Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:41:27 PM
714462 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  My Tour of NORAD « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: My Tour of NORAD  (Read 3224 times)
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« on: October 01, 2006, 09:45:45 PM »

Hi everybody.

Been a while since I last posted, but between a new job and a daughter learning to walk, I haven't had a lot of time lately. But I got to do something last week that I just had to share with you guys, since only a bunch of people who also grew up on a diet of Cold War thrillers and action movies will really appreciate how cool it was.

My wife called me at work and told me that one of the chaplains at the military base in North Bay, Ontario, just up the highway from us, was setting up a tour of their NORAD complex for some of the local clergy. Would I like to go along?

Silly question.

I'm not from around here. Until last week, I had no idea that Canada's piece of NORAD was based in North Bay, but they've had an underground complex there for almost 50 years. I figured we were going to see a cool underground bunker. Little did I know that this was the Canadian counterpart to Cheyenne Mountain. Not quite as big or fancy, but one of the coolest places I've ever been. They're in the process of shutting it down, because everything's been moved into a new building above ground. Apparently, they're not too worried about being nuked anymore, and if they were, today's nukes pack a much bigger punch than the ones fifty years ago. We learned on the tour that it was built to withstand a three-megaton blast, which is not so big when you think about it. At the end of the day, the cool factor of being underground could not compare with the convenience of being able to just walk in and out the door, the ability to see what the weather is doing, or the lower cost to the taxpayer.

Unlike its Colorado counterpart, the North Bay complex is not in a mountain. It's over 600 feet below ground (everything up here is thin soil over solid granite), and you'd never suspect it was there to look at the place. Our group went in through a gatehouse and caught a bus that shuttles people up and down all day. We drove down a ramp and into a tunnel that was sort of a large steel culvert with a garage door at the end. This was the north portal. The door opened and there was a dimly-lit, granite-walled tunnel sloping down into the distance. What was really unreal was the speed the bus travels. This thing has about a foot of clearance on each side, and the driver really stepped on it. It was over a mile of driving to the bottom, and we did it in a couple of minutes.

The tunnel eventually widened into a larger, brighter cavern where we stopped. If we'd kept going, it would have sloped upward toward the south portal, the idea being that a nuclear blast would travel straight through the tunnel. The entrances to the complex were in side tunnels, at right angles to the main tunnel. As we got off the bus, we came face to face with the entrance, complete with a gigantic steel blast door three feet thick. It even had the wheel on the inside that extends the big steel bolts when it closes. The chaplain said it weighed about four tonnes. It looked heavier. There's an alarm that goes off when it opens, so people can get out of the way. I must have been quite a sight pushing my daughter in her little umbrella stroller through that door. On the other side was another cavern, and the entrance to the building.

The building itself is a three-storey steel structure mounted on shock absorbers, that winds through a honeycomb of caves in the rock in a sort of square figure eight. Less ceiling to support that way. Inside, it looks pretty much like an office building, with some extra piping, cabling and steel beams thrown in.

Although hundreds once worked down there, there were only two guys when we visited, an old guy and a young guy who monitor the machinery. Kind of reminded me of the Maytag commercials with Gordon Jump and his protege.

Among the cooler things we saw was the power cavern. This is essentially a big cavern outside the main building, that houses the diesel generators (enough to run the entire base, above and below), fuel supply, cooling system, water supply, ventilation controls and all kinds of other good stuff. It's all pipes and cables and panels and machinery, with the catwalks and the rolling cranes. Really awesome to see.

We also got to see the room where they monitor radar feeds from across the country. It's a big room full of consoles similar to what air traffic controllers use. We looked at a map of western Canada, just crawling with little dots that gradually moved. A separate screen could display transponder information for any selected plane. We were filled in on the procedure of identifying, contacting and if necessary, guiding fighters to a radar contact. There was a funny story about a guy with a whale-watching charter business on the east coast who has had fighters scrambled on his plane four times this year. They can't send him the bill, because he's not doing anything illegal.

It was kind of amusing that in this relic of the Cold War, so forbidden to the public, there was my little daughter, happily toddling around examining the equipment. I can't wait until she's old enough to watch movies like War Games, so I can tell her that she's actually been to an underground NORAD base. How many one-year-old girls have done that? Who, of her generation will ever have the chance? I kind of felt like a kid myself, walking around with a look of wonder on my face.

Sadly, we didn't see the command post, with the computer stations, phones and big screens. It's already been cleared out.

In a way, it kind of made me sad that these engineering marvels have become obsolete. Kind of like Saturn 5 rockets. Not practical anymore, but they were something kids of our generation marvelled at. Even if it's because nuclear war is no longer the looming threat it once seemed to be (a very good thing), I can't help but feel I've lost another piece of my childhood. The world is a different place than it was when North American airspace was monitored from huge manmade caverns.

In any case, I was glad to have been able to see this one while I had the chance. It was like stepping into one of those old movies.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
trekgeezer
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2006, 06:26:06 PM »

Sounds like one cool excursion. Reminds about the U.S. abandoned missile silos, some people have actually bought them and turned them into homes. I remember even seeing one on E-bay.

I always get a kick out of looking at abandoned relics of the past and thinking about what it was like when people were actually working there.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2006, 09:08:28 PM »

AndyC, get the book by Richard Saunders UNDERGROUND BASES AND TUNNELS. Rumors of tunnels from one end of the country to the other using a couple types of advance tunneling machines. Would loved to have gone on that tour with you. Great oportunity you had. Perhaps it will be more open to the public sometime.

Denver airport also has some unusual things there with the murals, highways leading to the airport, and rumors of it being a hub for a major network of tunnels around the U.S.. Also you have underground/underwater submarine bases along the coast of California.

Dr. Whom

Cthulhu for president! Why choose the lesser evil?

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2006, 09:02:23 AM »

Scott Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> AndyC, get the book by Richard Saunders
> UNDERGROUND BASES AND TUNNELS. Rumors of tunnels
> from one end of the country to the other using a
> couple types of advance tunneling machines. >

No, those were the Chinese. Remember Battle Beneath the Earth?

"Once you get past a certain threshold, everyone's problems are the same: fortifying your island and hiding the heat signature from your fusion reactor."

Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer? Ja! ... Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput.
Scott

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2006, 09:31:36 AM »

Oh yea, I remember BATTLE BENEATH THE EARTH. Would really like to see that one again.

Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2006, 03:44:46 PM »

"Denver airport also has some unusual things there with the murals"
I had a long layover at DIA last month and spent the time riding the rails through the tunnels.  There is some neat artowrk that takes advantage of the movement of the trains to give a illusion of action.  There are indeed extensive tunnels, it put me in mind of WestWorld, all that hidden infastructure.  

On a similar note, my father was in the Air Force on missles, and spent most of his time at the missle sites.  I got to tour a few of them when I was 10 or so.  I never did get to see NORAD, but I would like to have been on that tour too.  
-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
Scott

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2006, 06:56:15 PM »

Denver Airport

Flangepart

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2006, 11:33:20 AM »

Scott Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Denver Airport

Wow. Kinda reminds me of the effect they got in 2001, a Space Oddicy, when Bowman enters the obilisk.

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  My Tour of NORAD « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.