Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 03:07:54 AM
712924 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  The Crawling Eye « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Author Topic: The Crawling Eye  (Read 121123 times)
Bruce
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2004, 12:03:44 PM »

I agree with the Review - that Anne IS extremely attractive. Makes it easier to endure. When you are in the mood for REAL schlocky - this really fills the bill.
Charles McCauley
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

Seems all grounds are covered here! Yes,I have this movie in my collection.. Does anyone remember "Slaughter Of The Vampires"? I have that one, also. I must have spent a good deal of time searching out these titles and have fond memories of the era.That Chiller intro is on chillertheater.com - BOTH intros (horror clips and claymation hand!) I'm going to watch something tonight! They were the best fright a kid could have w/o reality creeping in! Looking up "Supernatural Theater" now.Wish me luck,Charlie
Bayonne
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2004, 05:26:03 AM »

I read in a magazine that the special effects guy was ashamed of this movie and never included it in his resume.
John
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

This movie scared me as a kid too. When it came out in VHS I was in college and made up the "Crawling Eye" drinking game, whenever the word "cloud" is mentioned, you take a drink...as in
PROFESSOR: "And then there is the cloud"
BROOKS: Cloud? What cloud?"
PROFESSOR: You know what cloud. The cloud where there not supposed to be a cloud"
BROOKS: "Where there are mountains, there are always clouds"

As you can see, one gets quite drunk playing this game..Excellent movie a good scare and laugh...Long live Alan Brooks!!!
Sawfish
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2004, 10:31:42 AM »

This movie scared the daylights out of me when I was a kid.....the special effects and story-line seemed so real. Forty years later I saw it again ........had a very good laugh.  
Bob
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

Oh.......It is so hot!!!

Why is it I can't get that dumb line out of my head.
:)
« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

"The Trollenberg Terror" is so unbelievably imbecilic... it's difficult to believe that Carpenter would not have shot "Fog" if this garbage had never existed...
Manuel Antares Richard Sanchez
« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

Back in the early 60's it was KGO's "Chillers from Science Fiction" that scared San Franciscans such as I.
The terror of the Trollenberg that reached so deep within me as a child was the sight and sense of those spindly tendrils being able invade any area, any shelter.

Home was no longer safe.

For days after the viewing -no, make that nights- I'd look about the house, and every room betrayed a window, or a door to the unseen horrors awaiting without. The vunerability and treachery those portals now suggested was profound.

Now reduced the scope of that realization to the memory of a small mountain cabin occupied by one lone soul watching the night mists slowly enveloping the Trollenberg, all the while unaware of the impending doom stealthily approaching him. Yikes!

Then there was the dark droning announcing the "Ixodes"* themselves. Like the fog, which in and of itself also did not kill, there was no easily escaping it.

The otherworldy drone was pervasive, permeating every corner of one's being. The walls themselves became transparent. No use, my hiding in a closet, I'd still have to listen against my will.

So, here was sound, yet another far ranging facet turned traitor. Was there any refuge out of harm's potential reach?

That's what I think scared the willies out of me as an impressionable adolescent. That's what got to me: the loss of boundaries; the breach and total collapse of any zone of protection. All it took was that dumb ol' door being knocked open in the movie. The psychological violation was visceral. Sheesh!

Okay you monsters, you watching eyes, that's bad enough, but d'ya also have to around ripping off peoples heads?! Man oh man!

Of course as an adult, from behind a different bulwark and a span of several decades, I can laugh at that. I can laugh at the risible effects, inane science, and lapses of logic that occasion the film. And I can laugh at myself. In my credulous childhood, however, no such emotional distance was afforded me.

On a lighter note:
"I love the smell of napalm in the morning and on the mountain. Smelled like...Ixodes!" (see also: Tarantula)

*"Ixodes" was the name given the aliens in the British teleplay on which this film of the same name: 'The Trollenberg Terror' a.k.a. 'The Crawling Eye' is based. I wonder if any kinescopes of those plays exist? Imagine for instance, getting to view the original Quatermass series!
timengel
« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

Sheesh - I watched this movie with my big bro when I was about 5 years old...I remember it being really scary back then (around 1960).  I was so happy when the beseiged mountain folk cooked up those molotov cocktails!
Now - if you want a good knockoff(spoof)of the old 50's sci-fi's - how about 'The Lost Skeleton of Cadavre'?  My bro just showed me that movie last weekend and I laughed so hard I spit out my esophagus!!  :o)
Bob
« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

I'm glad to see that the majority of the boarders here were affected by this when they were kids.
It did exactly what it was suppose to: scare you!
Thank God we didn't have VCR's or DVD's back then, we all probably wouldn't have as powerful memories of movies like this (along with "Invaders from Mars", "Kronos", "Invisible Invaders" etc)if we had been able to disect them frame by frame as we can today.
That being said, of course that's exactly what my kids and I do when we watch the old sci-fi/horror flics, and they're fun on a whole different level.
Speaking of which, I read all of the above comments from the 'strings on tentacles' etc. and I was surprised to see that no one seemed to notice that the British jet that was doing the bombing, was actually 2 very different and distinct aircraft.
If you want to check it out the best, pause just as the first one is peeling off and you see large ID numbers, jet engines very integral to the angular wings, no pods or drop tanks, and of course the paint is black.
Later on, we see peeling off a jet with small ID numbers, engines protruding from the more rounded wings, 3 seperate pods, and the jet is now grey!
Heck, it's all in fun, and I hope I get to see more of the old b&w 'classics'---hmmm, I wonder if "The Thing" is on tonight?
Kirk
« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2005, 07:55:33 PM »

I agree that it is a fun movie to watch with the right frame of mind (or a couple of beers).  Anybody notice the doctor give the re-animated dead man a shot to put him out?  How does that work if your blood stops pumping?
Anomar
« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

I wish you had actually WATCHED the movie. If you had you would probably realize that the "NO" came from one of the "man sized rag dolls" friends as they pulled him up(after he goes over the cliff) and see that his head has been torn off. I know as I watch that movie regulaly. One of my favorite early Horror/Monster movie. And to Bob I also have Invisible Invaders, Plan 9 from Outer Space(Bela Lugosi's last film), First Flight to Venus and many more. I love them all. (I am addicted to cheez.)
Fox Of Nod
« Reply #42 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

I found this on DVD at a K-MART! I didn't know what it was but it look like a B-movie so I had to get it. took me a wile befor i wacht it. but when I read the back i rememberd the episode of Freakazoid just from reading the discription and then i wacht it and it was good.
Fox Of Nod
« Reply #43 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

Oh and isn't the sound the things make funny as hell it just sounds like some one going aahhh!! Or something.
Colin G
« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

I see one of the postings repeats the old "fact" that Janet Munro was Caroline Munro's mother.
She wasn't.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  The Crawling Eye « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.