Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 02:07:59 PM
714583 Posts in 53100 Topics by 7748 Members
Latest Member: Lucinda02
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  THE LUCIFER COMPLEX (1978) - This is a BAD movie! « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: THE LUCIFER COMPLEX (1978) - This is a BAD movie!  (Read 1338 times)
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: September 30, 2006, 06:31:50 PM »

This movie is included in the SUSPENSE CLASSICS 50 MOVIE PACK.

This is an extremely cheap, senseless, disjointed movie, but I'll do my best to explain it.

The movie begins with a guy walking around on a deserted island.  He goes into a cave and sits at a huge computer.  He starts watching footage of wars, rock concerts, and various historical events.  Meanwhile, his voiceover narration informs us that the computer is an archive of the entire history of the world!  He sits there for about 20 - 30 minutes watching historical events and his narration becomes very philosophical.  Finally, he mentions "the great war of 1986."  Next thing you know, he is watching Robert Vaughn as a U.S. agent sitting in a nightclub watching a belly dancer (how the HELL did the computer get loaded with THAT footage?)

Vaughn stumbles upon a Nazi plot to replace important world leaders with clones.  He finds a laboratory and bunch of clones in glass tubes.  He also comes face to face with Hitler.  There is a WAY TOO LONG scene of Vaughn and some female prisoners trying to escape from the Nazi camp.  (Vaughn steals a tank during the escape . . . but I won't go into that right now).  We see about 15 minutes of shooting, explosions, people on fire, etc.  And it is all very boring.  Throughout all of this, the movie periodically switches back to the guy in the cave.  He presses buttons and adjust dials on the computer and continues with his voiceover narration.

If you break down this movie (which is about 90 minutes long) by how much time is spent on various scenes, it works out something like this:

* 30 - 40 minutes of the guy sitting in the cave watching the computer monitor and making philosophical comments.

* 30 - 40 minutes where Robert Vaughn (the "star") actually appears on screen.

* About 15 minutes of miscellaneous other stuff

* 2 minutes of irritating scenes starring Keenan Wynn

This is a patchwork piece of crap with some of the worst acting I've seen in a long time.  Vaughn must have been in DESPERATE need of money when he agreed to appear in this disaster.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Dr. Whom

Cthulhu for president! Why choose the lesser evil?

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2006, 11:37:08 AM »

The question is probably futile, but does the Nazi clone story line have anything to do with either the war of 1986 of why the chap is sitting in the cave in the first place? I wonder about these things.

"Once you get past a certain threshold, everyone's problems are the same: fortifying your island and hiding the heat signature from your fusion reactor."

Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer? Ja! ... Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput.
The Burgomaster

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2006, 05:07:42 PM »

Alex:

**POSSIBLE SPOILERS** (as if anyone really cares . . . )

The guy in the cave mentions that the Nazi plot worked and, since the clones lacked human emotions or sensitivity or common sense or something, it led to war and the destruction of the human race.  The movie never shows this, the guy in the cave just mentions it in one of his voiceovers.  Supposedly, he is one of (or maybe the only) survivors of the war.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Yaddo 42

Where's that brick.......

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2006, 06:10:42 AM »

Could it be someone trying to salvage footage from a failed production that lost funding or fell apart? Or maybe one that started and stopped several times? Vaughn and the 70s makes me wonder if it was a failed TV pilot or TV movie re-edited to try to earn back it's cost.

It almost sounds like the kind of use of stock footage that Ed Wood used combined with the grafting new story elements (or footage from other films) onto existing footage that Al Adamson used to do to flesh out or revamp his own films. Or those cut and paste jobs that Roger Corman used to use with effects footage from foreign films or those notoriously stitched together ninja films from the 80s.

blah blah stuff blah blah obscure pop culture reference blah blah clever turn of phrase blah blah bad pun blah blah bad link blah blah zzzz.....
The Burgomaster

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2006, 06:21:32 PM »

Yaddo:

According to THE PSYCHOTRONIC VIDEO GUIDE, some of the footage was from a movie that was apparently never finished (called THE WOMEN OF STALAG 13 or something - - I forget the actual title - - I don't have the book in front of me right now).  It does seem like the parts with the guy in the cave were filmed as a completely separate project from the Robert Vaughn scenes and that the whole movie was slapped together without much thought.

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  THE LUCIFER COMPLEX (1978) - This is a BAD movie! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.