Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 12:05:20 AM
714501 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7744 Members
Latest Member: MichelFran
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  OT: Almost Getting Scammed On Ebay (be careful!) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: OT: Almost Getting Scammed On Ebay (be careful!)  (Read 1418 times)
Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« on: September 23, 2006, 04:56:13 PM »

I decided to sell an item on ebay for the very first time the other day.
I've bought several things from there over the years.
I've been trying to liquidate some of that Dr. Pepper prize I won last year into cash so I put that brand new camera up for sale.  (the one I was going to sell to Skaboi)

I suppose I should've thoroughly read ebay's security section before putting it up for sale.
Here's what happened within an hour of starting my auction:

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I received a question through the "Ask Seller a Question" feature.
The person's ebay name was do11y7.
They wanted me to immediately drop my auction and buy my item from me for $500 stating that they wanted it as a gift for "her husband".   (Keep in mind that I'm asking $350 and I'm taking a loss selling it at that price)
I wrote back and told them that I would only send them the item upon receipt of payment in full. They wrote me back saying, "OK!  Payment will be sent!"
(You can read this correspondence if you scroll most of the way down on my Ebay auction page)

They then sent me a spoof e-mail from Paypal claming that I have new funds in my Paypal account.
Of course, the money never arrived.
I forwarded this e-mail to Paypal and they confirmed that it was indeed a spoof.
The fact that the buyers address in that Paypal spoof email was listed in Nigeria also gave it away.

I even checked their feedback and they had somehow fabricated false feedback from other users making them appear to be legitimate.
How could it be real feedback from other ebay users if they're truly scam artists?

An hour later, I received another phishing scam in my inbox!
This one was from a different user by the name of smoky203 and his English was so bad, I immediately knew it was a con.

So basically, within hours of posting my very first auction, I was the target of two phishing scams on Ebay.
Fortunately, I noticed them right away and did not click on any links.
Needless to say, my first impression of selling on Ebay has been horrible.

I'm so glad I didn't click on any of the links in any e-mails I received.  I only talked to them through Ebay.
If I had clicked on a link, there's no doubt that my computer would be infested with a trojan, keylogger or some other type of malicious program.

I reported both of them to Ebay.
Odinn, you're into all that scambaiting stuff.
You look into should nailing those SOB's.

Right from the beginning, the whole deal just didn't feel right.
I'm glad I was cautious.

How about you?
Ever had any problems like this on Ebay or any other site?
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2006, 05:26:04 PM »

It bugs me that evil bastards spend their time doing this kind of stuff.  Thats a heck of a story.
-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2006, 06:24:17 PM »

I've bought and sold hundreds of items on Ebay, so I'm very careful.  One time I did get an e-mail that was supposedly from someone whose auction I was bidding on.  When I opened the e-mail, it turned out to be related to a completely different auction for something that wasn't even close to what I was bidding on.  The e-mail offered to end the auction and sell me the item at a good price if I would pay for it right away and bypass Ebay.  I did some investigating and discovered that the item was not even listed on Ebay.  I e-mailed Ebay all the information and they confirmed that it was a scam.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Scottie
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2006, 09:28:54 PM »

Ebay can go to hell. I try and try and try to talk to them to figure s**t out since I got a ton of crap from phishers and they haven't responded once with constructive answers. Paypal too. They can both go to hell. Whoever though that e-mail-based customer service was a good idea can go where I want e-bay to go too. Not a single good experience with e-bay.

___<br />Spongebob: What could be better than serving up smiles? <br />Squidward: Being Dead.
LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2006, 10:01:20 PM »

I ran into something simular a few weeks ago.
I had been looking around the web to see if I could find a bios update for this old A7A-266, & I wound up on this site called esupport.

I got emails & phone calls saying they had an update for my machine for $39.95, but that's all they would tell me. They wouldn't answer any of my questions, such as the version number, file name, release date, etc.

I'm still worried that I might have a bug in my machine.

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2006, 11:36:28 PM »

I've always been under the assumption that Ebay was particularly strict when it came to fraud of any kind.
Apparently, from reading several posts in the Ebay forums, it's terribly rampant and getting worse.
You'd think that Ebay would have this problem totally locked down but no...they don't.

And Scottie, you're right about it being a royal pain in the ass to contact Ebay about anything.
Now they have a "Live Help" option where you can IM chat with an Ebay representative but each time I've tried to use it I get this message, "We are experiencing high volume, please try again later" so basically that new feature is useless.

Also, remember what I said about that user having fabricated feedback?
I found this:
eBay has recently changed its policies to allow sellers to remove negative feedback from buyers under certain conditions. This, coupled with the ability of users to inflate their positive feedback ratings by using automated systems to generate false "sales" with positive feedback, has led to a condition where large sellers can assure themselves near-perfect feedback ratings.

Read here for more about Ebay controversy

As for Paypal, I've never had any problems with them.  Then again, I haven't had to contact them for anything...yet.  (knocks on wood)
BeyondTheGrave

Punks not Ded sez Rich

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2006, 06:54:58 AM »

The biggest problems I had with E-bay is after I paided for the item It would take weeks sometimes a month for the item to ship. I'm not talking about preorders or how long it takes to get to me house they just didn't ship it. I would write the seller asking has it shipped and they come up with  loads of exsues. As soon as I make compliant to PayPal though the package seem to ship within a day or two of the case being made against them. Thats just bad business.

Most of all I hate dancing then work,exercise,people,stupidpeople

The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2006, 08:20:56 AM »

For the most part, I have purchased comics and pulp fiction novels (Doc Savage, The Avenger) on Ebay.  They generally arrived within a week or so of when I paid (I normally use PayPal).  The only ones that took longer to arrive were when the seller specified in the listing that there would be a shipping delay.  Whenever I sold stuff, I made sure that I got to the post office to ship the merchandise at least every Saturday.  Often, I would be at the post office 3 or 4 times a week.  If the seller ships via media mail, it might take 10 or more business days for the shipment to arrive.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2006, 09:01:04 AM »

After a while you get a feel for dealing with online scammers.  If I get any sort of notification from Paypal or Ebay (or other), I never click on links in the email.  I go to the site itself and then check my messages or notifications.

On a normal day, even with the server's spam filters set a little high, I get two or three scams - usually Ebay or Paypal, but even ones for banks and such.  I also have had Nigerian scammers emailing me about buying Badmovies.org T-shirts.

As always, be careful out there.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2006, 02:11:38 PM »

Obviously, E-bay is good for some people, but I'll probably not get an E-bay, because of all the phish related to E-bay that I have been getting. As for the Pay-pal, I have an account, which I used years ago, but I haven't used since.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  OT: Almost Getting Scammed On Ebay (be careful!) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.