Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 10:15:09 PM
714500 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7744 Members
Latest Member: MichelFran
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The Professionals (1966). « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Professionals (1966).  (Read 1719 times)
Neville
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: August 17, 2006, 11:57:55 AM »

A group of aging adventurers (Lee Marvin, Burt Lancaster, Robert Ryan and Woody Strode) are hired to enter Mexico and rescue a Tycoon's wife, who's been kidnapped by one of Pancho Villa's lieutenants.

Man, this one is a lot of wasted potential. Not that it is exactly bad, as it has enough action and solid filmmaking to even attract non-western aficionados. The problem is that the set-up provided for a much better film than this one, which seems too busy providing action and keeping interesting topics under the surface.

Had this film been made during or after Sergio Leone or Sam Peckinpah's careers, Richard Brooks may have had the compulsion to further explore the characters, their situation in an aging western or use Monument Valley for something better than having redish rocks behind the characters.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2006, 03:31:44 PM »

A piece of trivia, in the novel "Bless the Beasts and the Children" by Glendon Swarthout, this is the film the book's characters see, when they go to the drive-in. The book itself being made into a film in 1971.

As for myself, while I have seen parts of it, on three different occasions, I've never had the stamina to watch it all the way through.
Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2006, 08:22:36 PM »

Don't forget Claudia Cardinale.......

Another good one was 100 RIFLES.

trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2006, 08:48:06 PM »

Hey, when I was young the action is what counted in this kind of western. Just think it's one of the few times they had Woody playing a black man instead of an Indian.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Neville

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2006, 04:36:58 AM »

"100 Rifles"... I've come across that title a few times, but i still don't know if I should watch it. The last western I watched with Jim Brown, "The Condor", was terrible.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Yaddo 42

Where's that brick.......

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2006, 05:56:00 AM »

The Professionals is one of my all time favorite westerns, also my first example of a movie better than the book.

Brooks was more a message director than a straight action director, so the team saving Cardinale (ah.....Claudia Cardinale) from the "real" kidnapper makes sense to me. In the book the team is six mostly interchangable characters rather than four distinct types, none have a history with Raza or the Revolution, and the ending is very conventional (the industrialists men ride to the team's rescue at the last minute, "cavalry-style" and Raza dies quite neatly and quickly in the last few pages.

I can't see the film's characters reflecting too much on their place in the dying West, they aren't that introspective. Morose, savoring a little of their past glories (their youthful optimism and belief in the cause) and pleasures (like Chiquita), but not men to who would look for anything larger than holding on to some of their honor and integrity, and the ability to look themselves in the mirror after one of those Saturday baths. As badly as they could all use the money, somethings still matter more to them once they find out the truth of the situation.

blah blah stuff blah blah obscure pop culture reference blah blah clever turn of phrase blah blah bad pun blah blah bad link blah blah zzzz.....
Scott

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2006, 03:42:27 PM »

Check out 100 RIFILES Neville. It also has Burt Reynolds and Raqual Welsh in it . The execution scene always stands out for me.

BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2006, 08:34:45 AM »

I guess it depends how you define the word "few," but I've seen Woody play a black man in "The Gatling Gun," "The Deserter," and "Once Upon a Time in the West," and especially for John Ford in "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance" and especially in "Sergeat Rutledge." And he's done a number of other westerns, which I have not see, in which he may have played a black man.

Of course, as Trek has said, he has also played his share of Native Americans.
Scott

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2006, 02:34:29 PM »

PORK CHOP HILL is another...................and check out Woody Strode in
KEOMA Small | Large

Neville

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2006, 03:10:21 PM »

Keoma... That song... (shudders) Pain!

Scott

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2006, 09:39:24 PM »

Actually I thought the song in KEOMA was awesome and haunting. The film wouldn't be the same without the music.

Neville

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2006, 04:19:30 AM »

I will.

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The Professionals (1966). « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.