Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:22:56 AM
714392 Posts in 53096 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  OT: Current World Events...What Would Superman Do? « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: OT: Current World Events...What Would Superman Do?  (Read 3340 times)
Yaddo 42
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Where's that brick.......

« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2006, 12:46:25 AM »

Yeah, I did find myself in this thread wondering if it would be just Superman that would exist in our world. Since it's Ash's topic, it's his playgorund for what would become real and to what degree.

Superhero offspring commodities trading. Could someone like the girl really freelance with ease? The temptation to monopolize her would be so strong, she'd have to be shielded from the general public because of the lone wolves and fringe types. Like with the extraterrestials issue you mentioned earlier, I could see the government taking her into protective custody, for her own safety and not allowing someone with so much power to be loose.

It reminds me of the girl in the Phillip K. Dick book, Clans of the Alphane Moon, IIRC. The girl who could reverse time in small areas. She was on call at all times to reverse accidents to save lives, working with paramedics. Her powers seem put to a noble use, but she is a sad shell of person used like another piece of equipment, who isn't even allowed to have a real life. She spends her days reversing death, but sometimes doesn't arrive at the scene until after the window her powers work in has passed, and knowing that she is only staving off for a limited time what none of us can escape. Talk about guilt and pressure.

blah blah stuff blah blah obscure pop culture reference blah blah clever turn of phrase blah blah bad pun blah blah bad link blah blah zzzz.....
Inyarear
Bad Movie Lover

Slimo! Slimo! Slimo!

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2006, 10:09:41 PM »

I don't know whether this super-environmentalist would be freelancing in the most transient sense--working for whoever pays her the most on any given day--but I imagine corporations would draw up short-term contracts with her so that she works at one place for a month or two cleaning up ALL of their messes, and when that job is finished ("Pleasure doing business. Let's do that again some time!") other corporations would proceed to offer short-term contracts of their own. For all the damage any corporation can do to the environment, it's bound to take a while before any of them come up with another big job for her to do after they've had their past pollution eradicated. Meanwhile, business deals between corporations in this matter could certainly be mutually beneficial; one might see superhero trade circles with various companies having contracts with each other to pass superheros from one to the next when the job is finished. There is the danger you mention, though, of the superhero in question being somewhat dehumanized by such treatment.

The government would certainly take an interest in any superheros that did occur, as it did in Watchmen and as it does in The Incredibles. How much the government would be involved, though, would depend on the number and variety of superheros; if there were just a few, the government would have a very marked interest in their value to national defense and their well-being. If there were thousands or millions, as in DC's Kingdom Come, their powers would not be nearly so scarce, and therefore not nearly as valuable or important to the government. As with space ships, when it takes billions of dollars to make one, the government pretty much monopolizes the business, but if space ships only cost a few million dollars, most large corporations would probably have at least a few of their own. So too, if superheros were numerous and they reproduced as easily as any ordinary human does, businesses big and small would be the forces with the most active interest in superheros, with the government getting involved mostly just for taxation or (occasionally) conscription purposes.

By the way, I've also read a very amusing book called "How to be a Superhero" by Doctor Metropolis which spoofs books of business advice in suggesting ways for superheros to carve out a career for themselves, exercises to practice with their powers, finding fashions that fit their style, the dynamics of teamwork, and a special bonus chapter on being a supervillain ("On The Other Hand, Maybe You're Evil"). It plays upon a lot of this stuff, especially in its advice on finding a proper superhero headquarters and the finer points of developing a mutually abusive hate relationship with an arch-nemesis. (It proposes seeking high-crime neighborhoods in order to have legal grounds for imposing vigilante justice. It also talks about how to write an evil business plan for supervillains.) For a good dose of humor and ideas on what kinds of challenges superheros would face, that book is a good guide.

Whatever kind of Superman you have, I'll bet there are a lot of different angles you could play in a story about how the real world would affect him and how he'd affect it back. Ever seen that hilarious essay by Niven, "Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex?" That's good for some laughs and a lot of serious thought if you ever had a real Superman. (Reproduction is no mean feat if one partner is super and the other is not!) Capitalism being one of my favorite political subjects, maybe I ought to do an essay like Niven's, with the subject being the business potential and risks of superheros, and how they might affect the market.
Inyarear
Bad Movie Lover

Slimo! Slimo! Slimo!

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2006, 10:15:03 PM »

As far as I know, although Superman breathes, he doesn't actually have to breathe to live. This has been established in numerous comics and movies in which Superman is shown in situations (such as punching his way through the center of a planet) where breathing would be thoroughly impossible. Whether he even needs to eat or drink (with all the energy he soaks up directly from solar radiation) is actually somewhat in question as well, though he may eat and drink for social reasons, just as he might be breathing in public as necessary to help him blend in as Clark and not draw attention to himself. Starving, dehydrating, or suffocating Superman might be impossible.
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  OT: Current World Events...What Would Superman Do? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.