH
> more sensitive to scratches and such.  I've
> noticed that problem myself and had it confirmed
> from others that use Sony dvd players.

I agree with Sony DVD players. I have one and it is very senstive.

Most of all I hate dancing then work,exercise,people,stupidpeople

BTM

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2006, 11:26:45 AM »

Well, you're probably rich enough to buy them all brand new... :)

BTM

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2006, 11:28:30 AM »

> Do you happen to be using a Sony DVD player by any
> chance?  For some reason, their players are MUCH
> more sensitive to scratches and such.  I've
> noticed that problem myself and had it confirmed
> from others that use Sony dvd players.

WHOA!  No way!  I AM using a Sony DVD player!  That's creepy...  I mean, I figure Sony would be better than name I wasn't too familiar with, so that's why I spent a little extra and bought it... Guess the jokes on me, huh?

(grumble, grumble)

Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2006, 11:42:17 AM »

Yeah, I'm usually the same way when it comes to electronics.  I normally throw down the extra cash to buy a company that I'm familair with and have faith in.  I don't actually use that approach when choosing a DVD player though.

I've found that the cheap "no-name" brand DVD players hold up a bit better than the expensive fancy ones.  I have a Phillips DVD player and a Pioneer DVD player, and yet neither seem to do as well as a $30.00 Apex DVD player that I've had since 2001.  The worst one I ever owned was a Sony, which happened to be their Playstation 2.  I say go for a cheaper player.  It might be better than the pricer models.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2006, 12:36:58 PM »

I've got a VHS copy of CHASING SLEEP which is perfectly watchable until a crucial scene near the very end, when it garbles all to hell.

I agree, it has a lot to do with the DVD player.  My Xbox will freeze at the drop of a hat, and even has problems recognizing the DVDs.  The DVD/VCR combo I have will play almost anything.  (To be fair, my Xbox used to sit in a room where people chain smoked cigarettes.  It's a little dirty.)

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Flangepart

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2006, 02:44:11 PM »

Professional DvDs, few problims. Used or DvD-R stuff, lots more problimatic.
Tried some DvDs from Horror Hosts, like Butch R. Cleaver or Mr. Lobo....sorry, but, tis true....and as i have a Toshiba, i'd have to blaim the DvDs.

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2006, 03:49:24 PM »

I got myself this JSI from Big Lot's a couple of weeks ago for about $40.
It's not quite as good as some of these DVD Roms I've been through, but then, this six year old motherboard's got a few gremlins in it.

Magnetic media was fine in it's day, but I've never seen a VHS Rom.

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2006, 07:12:25 PM »

I have a Sony DVD player and I think it's great.  My first DVD player was a JVC and it was pretty good, but I think Sony is better.  I haven't really noticed any sensitivity problems.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
BTM

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2006, 07:50:54 PM »

> I've found that the cheap "no-name" brand DVD
> players hold up a bit better than the expensive
> fancy ones.  I have a Phillips DVD player and a
> Pioneer DVD player, and yet neither seem to do as
> well as a $30.00 Apex DVD player that I've had
> since 2001.  

Oh, man, the IRONY!  I remember when years back when freaking Wal-Mart had Apex DVD players at like $40.00 or something (I mean, REALLY cheap for the time), but I went got like hundred dollar Sony one instead.  The irony of this is sickening...

>The worst one I ever owned was a
> Sony, which happened to be their Playstation 2.  I
> say go for a cheaper player.  It might be better
> than the pricer models.

Well, it's not a PS2 but it is a Sony... and come to think of it, my parents have a Sony as well (five DVD changer) and they've had a lot of rented stuff from Netflix give them some probs...

Gonna have to do some more research, see if there's an "official" trend about that...

ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2006, 10:25:04 PM »

We used to have an Apex, but our VCR died.  Rather than replace the VCR, we bought a Sansui DVD/VCR and gave the Apex to my wife's sister.

I had a LOT more problems with 'stalls' with the Apex, and we had some music CD's that it just would not play (or even recognize).

I've not had one single problem (yet, knock on wood) with ANY DVD, even those visibly scratched from Netflix, with the Sansui that a simple wiping off did not fix (a few have stopped in mid play, but in each case a simple wipe of the disk and we were good to go).  Those CD's that the Apex did not recognize?  The Sansui plays just fine, though we've gotten a dedicated Sony CD player and don't use it generally for listening to music CD's.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Jim H

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2006, 03:22:00 AM »

Thing that I like about VHS was short of the tape breaking, you never got freezes, or macroblocking glitching.  It did suck when the tape got screwed up somehow and the sound was all bad though.

BTW, even if your Sony is more vulnerable to damaged media, it probably does have better quality output.  My Apex (which is hacked to be region free and can convert pal/ntsc - plays anything, essentially) is fine, but any more expensive player DOES look better.  My least favorite thing about it is how over sensitive it is to touch.  I've had two or three discs get caught between the tray when my slight touch sends the tray back inside before the disc is all the way in the tray.  One of several reasons I'd prefer a drive without a tray.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  One thing I hate about DVDs.... « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.