Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:26:47 PM
714480 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7743 Members
Latest Member: medikam
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Snake People (1971) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Snake People (1971)  (Read 1858 times)
Scott
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« on: August 27, 2006, 05:08:19 AM »

SNAKE PEOPLE (1971) - With the recent buzz about SNAKES ON A PLANE (2006) I thought I'd pull out this little Mexican/USA production starring Boris Karloff. It's part of my 50 Chilling Movie Pack. The movie starts off good with a midget sacrificing a chicken and later there is a voodoo ceremony involving a lady who dances around flaming torches at night were someone is about to be sacrificed and a voodoo funeral procession. In one scene you actually see a snake bite into someone, but the snake looks like a boa which isn't posionous. The problem with the movie is that there are to many snake dance scenes and the lack of story make this film almost a total waste. Worth a look if you get a chance. This film could have been a good walking dead type film, but they messed it up. Director Jack Hill helps in the direction of this odd film. Boris Karloff is looking frail and the film fails to capitalize on his part in the film.

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2006, 06:08:01 AM »

Iv'e seen this! Along with Cauldren of Blood,and another obscure Mexican film (I'llhave to look it up in my Psychotronic Movie Guide) Is one of the Kings last films.I noticed on  the Mystery Channel,last Saterday,they had SSSSS...(1974) on as well.It was quite the stinker,with Dirk Benidict playing the most clueless idiot on planet earth,being injected by Strother Martin(COOL HAND LUKE) with cobra venom,which,as anybody knows,will turn you into a giant cobra man.The makeup was done by John(Planet of the Apes)Chambers.If you wanna see a dumb naked jock singing "On Top of OL'Smokey" inna shower,and then being bit by a black mamba,this is the movie for you.I,a fool for bad movie punishment,watched this,FOOD of the GODS(1975,withthat great thespian/ex child evangilist Marjoe Gortner) and SQUIRM(Classic drive-in fun) last weekend.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Yaddo 42

Where's that brick.......

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2006, 03:30:55 AM »

This is part of that quartet of Mexican films that Karloff shot his parts of in LA when he was quite frail and near death, right? Most were released after he was gone, IIRC, and after his more respectable "last" film "Targets." It used to annoy me that people would ignore these other films just to claim Karloff went out on a high note. I've yet to see any of them, and everything I've read about them says that even the best of them are only mediocre, but the man did most of his work in the horror, scifi, and suspense genres, so unless these films reached so deeper level of trashiness or were notoriously vile, which they apparently aren't, why overlook them?

blah blah stuff blah blah obscure pop culture reference blah blah clever turn of phrase blah blah bad pun blah blah bad link blah blah zzzz.....
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2006, 06:16:26 AM »

You gotta give ol'Boris credit! The man was near death-yet he was a trooper untill the end.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Yaddo 42

Where's that brick.......

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2006, 07:59:44 AM »

Or someone might have needed the bread.

But, yeah, I'd like to think it was that he loved the work or the people that much.

blah blah stuff blah blah obscure pop culture reference blah blah clever turn of phrase blah blah bad pun blah blah bad link blah blah zzzz.....
Menard
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2006, 11:31:28 AM »

This could have been worthwhile. They have the potential imagery, but they lacked a coherent storyline, which basically meandered in different directions to evetually come to a conclusion the viewer had guessed within the first 15 minutes of the film. The direction drags and makes the film quite boring. If they perhaps cut about 30 minutes from the film and made it more of an hour long Outer Limits episode, it could have worked much better.
peter johnson

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2006, 12:42:14 AM »

I remember watching one of these -- The Scarlet something-or-other -- on the big screen in Virginia in the '60's.  Christopher Lee was in it as well, and I so wanted it to be good, but it was pretty dreadful, even by my pre-teen standards.
Endless Mexican "sex" scenes, which didn't really show anything.  Really, the only part I remember is Lee and Karloff sitting around pretending to be great wine aficiandos.
Mortality is a b***h . . .
peter johnson/cenny draine

I have no idea what this means.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2006, 01:00:21 PM »

Peter, I think the movie you are thinking of is "Curse of the Crimson Cult," though it did go by other names. As it also had Christopher Lee in it, as well as Barbara Steele and Michael Gough.
It has nothing to do with Boris' four Mexican films, which were made two years later.

His four Mexican films, though they go by different titles, are "Blind Man's Bluff," "Snake People," "Alien Terror," and "Chamber of Fear."
Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2006, 08:27:30 PM »

yep, that was THE CRIMSON CULT (1968), but wasn't one of the Mexican films. CRIMSON CULT was ok and had that good 60's feel to it even if made in England and some well known horror stars.

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2006, 06:19:43 PM »

I quite enjoyed Crimson Cult as well.It was touted as Karloff's last film.Of course he made the Mex horror fliks later...but,thats exploitation!

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
peter johnson

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2006, 04:08:48 PM »

Okay, I remember it as being so disappointing that I thought it just HAD to be a no-budget Mexican film --
Perhaps I was too young to appreciate it for what it was, though my exposure to big-screen Corman and Hammer had by that time pretty much spoiled me --
peter johnson/denny crane

I have no idea what this means.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Snake People (1971) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.