Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:48:44 AM
714463 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7743 Members
Latest Member: medikam
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The Fall of the Roman Empire (1964) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Fall of the Roman Empire (1964)  (Read 1468 times)
Neville
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: July 28, 2006, 09:44:06 AM »

The last of the Samuel Bronston films I've been watching during the last week, and my personal favourite.

Plot: Livius, a Roman general, is the heir designed by the emperor Marcus Aurelius to succeed him. However, when he dies he feels his obligation is to support Commodus, the emperor's son. Soon he proves to be a mediocre ruler, and Livius is pinned between his duty towards Rome, his loyalty to Commodus and his love to Lucilla, Commodus' sister.

Samuel Bronston Productions was shortly dismanteled after the comercial failure of this film, and it's really a pity. The last of Bronston's films to be shot in Spain (although "Circus World" would be released the same year), this one is also the best by far. For once, Bronston's megalomania met with a story that benefited from it, and the result is a sword and sandal film epic in scope, grandiose in its ambition and magnificently filmed by the late Anthony Mann, who had already worked with Bronston in "El Cid".

Surprisingly, and despite its epic scope, "The Fall of the Roman Empire" is by far the most introspective of Bronston's epics. My guess is that Mann was given here a more free hand than in "El Cid", a great film often jarred by its constant use of crowd scenes. This is specially clear in the film's first segment. Just right after the credits, accompanied by the mournful score by Dimitri Tiomkin, the action of the film is basically confined within the walls of a Roman fortress in Germania, where the main characters, Livius (a wooden Stephen Boyd), Lucilla (Sophia Loren), Marcus Aurelius (Alec Guinnes) and Commodus (Christopher Plummer) stablish their characters and their roles in the plot.

It's probably the strangest beginning to a peplum ever, but it fulfills its purpose very well. Later, however, after the death of Marcus Aurelius, we get to see Rome and Persia, as Rome is endangered by Commodus' ambitions and weak policies and Livius must command his army against the Persian troops.

It is fair to acknowledge that "The Fall of the Roman Empire" never reaches its full potential, as Stephen Boyd is a poor choice for a hero. He is way too wooden, and his bleached blonde hair is simply ridiculous, but Mann and the writers are clever enough to cast him in a role in which his woodenness is not much of a problem. Simply put,  he plays the hero of untarnished honour and integrity, as opposed to Commodus misguided intentions. Anyway, as the plot develops the film becomes more choral, which also diminishes whatever damage Boyd's performance could cause.

This film is not big, it's grandiose. And I don't mean that the characters are bigger than life, the sets stunning or the battle scenes epic. It's all that, for sure, but it's also a complete radiography of the last good days of the Roman Empire before it started its long decline. Compared to this, even "Ben-Hur" looks pedestrian and narrow-minded.

And the eye candy... It's just mazing how great this film looks, and how amazing his visuals are. Just take a look, in the first section of the film, at those wonderful outdoors images packed with real snow, specially in one of the film's greates scenes, Marcus Aurelius' funeral, or the dusty, bright images of the battles in Persia, or the breathtakingly lavish Roman palaces.

And although one could argue the ample scope of the film weakens its dramatic intensity, the film still offers plenty of memorable moments in this sense. Maybe my favourite was the opening scene, in which Marcus Aurelius consults his fortune-teller, only to conclude his last days approach, or another scene later where he wanders alone in his room, feeling death in every corner.

"The fall of the Roman Empire" is arguably the last truly great peplum, and even its revamped 90's remake "Gladiator" should kneel in front of him. It's an absolutely must see for peplum and History buffs, and regular cinema goers shouldn't avoid it either, as it surpases in quality far more popular films, such as "Ben-Hur" or "Quo Vadis", even if it doesn't mind stealing some scenes from the earlier one.

See, Livius, not only I got the empire, but also the only snow proof torch in Germania. Eat your heart out!

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Herodotus
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2006, 01:50:32 PM »

Not a great movie but an enjoyable miss. Still it has an amazing cast, Alec Guinness, James Mason, Christopher Plummer, Anthony Quayle, Omar Sharif, Mel Ferrer and Andrew Keir not to mention Anthony Mann directing. It also has very high production values and you see every dollar on screen.  What makes me want to get it, beside the cast and production and whenever it gets a US release, is the memorable second unit direction by the legendary Yakima Canutt. The Persian battle scene is impressive. Canutt films the Persian chariots literally smashing into the Roman lines and sending legionaries flying in every direction and the battle while short is epic in size. If only this and El Cid would come out on DVD in the US.
    The irony of this is Fall of the Roman Empire was written by Phillip Yordan, who has a couple of films on the 50 Drive-In movie pack, one of which is the enjoyable cheesy Night Train to Terror. What a drop in quality.

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2006, 01:46:20 AM »

When I look at that picture all I see is Masala facing off against Captain Von Trappe.

Something else Yakima Canutt is famous for is the number of horses that died under his tender care.  He invented a rig called the 'flying W', which yanked a horses front feet up to it's chest when it reached the end of the rope, usually at full gallop.  I find it difficult to reconcile any admiration for his talent with my disgust at the degree of his cruelty....
Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2006, 08:36:33 PM »

This is a solid Roman Empire film like QUO VIDAS. Always liked these type films..........

BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2006, 11:10:34 AM »

(IMHO) this is so much better than "Gladiator."

I find the spectacle better.

The lighting better.

The cinematography better.

The acting better. Watch Christopher Plummer go crazy in this one, as apposed to watching Joaquin Phoenix go crazy in "Gladiator," and see which one is better in their part.

And like for "El Cid," a novelization of the screenplay was done for the film, and like the one for "El Cid," it adds elements which were not in the film.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The Fall of the Roman Empire (1964) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.