Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:27:57 PM
714499 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7744 Members
Latest Member: MichelFran
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Source for Godzilla/Gamera Movies? What about DVD? « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Source for Godzilla/Gamera Movies? What about DVD?  (Read 2363 times)
John Morgan
« on: February 11, 2002, 11:08:48 AM »

Where can I find a good selection of Gamera videos or DVDs?

Are any of the movies available on DVD?

How many Godzilla movies are on DVD?  I have them all on VHS.  I looking for DVD.
Flangepart
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2002, 11:52:40 AM »

The latest Godzilla flicks, translated, are on DVD. I've seen them at Best Buy and Media Play. Kind of expensive, but useualy in double features. Don't know about Gamera, though.
StatCat
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2002, 05:59:35 PM »

I have that set of godzilla films on dvd that features: Godzilla, Godzilla vs monster zero, revenge of godzilla, Godzilla vs mothra, and terror of mechagodzilla, and some special fx presentaton that has nothing to do with g. All of which have a choice as to widescreen or full except for terror of mechagodzilla. I found the set for $25 awhile back which is really a good price for it because the transfers are pretty good. This set might be a little hard to find now although.

ADV released Destroy all monsters in widescreen awhile back also on dvd.

There are also the Godzilla vs King ghidorah/Godzilla and mothra battle for earth and Godzilla vs Spacegodzilla/Godzilla vs destroyah dvds which are double features.

Another one is Godzilla vs megalon by some cheap company. Not worth it but I have it anyway because I was able to find it for a low price.

And of course there is godzilla 2000 on dvd. I think that covers every godzilla film that has been released on American dvd at least. Gamera I'm pretty sure never got any dvd releases here.
Vermin Boy
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2002, 06:59:00 PM »

I think all the Gamera films (except the remake) are out of print; Your best bet is either eBay, the "used" section of your local mom & pop video store (f'ing Blockbuster only sells new movies), or possibly a comic book shop.
Squishy
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2002, 11:49:46 PM »

ADVision continues to sit on Gamera 2 & 3. They don't even have them on their "Upcoming Releases" pages, which is not a good sign, as they USED to be there...maybe, just maybe, the outstanding box office gross of Godzilla-Mothra-King Ghidorah: Daikaiju Soukougeki in Japan--well over 200% of the prior Godzilla movie's gross!--will get them all released to VHS/DVD, as they all have the same director.

...if Japan would put their DVDs out with multilingual subtitles, there'd be no problem; if you have a PC and a game machine that play DVDs, one set to Region 2 and one of the many online dealers of international DVDs solves it all...you wouldn't even have to put up with the good-only-for-giggles re-edited US versions of Godzilla King of the Monsters, Varan the Unbelievable, or Rodan...
Flangepart
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2002, 12:24:14 PM »

Here,here! I'd love to have the Toho output in the original form, with subs insted of dubs, and on DVD. There is a market, and i still don't see why Toho dosen't take advantage of it.
Cullen
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2002, 02:48:36 PM »

I don't know if they're still in busniess, but you could try Neptune Video.  They have three of the original Gameras listed there (including the original).  They had both dubbed and subtitled versions.  The downside of this is that their site hasn't been updated since, at least, 6/18/01, so I don't know if you'll have any luck.

I know for a fact you can get "Giant Monster Gamera" (subtitled original) of Amazon.  So you might want to try there.

Neptune Video can be found at http://www.neptune-media.com/
Cullen
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2002, 02:50:58 PM »

I know what's wrong with the orignal Godzilla dub (poor translation) and the Varan dub (bad movie).  But what's wrong with Rodan?  I'm not saying you're wrong about it, just wanting to know.
Squishy
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2002, 04:11:11 PM »

The "heaviry-accented nallation" waxes poetic, telling us how we're supposed to feel at the film's climax. The original ending is narration- (and dialogue-) free, and it's all up to the director. Other than that, it's okay.
Andrew
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2002, 04:24:26 PM »

I can fall either way with "Rodan."  As an adult I think that the Japanese version is definitely superior, but as a kid suddenly realizing that the monsters were human in their own right was astounding.  And the narration at that point is what did it, I remember vividly.  With the exception of Lon Chaney Jr's Wolf Man, this might have been the only film that made me feel sorry for the creature in my youth.

Nowdays I look at the Ymir from "20 Million Miles to Earth" and really feel sorry for the poor sap.

Andrew
Flangepart
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2002, 11:47:58 AM »

Same here. The Ymir espchualy. Poor schmuck! Born on an alien planet, not by his own doing, and we have to say, "Ya know, if that happened to me, i'd likely wrestle an elephant too. too bad he don't have good legal representation." Yeah, he had a right to be p**sed!
movienerd
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2002, 10:53:37 PM »

if you have a a region free player theres a Gamara box set out. i think you can get it at sazuma.com or luminous.com
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Source for Godzilla/Gamera Movies? What about DVD? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.