Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:48:41 AM
714442 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Feedback needed on "the last man standing". « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Feedback needed on "the last man standing".  (Read 2502 times)
Neville
« on: February 05, 2002, 05:11:12 AM »

Cannot believe this flick is not a cult movie yet. It's awesome! Come on, I need feedback about it.
Pete B6K
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2002, 07:14:59 AM »

Which one? There's three with that title.
Jim Hepler
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2002, 12:26:36 PM »

I'm assuming he means the Bruce Willis remake of Yojimbo/A Fistful of Dollars.  

I'm somewhat suprised it hasn't achieved cult status yet to.  Gotta love the scene where he's screwing an extremely chatty prostitute (still making small talk in bed..) and then two guys bust in with guns and he INSTANTLY flies off the bed and blows them away.   A few great action scenes and amusing dialogue plus lots of cheese should make it a cult classic.  Oh well.
BoyScoutKevin
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2002, 01:58:43 PM »

"The Last Man Standing." A remake of "A Fistful of Dollars," which was a remake of "Yojimbo." Never seen "Yojimbo, " but I have seen "A Fistful of Dollars," and I liked "The Last Man Standing" better then I did "A Fistful of Dollars," which, I believe puts me in the minority on that one. Enjoy!
Lee
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2002, 10:15:16 PM »

The Last Man Standing is an awesome movie. I saw it in the theatre opening weekend(I think it was opening weekend any way). I got a real kick out of it. Definately better than most of the stuff Bruce has done lately(Granted I haven't seen Bandits yet.).
Nathan
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2002, 11:15:42 AM »

And Yojimbo was based on Dashiell Hammett's novel Red Harvest, which was set in the same era as Last Man Standing.  What goes around...

Nathan
Pete B6K
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2002, 03:30:47 PM »

I was hoping he didn't mean the Bruce Willis 'Last Man Standing'. Was a little while a go i saw it and can't remember it very well, but i do remember that I hated it.
AndyC
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2002, 06:21:18 PM »

Gotta love those scenes of Bruce, in waistcoat and hat, blasting away with those two big automatics, then just letting the empty clips fall out on the floor before reloading. Very cool.

My favourite scene has to be the one shortly after he comes into town, when some guy p**ses him off and he empties both guns into the guy, sending him flying backward through the glass. Absolute silence as the dead man continues to tumble, in slow motion, into the street. It all happens so suddenly, and is over so quickly, I had to wind that back and watch it over the first time I saw it. Awesome.
Nathan
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2002, 11:09:29 AM »

I didn't hate it, but it didn't impress me overmuch.  Aside from originality issues, it's really hard to pull of an enigmatic Eastwood-esque "man with no name" character if that character is constantly given hard-boiled voice-overs.  You can't have him be distant while your simultaneously inside his head.

Great Ry Cooder soundtrack, though.

Nathan
Neville
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2002, 12:31:35 PM »

Wow! I am happy to see that i am not the only one who likes the movie. Thanks, I was starting to feel I was too weird.

Yep, I meant the Walter Hill remake of "Yojimbo", and I see most of you knew about it as well. I haven't seen it yet, but I read "Red harvest" and I think it makes a good translation of the novel. A movie universe in which almost everybody is corrupt or a bastard, the hero is not a hero at all, the victims are not really victims (Remember the bartender?) and hope is almost noenxistant.

The scene which really blew my head off was watching the law representant telling John Smith that he would tolerate one band, but certainly not two "because some corruption was almost inevitable", and that he may kill "as many gangsters as he pleased". I also enjoyed Bruce Dern and Christopher Walken in their roles, the visual approach Hill chosed and the stunning Ry Cooder score. Funny thing, Bruce Willis fan as I am, I think he is the worst of the film, not because he acts badly, that he doesn't, but because he has played numerous heroes and that made a lot of people misunderstand the movie. I think the name he chooses, John Smith, means that he could be anybody of us, and that any man in his situation would forget about any ethics and just take as many profit of the situation in Jericho. That is, his character, as the characters of the law representatives is more or less methaphoric. Do you agree? I hope I am not overanalizing the whole thing!
Vermin Boy
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2002, 10:47:24 PM »

I think I saw part of this once; All I remember is Jerry Horne from Twin Peaks getting shot by Bruce.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Feedback needed on "the last man standing". « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.